Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dilema about buying an Evo, I need your input!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dilema about buying an Evo, I need your input!

Hey guys,

I am new to the evo world. I have been following it for a little bit, but I don't own one yet. I need to order a car this week . I am thinking about a 06 MR BR350. I just have a problem. I am 32 years old and very mature. I have been racing a Bimmer in SCCA for the last 4 years. I want a car I can have fun with and go to the track once in a while, and probably do a couple autocross, etc.. I am thinking that I do not want to do major mods to the cars (the BR350 is pretty good from the start), I just want to add a roll bar and seat belts for now. I respect my cars and treat them well. I like to drive fast but not in straight line. I am verry cautious and try not to get in trouble too much, but the problem I see is that I do not wanna be associated with a lot of 18y old tunned civic driver who think that dra racing is racing and who spend more time in a parking lot showing off the chrome on his engine that actually drivind the car. I can not stand car shows of this kind of cars. There is nothing beautiful enough about a 4dr sedan to show off anything. I don't know if you guys get my point. I love cars for performance and because I love driving. If I want to show off something, I have plenty of other toys that are full customs and great to look at. I do not know how many adult are on this forum. By reading some of your post it seems like there are a few. I guess I just need to forget about the bad image that kids put on those kind of cars and just get one. I just wanted to get you guys input and to see how many think like me... I do not mean any disrespect to anybody, I just want to see what you guys think. Thanks,

Doowop.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you are on the right track, that car (BR350) would be the best of both worlds.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think for the most part you are going to have the ricer image in the eyes of 90% of the people out there. They are the ignorant majority who know nothing of the purpose behind the styling of the Evo and think that big wings and aero pieces are just for show. You should get the car for yourself and try not to worry about things like that. I see the way people look at me in my Evo and I really do feel sorry for them because they just don't understand.
Evolving Member

What's the price/performance. BRs are a bit pricey. my thoughts would be you could do the same for much less. Especially working on your own ride.
Evolving Member

You should get the car because you like it or want it. Just because there are some immature street racing Evo owners out there, it doesnt mean you have to be one.

I am 33 and know plenty of local guys my age that have Evo's.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

I'd buy one as well, if it were'nt for the image. I'm hoping that the next generations will not only offer better performance, but will provide styling that a grown man can drive.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Heres my opinion, you seem very mature. So, the evo will have some pros and some cons for you. It is labeled as a "boy racer" with its large wing and econobox looks, but if you're able to get passed that, then you have one heck of a sports car. Its incredibley nimble on the corners, can be driven in any weather condition, has instant tuneability, and won't cost much for light modification. If you de-wing it, i think you would like it more since you don't want much attention.

A major problem for you coming from a bmw will be the harsher ride. You need to testdrive one to see if its right for you. With all that performance, you sacrifice a much harsher ride compared to what you previously owned. So daily driving might be a factor worth considering.

For track purposes, its a wonderful car and you won't regret it. It ultimately will come down to the testdrive for you i think. Also testdrive the sti, its interior won't turn you off as much, its near the level of performance of an evo, and has a smoother ride. It also has better customer service. However it has a superfugly front end, its not as good on the track (regardless of what sti owners will tell you), and its a pain to mod.

I think if you plan on making this your track car with a separate daily driver, youll have a ton of fun. If you plan on both driving daily and having a track monster, coming from a bmw i and being in your 30s, i don't know if the evo is right for you, again it comes down to the testdrive being that i don't know you personally.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:47 AM

What you drive does not define who you are. If you get the EVO and you end up chroming it out and putting neon lights around the intercooler, then you deserve being called a ricer. My point is that if after a test drive you like what you see,how it handles, and the power it has- then go for it. You wont regret it.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:52 AM

WOAH thanks for you guy responses so quick.

My bimmer is a lot stiffer than the evo. It is a full prepped race car(and I made it street legal ). I do not mind the rough ride at all. I would rather sacrify the ride a bit but have something that handle great and do not lean. I test drove a 05 RS and I loved it. I didn't feel the ride too stiff at all. I haven't test drove the STI yet, but I can't stand the look of the 06, so I think it is out of the choices and I can't stand the blue interior, and all the test I have seen, the Evo is better. I am planing on driving the car as a "daily driver" except, I have a couple bike and a cool 50's custom I drive around too, so it won't be everyday, depend on the schedule I make to switch from toy to toy!! I was thinking that the BR350 was a car already moded a bit to make it more fun, and that I can buy that, put a roll bar and real seal belts, tint the windows a bit.... and leave it like that. I am thinking of eventually in a couple year make it a full race car to replace the bimmer, but I do not want to compromise the reliability too much. There is no need to have a 600hp car on the street. Most people already have no clue what the stock evo is capable off and keep adding power and make a lot of mods too them. It is a huge waste of money. For me, if you have never been on a race track and tested the limit of a car, you never drove a car... Anyway, I usually like to do everything myself on my vehicles, but I think the BR350 is a good compromise and I can have a moded car already in my loan ...
Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

I personally wouldnt go with a BR car, I don't see anything wrong with the Evo though, its got 4 doors, seats 5, plenty of go, has a good amount of storage space, its AWD for the snow, good brakes, fairly reliable.

