Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Turbo Timer + Boost Controller

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Btw, it's also not good to idle for 5 minutes like that to warm up either. You should warm up the car by driving it out of boost until it's up to operating temps.

why?
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bad for the engine. It needs to be warmed up properly, and that doesn't include sitting at idle for 5 minutes. There is a long technical explanation of this on here, but I don't feel like searching for it.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Bad for the engine. It needs to be warmed up properly, and that doesn't include sitting at idle for 5 minutes. There is a long technical explanation of this on here, but I don't feel like searching for it.
lol, i'll find it. Hmmm. That's interesting though... no one's ever brought that up before... I've always just let it sit and warm up...
Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by PANGES
lol, i'll find it. Hmmm. That's interesting though... no one's ever brought that up before... I've always just let it sit and warm up...

Yeah, i'd like to read this aswell! I've done this too, but we all learn something new everyday.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PANGES
NO, it's definitely been brought up before. That's why I'm referring to the previous, long conversation. You let the car idle for maybe 30-60s, then go drive slowly out of boost until the engine is warm.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 09:12 AM

Warrtalon and everyone else, thanks for the info! I, too, thought I needed a TT...and I wasn't too sure if the Evo's turbo was water cooled or not. Now I have a few bucks to spend else where.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:15 PM
Qmr

Yep, thx everyone for the reply on this one. I like your example panges. I will get the power package first and if i have extra money, i will get the turbo timer after
(SoCal traffic will cause Panges example to be come weekly thing or biweekly thing and I can't just live the car idle with key in it why i'm make some drop. Plus my wife always rush me up to the mall or market for some shopping and always complain about why I still sitting in the car )

Interesting point warrtalon, I will search further for the info on idle the car for ~1min and drive w/o boost. I notice one thing that our car get warn very quick. My old prelude take > 2min for the temp meter start moving, my current accord is take ~1.5min to start clicking and my evo take 1min and it's already moving up. But normally what i wait is the rpm to go below 1200, at that point I can hear my engine sound smoothier.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Just take it easy the last few minutes before you park, then wait like a few seconds after you park. If you've boosted recently, then wait like 30 seconds or so.
a turbo timer prevents you from having to sit in your car & wait around...
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Just get a alarm system that has a turbo timer as a feature. Then your not wasteing money, since a alarm should be your first mod anyway.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

NO, it's definitely been brought up before. That's why I'm referring to the previous, long conversation. You let the car idle for maybe 30-60s, then go drive slowly out of boost until the engine is warm.
DAM! I warm up my car at idle for 5-15 min every morning before i leave for work.. I won't in the summer though, i just like the heat.
Old May 10, 2006, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

actually iirc, almost every car manual will tell u that warming up ur engine by letting it idle is bad for engine life. the manuals usually tell u to drive it at low rpm without sudden acceleration until the engine gets warm.

havnt checked my Evo's manual for this yet, but it was in my friend's new a3's manual, and my moms rx330.....

i was this close to gettin a TT, but now i have an extra 100 bucks to spend
Old May 11, 2006, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

As far as warming up the manual says the instant the temp needle moves the engine is warmed up enough to drive.

As far as shutting down the manual says if the car has been driven "normally" the car should be run for 30 secs before shutting down. If the car has been driven around "above normal" its 45-60 seconds.
Old May 11, 2006, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I have a TT built in with my alarm/remote start. I always let my cars warm for like a min. then drive slow till normal operating temps are reached.
Old May 11, 2006, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

I like my turbo timer because I can crank up the time on it then go and start my cars and lock it so it can warm up during the winter and I don't need to worry about leaving my keys in my car
Old May 11, 2006, 08:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Blitz DTT that doubles as my boost gage... the way I drive, more times than not, it adds a little time to my count down.

Just as many people will tell you that you don't need/need a TT as those who will say you don't need to follow the OE break in. Just as many will say the same as those who will tell you that you must use Dino oil to break in the car rather than the supplied OE synthetic. Just as many will say you don't need an ignition on an OE turbo...

See where I'm going? You may need a TT (someone like me probably should as I have "plower slid into my parking spot" and jumped out of my car). You may not need one and are some what "sane". However, you will not find a definitive answer here, because not a single person who has posted here (including myself) has any true scientific data to support either way.

So in close, do what makes you sleep well at night...