Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

BS ticket: aftermarket exhaust in MA, FYI

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2006, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
BS ticket: aftermarket exhaust in MA, FYI

Compliments of the MA state police. Thanks guys, really appreciate it...

The offending exhaust was: HKS 2.5" dp., stock cat, stock resonated mid pipe and a Pruven axle back canister muffler. Marginally louder than stock... maybe. He stated he did not know the law, only that he saw that it was "aftermarket".

Doesn't matter, I know better than to argue at the window, it's between me and the court magistrate once I find out what the law actually is and how to prove I'm in compliance. If I am not in compliance, I will fix it, pay my fine and humbely post up... but i don't think so.

It's annoying as the burden of proof now lies on me on my time, but whatever... pay to play right.

Is there a public place where i can find the specific MA legislature regarding aftermarket exhaust?

I do realize and appreciate the service that the police provide... but today, and in particular to officer t-bag who could not tell me what the law actually was, F you!

Thanks for reading
Attached Thumbnails BS ticket: aftermarket exhaust in MA, FYI-bs-ticket.jpg  
Old Mar 23, 2006, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
He stated he did not know the law, only that he saw that it was "aftermarket".
Man that's ridiculous, it's f***ed up to have that coming out of a cop's mouth. Sorry for your trouble, you can fight it and even if you win it's still a crap load of wasted time and energy, unfortunately that's just the type of BS we have to bear with.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

if he didnt take a decibal reading tell the court your exhaust is stock and you dont know what the cop is talking about. Now burden of proof is on them.
That brings me back did he take a decibel reading? I doubt it..fight the ticket your all set i have done it many times.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Compliments of the MA state police. Thanks guys, really appreciate it...

The offending exhaust was: HKS 2.5" dp., stock cat, stock resonated mid pipe and a Pruven axle back canister muffler. Marginally louder than stock... maybe. He stated he did not know the law, only that he saw that it was "aftermarket".

Doesn't matter, I know better than to argue at the window, it's between me and the court magistrate once I find out what the law actually is and how to prove I'm in compliance. If I am not in compliance, I will fix it, pay my fine and humbely post up... but i don't think so.

It's annoying as the burden of proof now lies on me on my time, but whatever... pay to play right.

Is there a public place where i can find the specific MA legislature regarding aftermarket exhaust?

I do realize and appreciate the service that the police provide... but today, and in particular to officer t-bag who could not tell me what the law actually was, F you!

Thanks for reading
For efffs sake. If he doesn't know the law, he shouldn't be allowed to give you a ticket. He should get the frikkin ticket for false arrest.

Which section of the law did he cite you for?

Is it chapter 90 section 16?

Looks like MA managed to pass the same egregious, subjective, BS law that VA has:

No person shall use a muffler cut-out or by-pass. No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust

which makes enforcement totally subjective ... basically saying that if it's louder than stock it's illegal. So, does the officer know exactly the DB level of a stock Evo exhaust? Somehow I doubt it ... ARGHHHH
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

what a bunch of BS. Try to beat it and if you do file a lawsuit against them for your time and fees. If that started happening maybe then there would be less BS tickets.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
take it to judge judy...and after you win...slap that |3itch
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 8ASTI
if he didnt take a decibal reading tell the court your exhaust is stock and you dont know what the cop is talking about. Now burden of proof is on them.
That brings me back did he take a decibel reading? I doubt it..fight the ticket your all set i have done it many times.
I still have to confirm but, I believe there is a maxium allowed decible reading and you cannot alter/replace a funtioning cat. Other than that you can do what you want.

No he did not measure DB. (like window tint) so i imagine it will be tough to prove it is/was loud in court.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AndyBandy
take it to judge judy...and after you win...slap that |3itch

Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

I still have to confirm but, I believe there is a maxium allowed decible reading and you cannot alter/replace a funtioning cat. Other than that you can do what you want.

No he did not measure DB. (like window tint) so i imagine it will be tough to prove it is/was loud in court.
Can you look at the ticket and post up the section of code he cited?

Because it looks as if MA has passed the 'it's up to the cop if he thinks your exhaust is loud you're guilty and can't do anything about it' law that VA has as well ...

FYI, I'm looking at this:

Bullcrap anti-commerce MA law
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joshd
Looks like MA managed to pass the same egregious, subjective, BS law that VA has:

No person shall use a muffler cut-out or by-pass. No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust

which makes enforcement totally subjective ... basically saying that if it's louder than stock it's illegal. So, does the officer know exactly the DB level of a stock Evo exhaust? Somehow I doubt it ... ARGHHHH

Hmmm. I hope not, I WILL find out and post up though.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

hey Wingless, i got pulled over in Dedham at route 1 and washington st for the same reason. He had a speed trap and i was in a low gear going too fast for that gear (normal driving) because of a stoplight that i was planning on stopping at but it turned green as i was pulling up, so it was wicked loud.

Although i only got a warning because it seemed like the officer didnt really know the law or exactly how to deal with it. I definetly deserved the ticket if you got one cuz mine is 3" turbo back no-cat, sound like an airplane.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joshd
Can you look at the ticket and post up the section of code he cited?

Because it looks as if MA has passed the 'it's up to the cop if he thinks your exhaust is loud you're guilty and can't do anything about it' law that VA has as well ...

FYI, I'm looking at this:

Bullcrap anti-commerce MA law

chap/sec/sub 90 16 (I had to re-open envelope with the appeal box checked)

Good lead... At least can find out specifically what I'm dealing with, but if it's the officers subjective discretion it does look bad. Thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiftdsm E
hey Wingless, i got pulled over in Dedham at route 1 and washington st for the same reason. He had a speed trap and i was in a low gear going too fast for that gear (normal driving) because of a stoplight that i was planning on stopping at but it turned green as i was pulling up, so it was wicked loud.

Although i only got a warning because it seemed like the officer didnt really know the law or exactly how to deal with it. I definetly deserved the ticket if you got one cuz mine is 3" turbo back no-cat, sound like an airplane.
Oddly, I was actually behaving myself. I was at about 3k and iddled past his trap after spotting him about 1/4 mi away. just bummed because I'm not a big noise fan either and I have actually tried to keep it legit.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

chap/sec/sub 90 16 (I had to re-open envelope with the appeal box checked)

Good lead... At least can find out specifically what I'm dealing with, but if it's the officers subjective discretion it does look bad. Thanks.
I absolutely HATE to tell you this, but the best advice I can give at this point is to just pay the $50 fine and move on with your life.

Fighting it will just end up wasting your time and sanity because that law is absolutely ridiculous and there's pretty much no way you can win. The way that law is written, if your exhaust system is .00000001 Db over stock, you are guilty ... and the officer only needs to use his 'judgement' to determine that it's been modified to be louder than stock. If you look at the ticket, he actually wrote 'louder' on it. That's all he has to say and you are officially stuffed.

The problem is the law ... how a law that is completely unenforceable and subjective gets passed is beyond me. The only way to fight this is to fight to have the law repealed ... and in today's society, it's just not going to happen (although I encourage EVERYONE to contact their state legislators and protest vehemently against such laws).

I love this country and everything it has to offer, but crap like this seriously makes me consider moving elsewhere ...

By the way, here's a cute little page talking about the proposed MA law before it was passed. I guess the efforts to stop it failed

nice try
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

i think i read on your ticket it is chaptet 90, section 16. here is a link http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-16.htm

Quick Reply: BS ticket: aftermarket exhaust in MA, FYI