I think the major downside for you would be the "boy racer" image it comes with, however I think if you remove the wing and lower the car it doesnt look so much like a "boy racer" anymore and looks a lot more like your avg. 32 yr olds sports car. Even if people give you funny looks and what not just downshift the mother****er and be on your way

Everytime I need some motivation I just watch the clip from top gear where an fq400 Evo runs down a Lambo on the track, the Evo is a purpose built road going rally car, nothing more, nothing less.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:28 AM
Account Disabled

i would just get a standard IX and do the suspension myself, if you want the warranty get the br, you'll probably end up selling the Bilsteins though. Heck you could just get the pss9's, and be happy with that,saves alot of money
Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RobDogg
i would just get a standard IX and do the suspension myself, if you want the warranty get the br, you'll probably end up selling the Bilsteins though. Heck you could just get the pss9's, and be happy with that,saves alot of money
Yes if you do go with a IX it seems some are breaking into the 11's already with just a TBE/Flash/MBC, if you bargain shop you'd be looking at $800 for TBE $200-400 for a flash and $100 for an MBC, the BR package is what $3300? For less than $1500 you'd be right there with the BR car.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:48 AM

Style is an Invididual Choice

Okay, I'm sorry to sound a bit, "childish" but it seems that you have a stereo type attitude about this car.

Fist of all I'm 41, and my evo is my dream car. Outside of a Lambo, or 500SL, it's the only car I want to drive, period! I've been in love with this car since the day I bought it and I will drive it to my grave.

With that said, I guess in your mind I'm a cheap, 41 yo ricer. Because I do show off my car at, especially when requested. I'm often asked to "pose" for pictures, (The car not my old butt) and both young and old are there to enjoy. I have neon lights on the bottom and in the engine, blue to go with the car, and can be set to different schemes. It cost me about 1500 to get installed correctly and is not some cheap thing. Then I have a NOS kit, 100% real, that purges though the hood and is lit in blue as it goes over the hood. Also not some cheap bolt on and had my mechanic do this for me also.

Then to make me even more childish, I when I'm feeling good I pump out about 500 watts of music, (even rap sometimes) because I like it! Just like I did when I was 18.

18' Enkie RPMs with custome (Blue) bolts, and some blue items inside, brake handle and shift nob, about 275 and 150 respectively.

Sorry, but not only do I enjoy my car, so do others including my local police department.

Opps, and before I close I also push about 350 to the wheels and have about the same level of torque! I race both track and quarter, 12.2 is best so far but I suck at driving.

Did I also mention I have blue oakleys?

Anyway, my car is me and I'm ok with that. Don't worry about me or anyone else, but the car you want. I have over 50k of my own money in my car and also can't stand a honda owner that bolts on a tail pipe and some stickers. By any standard the EVO is hands down one of the best performing cars on the market, no matter what color or accessories.

I'm in love! Good luck in your purchase and come on down to Texas with that "other" car and this old ricer will hand you your butt, and you can pick the challenge.

Greg
Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

I am 42 years old, Doowop, a professional with three kids and a wife who's also a professional. It was a little hard to convince her to go along with the purchase, but this week I bought an Evo IX SSL. We both love it.

I plan to remove the wing but leave the holes (cover them temporarily) so that I can replace the wing when I want. Without the wing, the car looks pretty sedate. I attach a picture I got off this forum. It's perhaps the best car I've ever owned. I absolutely love it. And a lot of the people on this forum seem pretty cool, too.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rod Munch
I am 42 years old, Doowop, a professional with three kids and a wife who's also a professional. It was a little hard to convince her to go along with the purchase, but this week I bought an Evo IX SSL. We both love it.

I plan to remove the wing but leave the holes (cover them temporarily) so that I can replace the wing when I want. Without the wing, the car looks pretty sedate. I attach a picture I got off this forum. It's perhaps the best car I've ever owned. I absolutely love it. And a lot of the people on this forum seem pretty cool, too.
Like I said about 4 posts up, take off the wing and it doesnt get all that attention! Congrats on the IX and welcome!

Quick Reply: Dilema about buying an Evo, I need your input!