Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2006 Evo Tuner Shootout

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I havent talked to Robi yet, but I think he tried to run the Hoosiers but had spacer problems. Seems uncharacteristic of him to leave a stone unturned and not have tried the Hoosiers if he could.

anyhoot, those Nitto's are amazing, arent they?

I vote for a shootout in my backyard next year!!!!

This track is fun!

It would give me a fighting chance against the pro's... ha ha!!

and Vegas is only 30minutes away to boot... booze, women, clubs, shows, & much more.......

n
Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

i attended all the way from michigan....ok, so i flew in to charlotte to visit my buddy, but we still drove 1.5 hrs down, haha.

you guys might have seen the sinister S-10 parked on the lawn. oh yeah, that was us.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Nice...my car made it in the gallery as well

whoever was driving this car was rippin it!
what is your setup (motor,suspesnion)...I tried to find you went you got off the track but I believe you went to get gas and I lost you.
We were clocking you and your times were great!
Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

That's brian in the silver car, on Sunday he had his Elise on track.

He was instructing, and yes, he is quite quick.

Jon K
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:02 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

A huge thanks to everyone involved with the Shootout and the competitors.

Ali & Charles, it was a pleasure meeting you and thanks for putting on a great event. Sorry about the tequila!

Jon K. & Mark Daddio did an amazing job driving the cars. We could not have done it without your help on suspension setup and tuning. It's really a great feeling working with people that get along so well and want to achieve a common goal. Justin busted his **** all weekend putting cars on his alignment jig getting things dialed in. At some point him and I said that it was a weird feeling to be sitting and relaxed, we always felt like there was work to be done

We where running the time attack car at about 22 of boost for the event (475whp) and we saw a top speed of about 138mph-139mph on the back straights! We had plenty of power still left in it but we need to get the suspension dialed in exactly to be able to put it down. There is a great video of Jon doing a drift style exit off one of the corners! With more fine tuning I have no doubt Jon could have put the car deep into 1.43's that day.
My white street car was running about 23-24psi during practice (39Xwhp on our dynojet) and Mark was able to click off a 1.45.5 lap time in practice which was amazing. The car has a stock motor with some bolt on's and our GT30R turbo kit. I played with cam timing quite a bit on the dyno to increase bottom end torque and bring down horsepower (wider powerband). For reference, It made 425whp with cam timing straight up at that boost level. I took Charles out for a ride on the road to show him the boost level and we then proceeded to turn the boost down from there just to be on the safe side (21-22psi). For the time attack runs it was probably making 375-380whp.

Marty Grand, CJ Moses, and Dave Ackerson also had a great showing. Marty & CJ run their EVO's in SCCA T2 class, so the only mods allowed are cat-back, drop in filter & Flash. We where hot lapping the Nitto's from my white car to Marty's (1.50.x) car so I'm sure that wasn't helping Marty's or our street class cars' times. CJ was stuck on stock street tires but he hung in there and gave it his all (1.54). Dave was way down on power (310whp) to the other guys running low boost on pump gas, but still managed to pull of a low 1.52 in hot greasy weather.

Hat's off to the guys from Pure Tuning for charging hard for the 2nd place finish, Robi for making it out and running both cars, even though he had some problems. The GSC guys where great, they had heart to keep trying to get the car fixed and dialed in, too bad it didn't come together. The car looked very quick when it was out on track and I'm sure it will be hard to keep up with once it's all figured out. We'll see you at SEMA - Tequila!!

-Martin
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:10 AM

First I would like to thank PURE TUNING for giving me the opportunity to drive there fast EVO. I would also like to thank P.I.C performance for the great handling suspension and SENKO for there support. Also a big thanks goes out to Keith and Matt from Pure Tuning for all there hard work at the track.

I would like to Thank Jon K and specially his Dad for the motivations. C.J for the ride on his EVO to show me around. It was ironic that we are paired together for the Time Attack.

Also a big thank you to Rob from Robi Spec for the Motul brakes. I was behind him when he went off at the kink. I am glad that it was him that tried the kink flat. Because someone told me you can take it flat and I was not about to figure it out for myself. He did make it stick afterwards.

Thanks goes out to Mark Daddio too. We would not have made our second time run without his manual boost controler taken out of his daily driven car! Maybe we should have use the one on the Time Attack car instead to give us that extra .2 second

And to the Tuner shops that showed up, EvolutionM, Magazines and sponsors of the event a big Thank You.

