Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why does the EVO has alot of Problems???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:48 PM
-Q-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the yellow one fairly heavily modded. Went through the stock clutch in 12k miles. Other than that, I drove the living sh*t out of it for 48k with nothing more than routine maintenance.

I expect the blue one to be just as reliable.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have had my IX MR since December and i have a little over 3k miles on it now. I love the car, its awesome. I daily drive it to and from school and to and from work. Ill be honest i'm in boost everyday and definitely take it up to redline a couple times a day. I did the same thing with my very modded 97 GSX, i just can't help it. I have had no problems with the car at all, and i'm about to put the Buschur/Warrtalon Evo IX Stage 1 on with a custom dyno flash tune by the end of this month.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 08:04 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

I have had my IX since November and no problems basically. Blew off some clamps here and there, but thats nothing I would consider major lol.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

bad launching, abuse, mods without a tune = problems!

dont want problems then dont mod, if you do mod then know what you're doing.
find out what mods you need to have to be safe.
05 evo rs here, 12k miles, many highway miles, never raced and never launched, but with occasional WOT pulls from rolling of course.

in my personal opinion the evo isnt a drag racing car, but thats just me

but anyway, i am running a cat back with a test pipe and stock downpipe and havent flashed or tuned anything, with zero problems.

hope that helps.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

I have an 03 with nearly 30k mi and have yet to have a problem. The stock clutch is still holding and I haven't had any problems with 5th gear grind or the T-case. I do launch on occasion and drive the car hard quite often, but I don't have any powertrain mods and I meticulously maintain the car. That isn't to say sensible engine mods will lead to problems, but if have tons of mods, drive like an idiot, and don't take care of your car, things will break in a hurry.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:13 AM

thx for the help guys.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

03 here with more problem then you can shake a stick at....

O yea and un-modded
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

I just daily drive my car and im at 30,000 miles with 0 problems. Only problem I have is keeping my foot off the gas on on-ramps.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People can say whatever they want about the EVO the package delivers great performance. The interior is bare bones econostyle, the suspension is firm, so you get lot's of creaks, squeaks, and rattles. The engine is stout, but once you start modding all bets are off safety is in the tune and octance. The weakest part of the car it the drivetrain. The same thing that gives the car it's "Edge" all weather performance, launch capability, is also the same thing that will break easily.

There is no way to bulletproof the EVO drivetrain that is a fact. It's a art to launch these cars and if you don't have the touch and a mushy tire see ya in AWD graveyard.

For 30K it's a great car, but Nissan's Attessa AWD system and Porsche's have always been far superior.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

Get the 9 and leave it stock if you dont want any problems. Its still a fast car stock and has lots of warranty. I have an 03 evo and i have not had many problems with it. Sometimes i would get a grind and locked out of gears at high rpm's but the powerflex motormount solved everything. I never got any codes when it was stock. Once i started modding it a code would pop up. You have to follow the correct mod path in order for everything to work properly without problems. Every once in a while i get the po300 code when the AC is on but thats ok with me. Not a big problem for all the mods i have.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Another thing is that this car IS NOT for everyone. I knew this when i bought my evo. Mine is a daily driver. Once you have lots of mods its a different car. You have lots of power and speed but you will lose comfort on the other hand. You will learn how your car likes to be driven so you wont get any CEL's or stalling when the AC is on. You will also have a LOUD exhaust with a loud fuel pump. My wife hates my car cus of the bad comfort. She loves the AC and loud music, but it makes it hard for me to drive the car.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

still mitsu has improved alot. my evo is like a toyota sedan comparing to my old

99 eclipse GSX. i had 100s of problems with that car. im close to 20k miles and

havent had single major problem. i expected the tranny to be notchy, definitely

expected a lot of interior noise so i dont have a problem with that. mechanically, it's

been solid.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:28 AM

NO PROBS W/ MY WW 05 RS
Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

my IX is excellent so far, the love for the car totally out weighs its problems.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 08:07 AM

I can honestly say that the EVO has been a great car for me.

I have an 03 (bought 3/03) and it has been every bit as good as the past 7 Honda's I have owned if not better in some respects.

I have had no real issues outside the Brembo paint and CF spoiler pealing (after 2 1/2 years).. Both issues easily resolved, $5 clear paint for the brakes and a low profile spoiler (~$150) and the car looks better than before. Oh and a few of my dash lights burned out. 

The stock clutch lasted over 30K miles and was still perfectly fine when I replaced it with an ACT.

I have owned many brands including Subaru which I had nothing but issues with (it was a Forester). I am sure many folks have had great luck with Subaru so no knock there as I absolutely loved the car…

I would say that anyone looking to get an EVO needs to be prepared to really look after the car as it needs a bit more attention in terms of maintenance (oil, tires, plugs, etc).

I would also say that a new EVO owner should also understand the inherent nature of AWD as compared to RWD or FWD when attempting to launch the car hard, etc...

Issues resulting from not understanding (respecting) that AWD can and will break more "willingly" on ANY car or truck can lead to major frustration... Again, that is the same with most any AWD manual equipped vehicle especially when you start pushing the power higher and running to the edge of capabilities drag racing and such... I am sure if I had made the choice to drive my EVO the same way I did my previous Integra Type R or my Turbo CRX I would have destroyed it long ago…. It is a different car and needs to be understood and driven as such. In saying that, I by no means intend to say that it is not possible that others have had valid issues as I am sure they have… I personally have not had issues and I attribute it to the fact that I don’t drag race the car and have never really dumped my clutch. I don’t baby the car, just take care and have fun…

Quick Reply: Why does the EVO has alot of Problems???