Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Am I making the right choice? GSR over GSR SSL or MR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2006, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I making the right choice? GSR over GSR SSL or MR

Please note, I am not a newb to car forums, and I did search, and I couldn't find a thread that relate to what I am discussing specifically. I don't want to beat around the bush, as this problem is specific to myself and my preferences/financial situation. Please try not to flame. Anyway...

I am seeing all these great deals offered by South Coast Mitsubishi, and I am really wanting to narrow down exactly which Evo IX I will want to grab, since they can be had so cheap new. Anyway, I had originally thought I was going to aim for an MR or a GSR with SSL (mainly because i wanted HIDs...), but after doing a more thorough analysis, and noting that the price difference is pretty great, I am starting to think a GSR is a better bet for me. Here are some of my reasons, and I would really appreciate if anyone could post to correct me if I have made any errors in my judgment. I got all the specifics of the Mitsubishi site.

Reasons why I think GSR (no SSL) will suit me, and why I don't feel the need to shell out the extra for MR or GSR with SSL pacakge

First, why I am steering away from SSL:

1. Seats: I hear the stock seats are great, and I personally think leather racing seats won't grip as well. Also added weight and I really don't care much about leather.

2. Sunroof: I do wish I had a sunroof on my Accord, but on a car like this, I think the thrill of all that power will make up for no sunroof. Also, without a sunroof I will save in weight and I know an open sunroof is bad for the overall aerodynamics of the vehicle.

3. Sound system: Don't want the extra weight, and I would much prefer to do my own custom set-up later on when I have some extra cash anyway. I'm a sound nut, and stock systems never do it for me

****Please give advice!!!****

The ONLY reason the SSL enticed me was because of the HIDs. I am now a bit puzzled because I would rather go with a regular GSR and just get aftermarket HIDs installed, but I don't know if the GSR housings are different from SSL or MR housings, or if I will run into other problems. Will I have a hard time throwing HIDs on a non-SSL GSR???

OK now my reasons for not going MR

1. 5-speed: My two previous cars have been 5 speeds (e36 bmw 325i and 7th gen honda accord coupe) so I am very used to it, and really don't feel that 6 speeds are completely necessary. I have heard that the 5 speed also gets better milage, and possibly better 1/4 mile times due to not having to shift one extra time. I know 6 speeds might be a bit more fun to drive, but I haven't found my previous 5 speeds boring. Watching my friends with 6 speeds drive it almost seems like to would be annoying to shift so much. Am I seriously mistaken about the Evo's 6-speed tranny? Is it a lot better than the 5-speed? Or is it just more about preference?

2. Shocks: I plan on getting coilovers anyway, so the shocks on the MR wouldn't be of much use to me.

3. Roof: I know the GSR doesn't have an aluminum roof, but for a few grand less I don't mind the extra weight.

4. Rims: I personally like the regular GSR rims better than the MR rims, but that is merely personal preference.

5. Gauges: I want to put aftermarket gauges in the car, and the fact that the MR comes with them would just be completely unneeded. They would be more than a burden for a number of reasons. First I think they are crappy looking (again, subjective), and second, I plan on doing Rich's Orbital Prestige 2 din kit with the A/C controls relocated to where those gauges would be, so I would have a bunch of ugly gauges I didn't want in the first place.

The only thing the MR has that I really want are again HIDs, so if someone could address my HID concerns I would be really happy.

As you can see, I have put a LOT of thinking into my decision, because i want to have the perfect Evo that suits me. If I have made an error in any comparisons, or have missed out on something please chime in and let me know!

Sorry for the long post, and please give me your input!

-Aaron
Old Mar 24, 2006, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I think you are making a good choice. The MR is overpriced and over rated. The only real thing I like about the MR is that it comes with an aluminum roof, with a lowered center of gravity. Everything else is pretty much useless. The bilstein shocks in my opinion, suck ***. I would replace them anyway with a fully adjustable coilover system (such as tein or JIC). The 6 speed gear box is nice for road racing (I suppose) but if you plan on modding the car, the 6 speed is more liable to break, and is more expensive to repair and find parts for. John Shepard won't even offer to rebuild the 6 speed trannies, because he knows how fragile they are.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Yeah I think you are making a good choice. The MR is overpriced and over rated. The only real thing I like about the MR is that it comes with an aluminum roof, with a lowered center of gravity. Everything else is pretty much useless. The bilstein shocks in my opinion, suck ***. I would replace them anyway with a fully adjustable coilover system (such as tein or JIC). The 6 speed gear box is nice for road racing (I suppose) but if you plan on modding the car, the 6 speed is more liable to break, and is more expensive to repair and find parts for. John Shepard won't even offer to rebuild the 6 speed trannies, because he knows how fragile they are.
Well, I am sure people who buy MRs have their reasons, and I don't want to bash them. I definitely feel that I would rather do my own thing with the leftover cash however. Definitely would get some good coilovers, a nice set of rims, JDM MR heads/tails, gauges and that 2 din kit with LCD. Those are my plans for now, and if I were to go all out for the SSL or MR it would take me a hell of a long time to get those mods done