Wes for taking some great photos of the EVO.

And to all the competitors. It was very competitive and still friendly atmosphere.

For 07 Shoot Out maybe do it at Indy Raceway Park. I instructed for Mazda Revolution and they did something like this.

Do an autocross one day Saturday . Drag Race at night and Time Attack on Sunday. It will be an all around competition. You can have a specialize driver for each event. It will truely showcase what the cars can do.

Clifton Ching
Pure Tuning
Old Jul 11, 2006, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK...now that I have a little time, here is my wrap up for the event:

Tuner Shootout

We had an initial field of 17 cars (6 unlimited, 11 street). A few could not make it, a few suffered various technical difficulties, and one entry decided not to compete. This left 10 total competitors that finished with 2 in unlimited, 8 in street, and 4 of them running the Nitto Spec NT-01 tire class.

The tuner practice sessions were great with almost wheel to wheel action. Some excitement came from the Auto Body Craftsmen entry (beautiful car which also won the car show race class) when he popped an intercooler pipe mid corner which led to a 6 foot flame out the exhaust that could be seen across the track in the paddock. Robi also made some entertainment with his spectacularly aggressive driving using all of the track and then some. It wasnt a good day to be a inside corner marker post on "the kink" which was taken out while the right side of the car was a foot in the air.

In competition, The AMS widebody set the pace and kept getting faster ultimately taking the Unlimited class. The GSC unlimited entry which was right on pace in practice was unable to make a complete timed competition lap, however from a standaing start out the pit on the warm up lap pulled soemthing like a 152.xxx showing both the speed of Leh and the car. Robi was fighting problems with incorrect wheels spacers and was unable to run his own wheels/tires so actually used the new ssIX wheels with 275 width Nitto NT-01 tires (at full tread) off our EvoM project Evo which he took to a win in the Spec NT-01 class presented by Nitto. He did so nearly flat out on "the kink" which is the highest speed corner at the track with a bump right before the apex. Mark Daddio drove the white Street/Nitto NT-01 Class car amzingly posting fast times all weekend and ultimately taking the street class. I want to add in a big thanks to Mark and Martin for making the power level compliance so amazingly painless for me offering to do absolutely anything I asked and ultimately turning it down even further (without me asking) just to be safe. Right behind them was the Pure Tuning street entry with Cliff doing an amazing job and coming very close to a win in the street class. We should also note that the last place in the street class was just about bone stock and on stock tires/suspension.

HPDE
The HPDE went great with absolutely tons of track time bordering on too much . I actually sat out a couple sessions. The Seat Time instructors were great and helped many of us learn quite a bit very quickly.

Car Show

The Atlantic car owned by Jeremy (dont have the last name) stole the show and had incredible attention to detail taking home Best in Show, Wild, and JDM. Race went to the Auto Body Craftsmen Red/black car. David M in his Yellow evo 8 took Mild.

Thanks to

I want to thank everyone that attended. I had a lot of fun at this event and truley enjoyed meeting everyone.

I would like to thanks Nitto Tires and specifically John Wu for letting us run the Spec NT-01 tire class with its generous $1000 cash purse. We will have an upcoming review on this great tire which I enjoyed tremendously all weekend.

Seat Time was incredible and we couldnt have done it without them. They took care of everything and had a great bunch of people. The CMP staff/facilities could not have been better as well.

Thanks to Evostore.com and Forge Motorsport for the generous giveaways and prizes

Conclusion

To wrap things up, we had a great time both on and off the track. That Chilis may be talking about us for a while. And just for the record.....I was fine with the tequila. It was the Nyquil later on that night that almost made me purge myself . For those that didnt know, I was sick the whole weekend and still am. Anyways, I look forward to doing it all again next year. And you east coasters better make it out to Cali or you get to hear it from Robi!

