Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I need some help on ideas to secure my subwoofer box in my trunk.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some help on ideas to secure my subwoofer box in my trunk.

Ok... so i've got a pair of 12" boston acoustics pro series subwoofers and a SoundStream Reference 500s amp running at 1 ohm and the subs are mounted in a sealed enclosure. I had them previously in my Audi A4 and luckily the Audi had 4 bolted in metal hoop type attachments on the floor of the trunk for using their tie down cargo net, etc. I ended up putting two O ring bolts into both the left and right side of the box and used a steel quick release thing from home depot to secure the O rings to the tie downs built into the car.

Now... of course the Evo doesn't have tie downs on the floor of the trunk and i'm trying to figure out how i can secure the sub box from moving around, plus i'd like to keep a similar configuration to the Audi since i can easily remove the sub box to make room if i need to carry something or if i'm at the track.

Have any of you drilled holes into the metal floor of the trunk under the carpet to make such a tie down? I'm not sure what is exactly underneath the area where i'm considering doing this and i'm sure the fuel tank is further foward under the rear seat if i recall correctly. I just don't want to punch a hole in the tank and cause a disaster.

The box itself is 28" long, 15" high, and 12.5" deep. Here is a photo of it when i had it installed in my Audi.

I'm not sure where i'll mount the amp yet either. But i'll deal with that in time.

Thanks in advance!

-Andrew
Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Metal "L" brackets from hope depot screwed into the back seat and top of the box. or if you dont want to drill, you can give velcro strips a shot although your box probably weighs too much for that..
Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:08 PM

I was lazy.... i just shot some screws through the lip on my box into the floor, one on each side was enough. its been in there for 3 months now with no probs!
Old Mar 19, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

I cut two sections of 3/4 MDF and glued them together. Covered with matching carpet and squeezed it in between my box and wheel well. Repeat for other side. Cheap, quickly made, no drilling required and keeps box in place.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is what I did. The box is secured at the bottom only. I simply bolted the L brackets to the wood floor in the trunk. I did not attach the brackets to the box as to leave access to the spare tire.
Attached Thumbnails I need some help on ideas to secure my subwoofer box in my trunk.-dscf0070s.jpg   I need some help on ideas to secure my subwoofer box in my trunk.-dscf0073s.jpg  
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

I like djscoto's idea. I would do something like that.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used 2 bolts with eyelets and screwed them into my sub box, then I got some bungy cord and secured it to the eye bolts and to the little holes in the upper part of the trunk, works really well.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My idea may not work with that box since could be top heavy upon acceleration. I would recommend maybe a combination of our ideas to hold it in. Bungee the top, and use L brackets on the bottom. If you need more info on the L bracket install, just let me know.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:49 PM

just screw it to the floor the seat will work also
Old Mar 19, 2006, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Velcro?
Old Mar 19, 2006, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slow_evo
Velcro?
LoL. There is no way velcro is going to hold this box in place. Its way too heavy. plus i dont want to take any risk damaging these very expensive subs.

I've been McGeyvering (sp?) my car all day today. Hard wired my Valentine One radar detector and a nice remote hidden display a friend tore apart to make it like 1/6 the thickness. Also took out the ashtray, spent a ton of time with the dremel and mounted an I-Pod dock inside. Its amazing and completely out of sight unless i flip it open and click in my i-pod. I'll be posting photos and a writeup tomorrow after the JB-Weld is completely set and i tear the dash apart to wire it to the head unit... (and change all my climate control/clock/cig lighter LEDS to red.