Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another Evo down for the count

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2003, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Evo down for the count

*******. I want to cry.

Since today was beautiful, I decided to take a scenic drive on one of the backroads around here in Cville. Just chillin' and driving down some curvy roads... fun stuff. Then around one a left turn corner some guy comes ZOOMING, and taking up like half of my lane so I swerve to the right, and just my luck - there's a huge *** mud patch right there. My car fishtails and the rear swings around, and I end up completely 180 on the other side of the road. The guy in the other car proceeds to drive off as if nothing happened. At first I'm glad I'm okay, and the car didn't fall into this huge ditch that was to the right of the road, but then I get out and look.

Scratches are whatever, since I have these swirlies already anyway. But lo and behold.. my intercooler mesh is somewhat warped, and then the lower half of the front spoiler is completely messed up with chunks of mud in it. The right rear rim, from spinning in the mud/dirt/branches, has scuff marks around two parts... I'm so sad/angry/frustrated I want to cry.

I think I can take this to a local dealer and see if they can help me fix it up.. but I'm probably looking at a couple hundred dollars worth of repairs, at the least. Hopefully they won't have to import a new lip, and they can make do... ON TOP OF ALL THAT, THE RIDE NOW JUTTERS. I don't know if it's because the suspension is now messed up from sliding through the mud, or if something else is caught...

Pictures to come in a little bit...
Old Apr 6, 2003, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

there might be mud caught in suspension and linkages. Dude, that sucks.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't buy my car from the Charlottesville Mitsu, but I have finals coming up and I don't have the time to drive all the way up to Northern VA again... plus if the suspension is all jittery I don't want to drive it for 2 hours anyway. I'm gonna drop it off at Cville Mitsu and hope they can help me out...
Old Apr 6, 2003, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Ah that sucks! Doesnt look too bad though, I think things could have been a LOT worse. As for the ride 'juttering' I doubt you have a bent suspension component. You could have just knocked a wheel weight off or at the very worse, bent a wheel. good luck getting it fixed, that is by far the best evo color! even looks good dirty.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Are those rims "fixable"? Or will I have to get a new one? Anyone know how much the Enkei's cost?
Old Apr 6, 2003, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Well, you can see where it knocked off a wheel weight..plus I'm sure it knocked off the alignment also. That isn't a hard enough impact to damage the suspension.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Are those rims "fixable"?
I'd say yes. A new rim from Mitsubishi would be VERY costly.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

ok....lol.....its not bad at all!

Its called a car wash! its just mud on the front!

second i got my lancer stuck in mud and there was mud on my 17's, it wobbled goin fast, but thats where my first coment comes in.... CAR WASH!

it could have been so much worse if i was you i would be happy and thankful!
Old Apr 6, 2003, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

and there is nothing to fix on the rim, think about it those little weights make all the difference, mudd will do the same.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Well you can see the entire lower lip is completely off alignment... and since it's so off I can't tell if there's actual damage to the lip, or if they can just nudge it back into place...

I am thankful, but I am also very peeved. What causes drivers to do such stupid things? This car is like.. two weeks old. Exactly. Life sucks *** man.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

See how there's a noticeable gap between the lower and upper lip? That's not supposed to be there. Take a look at other pictures of the Evo8 and you can tell its completely off. The left side is fine, but the right side is all messed up, as you can see a huge gap, and it seems to be off alignment all the way around to the wheel.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

I'm wondering, should I take it to the dealer or to a body shop? I don't know if there's anything wrong with the car internally or with the suspension, since it's juttering. Might be better to take it to the dealer just to get it all checked out?
Old Apr 6, 2003, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

you still drive an evo. stop crying
Old Apr 6, 2003, 06:31 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Wash it, get the wheels balanced again, and see if you still feel the jutter. If so, get it aligned. Gap between front lip and bumper is most probably debris stuck in between. Remove the lower lip, clean out debris, and reinstall. Happens on my CRX whenever I scrape the lip on an incline ramp...snaps right back into place. I would be surprised based on your account of the incident if it is anything serious. I know that the cosmetic damage sucks but it could have been way worse. Good luck.