Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What was that noise????

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2006, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What was that noise????

yesterday on my way home from work, ( about 5 min from my house) i got to the top of my hill and this horrible chattering started comeing from about the center of my car. I just put my exhaust on last weekend so i thought that maybe it had come loose and was dragging. so i pulled over and looked under the car and nothing was dragging. i figured since i was like 7 houses down from my house i would carefully limp it home. but when i got back in the sound was gone and the ride to work this morning there was nothing?

anyone had this before or have any ideas? it sounded like a metal chattering just like my exhaust had fallen or something. no loss of power although i wasnt really getting on it. i am lost
Old Mar 10, 2006, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possibly the exhaust rubbing against the heat shield or one the the exhaust connections aren't tight enough.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

that was the first thing that came to my mind but then after i started driving it again there was no noise
Old Mar 10, 2006, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

it could be 2 things, your pipe is hitting your driveshaft. OR you didnt tighten the seals enough and you have a leak.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

ill lift it up tonight to tighten all the bolts, i know the test pipe touches the heat shield in one spot but it shouldnt rattle like that though, ill check the clearances with the pipe and driveshaft. man i almost had a heart attack when it happend!!

in the words of black rob i was like whoa!! j/k
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

how about joey from blossom "woah"
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by evozakk
yesterday on my way home from work, ( about 5 min from my house) i got to the top of my hill and this horrible chattering started comeing from about the center of my car. I just put my exhaust on last weekend so i thought that maybe it had come loose and was dragging. so i pulled over and looked under the car and nothing was dragging. i figured since i was like 7 houses down from my house i would carefully limp it home. but when i got back in the sound was gone and the ride to work this morning there was nothing?

anyone had this before or have any ideas? it sounded like a metal chattering just like my exhaust had fallen or something. no loss of power although i wasnt really getting on it. i am lost

I too had this problem when i installed my turbo back exhaust. I checked my downpipe and saw that it was rubbing up against the sway bars underneath the car. the simple rememdy was to take some spacers and put them on before the bolt, causing a minimal gap. this gap cured the metal chattering. hope this helps.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

yeah when i installed it one of the sway bars was touching in some spots, ill try your idea this weekend and check it again to make sure every thing is tight.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

same thing happend to me during lunch today, only this time i was more aware of the problem so i noticed it in hard cornering when moving kinda slow like navigation a parking lot or something. im putting spacers on the bars after i get off.