Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo as a first car with Manual Transmission.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo as a first car with Manual Transmission.

Hey guys,

A buddy and I were looking at getting EVOs. I have driven stick a few times and he has never. We both never really had a car of our own that was stick.

My question is, how tough is it drive an EVO, if it is your first stick? Was the EVO the first manual for anyone on this forum? How was your experience?

Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

its cake, my wife drove mine yesterday and she sucks at stick. I think its easy but i have almost alwasy had a stick...
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

After driving a manual for 25 years,I did find I had to adjust my clutch release.Your using four wheels now instead of two.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo is the first car I ever owned in stick. Rode bikes for 20 years b4 so I understood the clutch, drove many buddies cars w/ stick but yeah evo was my virgin.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

the evo was my first manual car but io learned to drive stick before hand...jus make sure u know the manual transmission very well otherwise u will be gettin a new clutch at 10k miles...peace
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

my evo is my first manual car, didnt find it hard at all to learn to drive on, and have had no clutch/tranny problems
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

yah same here ....first manual for me. i knew how to drive stick beforehand though. im almost on 30k on stock clutch. just dont beat the hell out of it.

i also taught my girlfriend how to drive stick with the evo.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

I dont know if people are just proud or what, but its not easy to drive an Evo if you have no manual tranny experience. It was my first one, and it took a while to get used to. The clutch is higher effort and doesnt "seep" back out after you push it in, which means your foot is in total control of how smooth engagement will be. I actually prefer this now, but it made learning a bit more tedious. Just be willing to learn, and youll do fine. By the way, 21,000 miles, stock clutch is still going strong.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:48 PM

evo was my first manual car. it's all about how determined you are to learn it and the tricks to it, such as matching. You'll be okay
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Evo was my first manual too. I learned how to drive stick about a year before I bought the evo. It's easy.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Driving a stick is commen sense. If you don't understand the concept before hand stay with an auto, or wait for the Evo X with paddle shifters. Either way if you understand the concept or not, if you don't understand the dynamics of how a clutch works you will be purchasing a new one before 10k.

My Evo was my first stick.. Next to my bike; But with both i pulled out of the dealership with no troubles, and drove them home with no previous instruction or training. BUT DONT GET ME WRONG, every time anyone drives a new car it is will be a little awkward at first.

In the end, for reasons already stated above, the Evo is one of the hardest cars to drive smoothly through the gearbox that i have driven to date.

Last edited by KOEvo; Mar 20, 2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:01 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

The Evo is my 1st stick car as well and I will say its more tedious than driving a 2wd car, but I got the hang of it. You'll do fine.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:15 PM

I learned on my tsi which was my second car now I have the evo, awd is different from front or rear. The evo is a little tricky to master but it came pretty quick for me. The only thing I don't like is the actual shifter feel its not smooth at all in my book.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The evo was my first stick too and I am telling you it wasn't easy for me. My dad was trying to teach me and I trust him because he used to race but yea like I was saying, the clutch is a little difficult to get used to. If you haven't driven stick, your leg will get sore of holding the clutch down so much especially in stop and go traffic. My clutch went out at 5k miles but I was also acting like a dumbass and decided to launch the car a bunch of times. Now I have a stock clutch and I have 11k miles on my evo and the clutch is holding strong. Also, the friction point on an evo is amazing, get ready to jump the car a little when driving it the first time. Like already stated above, its all about how your foot works with the clutch pedal; you are in total control.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

EVO was my first manual as well. I spent a lot of time driving around my friend's MX-3 and my other friends RSX-S, as well as the ex's Hyundai something-or-other before I got the EVO.

Last edited by conphuzed; Mar 20, 2006 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo as a first car with Manual Transmission.