Results
Unlimited
1) Jon Krolewicz AMS 1:44.384 -
2) Robert Fuller Robispec 1:45.734

Street
1) Mark Daddio AMS 1:47.031
2) Clifton Ching Pure Tuning 1:47.264
3) Cory Friedman GSC 1:47.929
4) Robert Fuller Robispec 1:49.257
5) Marty Grand AMS 1:50.533
6) Kyle Germanton Driven Concepts 1:51.148
7) Dave Ackerson AMS 1:52.177
8) C.J. Moses AMS 1:54.012

Nitto NT-01 Spec Tire Class
1) Robert Fuller Robispec 1:45.734
2) Mark Daddio AMS 1:47.031
3) Robert Fuller Robispec 1:49.257
4) Marty Grand AMS 1:50.533

Last edited by CharlesJ; Jul 11, 2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

some pics
Attached Thumbnails 2006 Evo Tuner Shootout-amsmark1.jpg   2006 Evo Tuner Shootout-amsmarty1.jpg   2006 Evo Tuner Shootout-gscunl1.jpg   2006 Evo Tuner Shootout-robiunl1.jpg   2006 Evo Tuner Shootout-robiunl3.jpg  

Old Jul 11, 2006, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

more
Attached Thumbnails 2006 Evo Tuner Shootout-gscunl3.jpg   2006 Evo Tuner Shootout-gscunl4.jpg  
Old Jul 11, 2006, 04:21 PM

Sweet Pics!!!
Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

very nice pix ! anymore ? love to see them all !
Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

I like how you can see the heat waves in front of the GSC car. The track started to heat up on sunday.

Overall the weather was pretty much the best South Carolina will see all summer

Also, notice how low Robi is in the car...his seat is something like 6 inches lower than stock
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Just got home and I'm going to bed!
Had a great time, Murphy jerked me around all weekend!But I fight back But I am very happy with the results(Ali you are a saint to offer me your wheels tires). I like everyone in the evo "roadracing community" and when we compete I like them even more...Nice to meet you leh/GSC and the Pure tuning crew.
RPF-1's are 10" wide (and over 2lbs heavier than the 9/9.5 spec wheels) and at 18 offset need ALOT of work to fit under the stock fenders the rears are +38 and double on the front mods to get them to fit...I used the 245/45/17 NITTO tires and they worked GREAT...remember campers the red car ran at 305 hp 22psi stock turbo,block,head,cams,intake&exhaust manifolds, a year old flash and Buschur Racing bolt ons...NASA TimeTrial class A spec so I was very pleased with the results....I vote Spring Mountain TOO!!!!
Thanks Ali/Charles for all the effort and for my newest sponsor NITTO!...(well it covered 1/2 the fuel bill)....and for next year you east cost posers..you had your chance in your own back yard..AND I STILL CAME.....6 days (4 driving and 2 competing)5145.2 miles and $2,160.27 in fuel 2 trailer tires and one wheel...(I was asleep and my dad dragged it for 120 miles before I woke up and asked him what the sparks were..lol). SO NO WHINING no now, not ever! Compete or don't but talk only after you do! Look forward to meeting you all next year ON the WEST Coast!
Old Jul 12, 2006, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robi
Just got home and I'm going to bed!
Had a great time, Murphy jerked me around all weekend!But I fight back But I am very happy with the results(Ali you are a saint to offer me your wheels tires). I like everyone in the evo "roadracing community" and when we compete I like them even more...Nice to meet you leh/GSC and the Pure tuning crew.
RPF-1's are 10" wide (and over 2lbs heavier than the 9/9.5 spec wheels) and at 18 offset need ALOT of work to fit under the stock fenders the rears are +38 and double on the front mods to get them to fit...I used the 245/45/17 NITTO tires and they worked GREAT...remember campers the red car ran at 305 hp 22psi stock turbo,block,head,cams,intake&exhaust manifolds, a year old flash and Buschur Racing bolt ons...NASA TimeTrial class A spec so I was very pleased with the results....I vote Spring Mountain TOO!!!!
Thanks Ali/Charles for all the effort and for my newest sponsor NITTO!...(well it covered 1/2 the fuel bill)....and for next year you east cost posers..you had your chance in your own back yard..AND I STILL CAME.....6 days (4 driving and 2 competing)5145.2 miles and $2,160.27 in fuel 2 trailer tires and one wheel...(I was asleep and my dad dragged it for 120 miles before I woke up and asked him what the sparks were..lol). SO NO WHINING no now, not ever! Compete or don't but talk only after you do! Look forward to meeting you all next year ON the WEST Coast!
Congrats Robi for the NT01 Spec win!! What is the spec of your car??
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

I forgot to also thank James and Devin, Mark, and Wes for coming out and covering the event for SCC, Grassroots Motorsports, and Modified respectively. I look forward to seeing the articles

Quick Reply: 2006 Evo Tuner Shootout