Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo as a first car with Manual Transmission.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2006, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its very easy you just have to get used to the engagement/disengagement point on the clutch, it a bit more sudden than most other cars. but as soon as you learn, my advice is get a short shifter, a GReddy counterweight knob and some shifter bushings and you'll be flying through the gears
Old Mar 20, 2006, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

my gsx was manual. It takes about a day of driving in traffic to get the hang of it. It seems like the clutch in the evo releases realllly high compared to my gsx. So it took me a few days until I felt really comfortable with it (like on steep hills with cars 2 inches from your bumper....bastards)
Old Mar 20, 2006, 06:28 PM
Account Disabled

Steep hills always made me a little unconfortable, especially with those guys right on your bumper. Just learn engagement/disengagement point on the clutch, there may be times where you mess up but thats what you learn from. You may burn the clutch a little when learning but it all comes down to how much you practice. I reccommend going to one of those mall lots and try and practice on one of those inclinded passages. Other than that, treat the machine with respect and it will in return, treat you with respect.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does stalling the car do any damage to it? Just curious....
Old Mar 20, 2006, 06:33 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ThunderOZRacer
Does stalling the car do any damage to it? Just curious....

Wears it away I believe, dont quote me on that
Old Mar 20, 2006, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't read through all the other posts, but in my experience, I owned a manual in high school about 10yrs ago and haven't had a manual car since then. So you could say that my evo was my first manual since forever. I didn't have any more trouble getting back into driving it than I would have with any other car. I think all manual clutches are a little different and you will have to get used to the engagement point anyway. If the evo is what you both want to drive I say go for it. Just be carefull !!
Old Mar 20, 2006, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

it was my first. its not bad
Old Mar 20, 2006, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
I dont know if people are just proud or what, but its not easy to drive an Evo if you have no manual tranny experience. It was my first one, and it took a while to get used to. The clutch is higher effort and doesnt "seep" back out after you push it in, which means your foot is in total control of how smooth engagement will be. I actually prefer this now, but it made learning a bit more tedious. Just be willing to learn, and youll do fine. By the way, 21,000 miles, stock clutch is still going strong.
+1

well actually the integra was my first manual, but the clutch was exactly the same, catches high off the floor, and theres like an inch and a half of between catch and full engagement. It was an absolute ***** to learn on, took me 3 days and alot of trying. my sister can drive stick, but she could never drive the integra. Hopefully she'll be able to drive the evo.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
no wonder everyone is replacing there clutches at 10k miles or less. Just kidding. The evo was my third manual car and it requires a lot more slipping of the clutch to get the car moving smoothly without bogging the car down. I've noticed that the clutch on the mr catches sooner and more to the floor then my old 05 evo.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

I learned on my old 1995 tsi. Throughout the years of me owning it I replaced the factory clutch at 65k even though the clutch was perfectly fine. I wanted something to be able to hold the power and launches. So I replaced the factory clutch with a 2100 lb. ACT and a lightweight flyhwheel. The car was fwd and had almost 300hp. I always thought my tranny was about to go on my tsi because it was very notchy and would grind in reverse. I even replaced my tranny fluid twice a year. When I bought the evo I had to relearn how to drive a manual while driving fast. I was so used to pounding the gears which is a no-no in an evo. I quickly realized that there was nothing wrong with my tsi's tranny. That's just how mitsu trannies shift. Get into any dsm and get into an evo and both cars will shift exactly the same. I had the stock evo clutch. It's good in traffic b/c it's very light but I hate the high engagement point. I would prefer a heavy clutch which engaged right off the floor. It's so much easier to rev match but it's also alot easier to grind gears too.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 09:18 PM

yes the high engagement sucks.it will not be easy hill can be trick during
rush hour the rpms climb fast you drop at already hot clutch at 5000 you may smell that all familar smell to some unlucky drivers 17000 clutch burnt
Old Mar 21, 2006, 09:32 PM

[QUOTE=mr2lover55]no wonder everyone is replacing there clutches at 10k miles or less. Just kidding. QUOTE]

Agreed LOL, tons of first time stick drivers

I came from an twin plate Honda clutch, the evo is cake compared to that.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the advice!
Old Apr 10, 2006, 09:13 AM

Evo was my first car that was manual and it wasnt that hard, it was actually very fun, but i have been riding dirtbikes for about 4-5 years so i know how the clutch works.

I love my car!!!!
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

I had a chance to drive a BMW Z4 and drove pretty well. Can anyone compare that car to the EVO. Not engine powerwise or handling but just overall manual transmission.

Quick Reply: Evo as a first car with Manual Transmission.