Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why does the EVO has alot of Problems???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2006, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am looking forward to buy an EVO IX, but i dont know why those cars have alot of propblems, i dont know if its me or what, but from my research, some ppl here with new EVO9 with 2000k on it have problmes such as:
-tranny oil leak
-TC leak
-somPPL with EVO 8 blowing motor from 15k to 40k
-gears grinding
and many other problems that i dont remember at the momnet.
is it the driver? or because its a MITSH? is it the tunning? what is it exactly, i know most of u prob gunna reply saying its prob the tunning, but what about Stock evos? why they have problems?
To be honest i wasnt really a big fan of MITSH till the evo came out, thats why i wanna get one, specially the 9, bigger turbo and front and back LSD.
The reason i asked these Q, bc i know some ppl out there are thinking about buying the car and these kind of Q starts to go on in their heads.

sorry for the long Post, lets see what you all got to say!
thanks
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:01 PM

well so far i have 3300 miles on mine and not one problem.
except that someone broke off my mirror but that doesnt count.

some cars just have problems some dont.
i also think some is just driving, but who nows.

all i know is i love mine and am totally happy wth it.

sean
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

All of the above... and people with bad grammar that say MITSH instead of mitsu... But really, its everything that causes the problems that's why there's so many. A lot of the TC problems are driver related.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to remember that the Evo is a HIGH PERFORMANCE car. With that, you have to pay more attention to maitaining it, be more thorough when you modify it, and understand that sometimes stuff will break. On a car built for performance, one that is built in relatively low numbers worldwide, sometimes you will get some stock stuff that will fail. This ain't no Camry or Accord (thank goodness!). But, I wouldn't get rid of mine because of any of that. Take care of it, and the Evo can be a reliable ride. And the most fun you can have behind the wheel.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a 05 evo 8 with 10k miles on it with just two problems. The first one is my 3rd and 5th gear grind and the second is my car getting keyed. Other than those two I am in great shape!
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

It only seems like there are a lot of problems with them because of how many people modd them..... how many EVO's have you heard of that have Fu*ked up and havent been to the track or modded????
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

I own a 03 VIII and it has had nothing but problems.

Tranny has been in for repair TWICE!! And it was a fight both times. Just got it back 1 week ago still has a horrible sound coming from the tranny.

On my way home from the dealer the check engine light came on. Come to find out the EGR valve or soemthing like that **** out on it. This will be replaced when the dealer gets me in to look at the tranny for the 5th time.

Also have had the radio stop working twice. Im on my 2nd radio and it stopd yesterday and will not power on. And yes I checkd the fuses.

So basicly its a lemon POS

EDIT min has never been modded and never been to the track. And has 26k miles on it now.....

EDIT EDIT: Clutch at 16k and another one at 25k due to the ****ty tranny ****ing it up and waiting so long to get it fixed. Clutch was fine untill the grinding got worse and then it went downhill and is extreamly worn.

Last edited by Fusion7; Mar 11, 2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
seems like a lot of 03 evo's have problems. My 05 evo never gave me a problem at 19k, just had tol replace the usual like brakes, tires and changing oil.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Most problem start when owners start to mod their cars without having some sort of ecu tune done. Running intakes, boost controllers, TBE, and the like without been tune causes big strains on the engine that you do not notice until is too late.

So far I personally have had no problem so far but only a sometime whinning walbro fuel pump
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

How about going to school and finishing English before you look into buying a $30k car?

Modding = problems.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regardless of how many times these threads get posted you will always get the same responses. Some people have had good experiences and some people have had bad experiences. The blame goes back and forth between the driver and the vehicle. It looks like you already did some homework on the vehicle and this post is just like beating a dead horse. Either you want one or you don't. These posts should not influence you either way but only make you more indecisive.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 models have more problems who knows why??
i have a 05 model jdm with 9000miles on it and i have done a zillion races with it and have done 30+multiple passes through the track and i rev it to 7000rpms and dump the clutch and i have never had any issue whatsoever with the car! maybe its luck or who knows??
but i do regular checkups to it and change the oil every 2500miles!!
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

I have an 03 with 41K and have had no problems at all. I question the younger set who get this as a first car. You DON'T learn to drive a stick with this car! Get a beater it will serve you a lot better to learn with.

I have a TB with a K&N drop in for mods for now. More to come in the future.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Max Speed
i am looking forward to buy an EVO IX, but i dont know why those cars have alot of propblems, i dont know if its me or what, but from my research, some ppl here with new EVO9 with 2000k on it have problmes such as:
-tranny oil leak
-TC leak
-somPPL with EVO 8 blowing motor from 15k to 40k
-gears grinding
and many other problems that i dont remember at the momnet.
is it the driver? or because its a MITSH? is it the tunning? what is it exactly, i know most of u prob gunna reply saying its prob the tunning, but what about Stock evos? why they have problems?
To be honest i wasnt really a big fan of MITSH till the evo came out, thats why i wanna get one, specially the 9, bigger turbo and front and back LSD.
The reason i asked these Q, bc i know some ppl out there are thinking about buying the car and these kind of Q starts to go on in their heads.

sorry for the long Post, lets see what you all got to say!
thanks

I dont really know what you're talkikng about man... I've got 11,000 miles on my 2005 MR and I havn't had a single problem. I cruise long distances at 80+ MPH for hours, RPMS much past 3k and I've never had any issues.

If you go looking for people with problems of course you're going to find them. But thats the case with any forum. One thing you should take solace in, is that mitsubishi has a great warranty. If you can show some restraint, and not mod your Evo, you might actually get to use it
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

I think that alot of these problems can be related to driver error and lack of up keep. I have been to the track and launched my 05 many of times and have yet to have any problems. I have even drove my car from coast to coast. I have 25000 miles on my car and it runs like the first day that I picked it up from the dealer. Alot of these people don't understand that you have to break the engine and tansmission in. This includes if you have a new tansmission put in. The break in period sucks but it is a MUST! People pay good money for these cars and just think that you can put on the normal bolt ons and be done but it is a must that you get a custom tune. DON'T do the mail in re-flash if you can avoid it. Go for the dyno time and have a custom tune made for your car.

Quick Reply: Why does the EVO has alot of Problems???