Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Do Evo's have a 'black box'

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2006, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it only records the last 15 seconds of the sudden change in cars behavior. Like if you were in an accident, motor blew up, or braked real hard, airbag popped out or sudden drop in speed before the car shuts down.

This also records the 15 seconds after your ECU Hard code comes up.

Yes, we have it. where? it's incorporated with the ECU, accessed by the OBD II port.

They could be accessed at the dealership, and they could show how fast you were going at what rpm, and general car monitoring, such as egt, coolant temp, oil temp, etc, before you blew your motor up (for example).

I had my info read out to me at the dealership before. This is used frequently by the district managers, if they have to warrant a blown motor or something like that, but they never usually tell you about it.

If you don't think we have it, I think you need to make sure what you say before you speak so fast.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

My focus had something like that. I got a tire blow out at 80mph, cracked my rim, and my seat belts locked and never released. I then replaced the rim and brought the car to Ford.

While replacing the seat belt the techs at Ford said my car recorded high amounts of G-force, like an accdent. I told them I did not just so I can get covered in the warranty. They were puzzled since the data showed otherwise. Luckily I got covered though. Yes I know it is bad but you would have done the same thing.
Evolved Member

Scion Tc's I know have them. I was informed by the Sales person when I bought mine last year. It will record the speed you were going and some other stuff if in the event you get in an accident.
Evolving Member

My car has one under the hood on the drivers side. There's some sorta filter in it too.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

only thing is that they can't use that to convict you or deny warranty on your car.

it violates every privacy law in the constitution.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
No black box my friend. We would have all taken them out or bypassed them by now.
You are not 100% correct. It depends. Evo 8's do not, evo 9's do. Let me repharase this actually. My 03 Evo 8 did not have one, my 06 evo 9 does have one.

Use the search or read your user's manual to find out more.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

the way the dealers find out about redlineing it is the go into freeze frame data for the codes for missfire and what not that triped when you threw a rod through your block. when a dtc is tripped or recorded the ecm takes a snapshot of a bunch of parameters right at that moment like o2,maf,rpm,self adaptation, ect..............some makes\models save very little data, and some can store 60+ different parameters depending on the code tripped. they dont however keep running log over time though. the data collected by GMs and others "black boxs" is stored in the airbag module in an accident and it costs alot of money to extract (like 5 grand if I remember correctly) and is rarely done
Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:12 PM

only really nice cars have these dont they? like the new vette
Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

last I heard, 2006 models cars will all have these, then by 2008, it'll be mandatory for all manufacturers to have these installed in their cars.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 09:31 AM

every car with an airbag module records the last 5-10 seconds before impact. This is only helpful for investigators looking for answers. If you are sppeding and you crash, the module records it.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 01:21 PM
m2
Evolving Member

Funny how folks rushed to criticize the poster not knowing that they were the oblivious ones. I saw a special on these black boxes the other day. I also know that major insurance companies including the one I work for are pushing for these things so you can bet that they will be standard in all cars in just a few years. I believe the special that I watched stated just that.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 01:31 PM

http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,67952,00.html

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...ack_boxes.html

Read and learn, my friends.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

I had gotten into a single car speeding accident with my last evo and I pulled the ECU as soon as it got delivered to the junk yard the night of the accident. I took a magnet to the ecu and severed all the chip pins.

Yeah.... Cuz I was hauling a$$ full throttle at the top of 4th! Walked away from court like the teflon don due to insufficient evidence!!!
Old Nov 2, 2006, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well its all computer right? cant anyone learn how to change these things? take it off?
Old Nov 2, 2006, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I think an aftermarket ECU like AEM, or Motec would avoid the record. Expensive, but in the long run may be worth it. ...or you could just drive fast on the track and not on the street.

Quick Reply: Do Evo's have a 'black box'