Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What are some way to buy older evo generations such as the 5,6,7?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are some way to buy older evo generations such as the 5,6,7?

Im trying to find an older model and dont know much about how to aquire one. Any places that import them? can they be titled? like as a mirage? Any websites? anything would help alot. thnx
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:51 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

You can get them shipped here but titling and registration will be a problem. You might get away with titling it as a different car if your local DMV is lax or there's some loopholes. Check your state DMV rules. But as for being fully federally legal - crash tested, EPA approved - no way.

There are quite a few Japanese RHD imported cars roaming the streets in California, most of them through some loophole or other. Get pulled over by police and say bye-bye to your car.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

here in dallas a few real Skylines roll around here with 240sx tittles and are fine. Im more worried about getting the car in the first place. i know theres some websites that show cars their selling that are shipped from japan but i forget the URL's
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

This might help:

http://www.japan-partner.com/stocklist.html
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:22 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It is IMPOSSIBLE to do legally in the US for street use. Mistitling is illegal, swapping VINs is illegal, and the cars have never been, and probably never will be, approved by the NHTSA until they reach classic status. That being said, you may not get caught if you do manage to register and insure one. But if you do, your car will likely be cubed without hesitation.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoray
has anybody have any experience with these kinds of websites? or know what really goes on , how to get the car. ect....
Old Mar 23, 2006, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they are a "grey market" dealer. basically they sell you the car without a vin on a bill of sale for offroad use. It's up to you to either keep it as a track car, or do a VIN swap. As Hobie mentioned above this is illegal and the car will get taken and destroyed if the Popo finds out. Not to mention a rather large fine as well.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

so the company is legit, cuz they have a 93 evo on that site for $2,700
thats a steal, then shipping and picking it up is another problem.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

so you mean to tell me, if you were to say buy an evo 6 or 7 you couldnt just say the 6 is a mirage or the 7 is an 8? is it really that hard to get those two legalized? i seen a s15 silvia and skyling GT-T with transporter tags? i assume you could get around with driving it like that. correct me if im wrong.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HobieKopek
It is IMPOSSIBLE to do legally in the US for street use. Mistitling is illegal, swapping VINs is illegal, and the cars have never been, and probably never will be, approved by the NHTSA until they reach classic status. That being said, you may not get caught if you do manage to register and insure one. But if you do, your car will likely be cubed without hesitation.
Well it is impossible to make it federally legal. Some states will issue a title, vin, and registration. This makes it possible to even get insurance and drive it around. However, its still illegal and can be taken from you at any time. This is what you comonly see with "legal skylines" that didnt go through motorex as well as other "US legal" jdm cars. Very risky
Old Mar 23, 2006, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
A couple months ago some one was sellin a legit 6.5 TME. I believe he was on the east coast. If you search you should be able to find his thread. Don't know if he sold it, but maybe he'll answer afew questions.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

why would you want to?????

the evo 8 unwards are the stringest they have ever been! in both drive train and engine!

Chris.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
A couple months ago some one was sellin a legit 6.5 TME. I believe he was on the east coast. If you search you should be able to find his thread. Don't know if he sold it, but maybe he'll answer afew questions.
the car had a state title, but was not federally legal. Again it is possible to do a VIN swap but it can get you in a great deal of trouble.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 04:26 PM

heres is a list from the nhsta. for what cars can be imported.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...LIG010906.html

heres the epa list also of what to do.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/factmtop.htm

i dont believe is illegal. you just have to go through alot of red tape to make in legal to drive. epa testing customs clearance. ect ect. thats why motorex was charging a premium for the skylines.

customs will most likely bring the car in but it has to conform with epa dot. and if the car doesnt conform with those agencys it has to be destroyed.

Carlo
Old Mar 23, 2006, 04:39 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

I just helped my friend sell a titled and registered California car a few months ago.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d+integra+type