Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo as a first car with Manual Transmission.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driving stick is all about experience. just get the car as ur only car so u're forced to drive it everyday. during ur initial practices, just remember the do's and don'ts.

just dont burn ur clutch (too much clutch) and don't stall (too little clutch) and u'll be fine driving the Evo as ur first stick shift car around. go to parking lots to practice 1st gear starts for hours at a time, this way u can find the proper friction point (the point where the gas kicks in and the car starts to move - usually around 12-1400 rpm), and this way u wont burn the clutch or stall the car since u'll know exactly how much to let go of the clutch and how much to step on the gas.

the rest of the gears are pieces of cakes, and just takes everyday driving to perfect. if u drive the Evo everyday with enough parking lot practices initially, u'll be set in a week or two then at that point u can start learning how to rev match, heel toe, double clutch if u're bored, etc etc....

once u drive a real manual car, there's no turning back
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

also learning what the clutch does relative to the engine and drivetrain will help u visualize what u're actually doing to the car by pressing/releasing the clutch.

www.howstuffworks.com - if u read up on drivetrain, clutch, etc, u'll learn even faster. and this will give u better foundation to learn the more advanced technique such as heel toe and rev matching later on good luck mate any more Q's u can pm me.

once u get the hang of driving stick, any stick shift car is the same. it's all about how fast u can find the friction point of each car, and after that u can drive any manual
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

If you have driven a manual a few times like you say you have then you will be fine. Just takes a little adjustment and time to get used too it. If you have never driven manual ever then mebe try practing a bit on a friends car b4 jumping in an evo. It is alot different then others cars and can be a hassle to adjust too.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The evo was my first manual car too. I learned stick from driving a Civic and then moved my way up to AWd in a sti. The easiest one to drive i would say is the EVO. You just feel the car engage better then the sti and civic.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

the evo will by my first manual car also, but I have done a lot of reading about how manual transmision works just preparing for the Evo.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

evo was my first manual car, it was abit harder then learning on a lower powered car, especially this thing moves., but yea its easy to learn should take no longer then a week tops. to get it down pact takes a few months to years
Old Mar 20, 2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by bestthereis27
Hey guys,

A buddy and I were looking at getting EVOs. I have driven stick a few times and he has never. We both never really had a car of our own that was stick.

My question is, how tough is it drive an EVO, if it is your first stick? Was the EVO the first manual for anyone on this forum? How was your experience?

Thanks

My evo was my first manually driven car. Prior to the evo, I knew of how to drive stick. I was good after a week.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

the evo was my first manual car and it really doesnt take long to figure out how to drive
Old Mar 20, 2006, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

To be honest my evo was easier to drive than my 00 civic si. Unless my 00 civic si had an aftermarket clutch my evo was way easier to drive. One thing I find difficult about driving the evo is that sometimes the rpms drop faster than other times making it very inconsistent on how fast to shift. Besides that it's a breeze to drive and pure Joy!
Old Mar 20, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

first stick for me too but i had cars to learn on before that like porches and jeeps. i will say the evo is difficult to drive smooth at first but once you know what youre doing its like any other car. now i get in someone elses car and i can drive it with no problem at all. the evo has made me a better driver in terms of clutch engagement ect.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

My g/f drives stick everday its pretty easy. W/ awd you will havel to make some adjustments to your clutch release though, its not as prompt os a rwd of fwd car
Old Mar 20, 2006, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Not my first, not by a long shot, but it's a pretty easy shifter to drive; you should be fine all else being equal.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 04:03 PM

Easier than most. Gears engage crisply and it's very difficult to get in to the wrong one by accident as opposed to most cars. Both my kids learned on Saturn's and they were much harder to shift correctly than this car. My wife hates manuals, and drives it only if she has to, but doesn't really have any trouble at all.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Yup. My brother learned in his new WRX and he's an old hand at it now.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 04:30 PM

Very easy to drive around town, each shift just seems to lock into place. Maybe have
to give a little more throttle than most in first gear from a stop.

Quick Reply: Evo as a first car with Manual Transmission.