Any idea about my HID problem?

keep the responses coming guys. Feel free to give your reasons why you went with which model and your reasons for it.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not bashing the MR. The MR IS the best stock Evo hands down. This is not debatable at all. However, in the eyes of a tuner, it is not worth so much. This is all I'm saying. The fact that it comes with a aluminum roof is enough to make me reconsider and sell my car and get one =)
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

ur reasonings are every bit the same as mine, and thus i've also come to the conclusion of gettin a IX GSR instead of the MR as well (though i've always wanted an MR ever since i fell in love with Evo's 2 years ago)

the 1st four gears on the IX 5 and 6 spd tranny are almost identical in terms of gearing and top speed. however once both cars get to 110+mph, the gsr only has a 5th gear left, while the MR will still have 5th + 6th gear left. therefore the MR has higher top speed. on a road course, unless it's a big course where u'd have to utilize 5th gears a lot, the 6spd doesn't really have an advantage since the first 4 gears are identical.

also the ssl's sunroof will add more body roll to the car, since it's the worse place to add weight on a car as it raises the car's center of gravity. i've read that the leather grabs pretty well, but after driving leather cars, i honestly prefer cloth seats (easier to maintain, still grabs better)

also for me, i just need to have a blak Evo, and since the MR's don't come in black in the US, it's not an option for me.

IMO if u wanna keep ur Evo stock, the MR is the hands down winner. however if u plan on modifying ur Evo while still keeping the car a competent daily driver, the GSR is the winner.

good luck mate. South Coast is low on GSR's right now, but as soon as they have a black one i'll be driving home giggling like a drunken school girl in my Evo
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

as for the HID's, i'm not really sure as i havn't really looked into it yet.

do a search on evom, it's a topic that's beaten to death as well. a little search should be able to answer all ur questions about it
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fusionchicken
ur reasonings are every bit the same as mine, and thus i've also come to the conclusion of gettin a IX GSR instead of the MR as well (though i've always wanted an MR ever since i fell in love with Evo's 2 years ago)

the 1st four gears on the IX 5 and 6 spd tranny are almost identical in terms of gearing and top speed. however once both cars get to 110+mph, the gsr only has a 5th gear left, while the MR will still have 5th + 6th gear left. therefore the MR has higher top speed. on a road course, unless it's a big course where u'd have to utilize 5th gears a lot, the 6spd doesn't really have an advantage since the first 4 gears are identical.

also the ssl's sunroof will add more body roll to the car, since it's the worse place to add weight on a car as it raises the car's center of gravity. i've read that the leather grabs pretty well, but after driving leather cars, i honestly prefer cloth seats (easier to maintain, still grabs better)

also for me, i just need to have a blak Evo, and since the MR's don't come in black in the US, it's not an option for me.

IMO if u wanna keep ur Evo stock, the MR is the hands down winner. however if u plan on modifying ur Evo while still keeping the car a competent daily driver, the GSR is the winner.

good luck mate. South Coast is low on GSR's right now, but as soon as they have a black one i'll be driving home giggling like a drunken school girl in my Evo
Thanks for all the input I will be purchasing my evo late, like probably around August, or whenever I get back from Japan >.< I have a feeling there won't be many, if any left at all by then, but I am hoping...

I am really stuck between EB or WW, but I think I will eventually go with the white... But if I did go with EB, the MR would definitely be out of the question as I would be in the same boat as you.

I do plan on doing mostly exterior/interior mods at first, so my warranty can stay solid, and then eventually go for some performance stuff later. Even still I think the Evo in stock form will be more than enough for me for a good while.

Also, in Toronto, an Evo is not much more than a legend, so it will be cool to own one no matter which model

*edit

Just read what you said about HIDs, and I already did come ona couple of threads, including a really cheap GB for some. I guess it's not a problem to throw HIDs in
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eggy
Thanks for all the input I will be purchasing my evo late, like probably around August, or whenever I get back from Japan >.< I have a feeling there won't be many, if any left at all by then, but I am hoping...

I am really stuck between EB or WW, but I think I will eventually go with the white... But if I did go with EB, the MR would definitely be out of the question as I would be in the same boat as you.

I do plan on doing mostly exterior/interior mods at first, so my warranty can stay solid, and then eventually go for some performance stuff later. Even still I think the Evo in stock form will be more than enough for me for a good while.

Also, in Toronto, an Evo is not much more than a legend, so it will be cool to own one no matter which model

*edit

Just read what you said about HIDs, and I already did come ona couple of threads, including a really cheap GB for some. I guess it's not a problem to throw HIDs in
yea the HID's are easily taken care of

on a side note, there's been rumors from reliable sources that there will be no production Evo's in 2007, since the regulations for airbags are changed for the year or something like that, and Mitsu doesn't want to change the IX for just 1 year since the X is almost out...so u might want to look into that to make sure there will still be Evo's left for u when u're ready to buy. just to let u know about it.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fusionchicken
yea the HID's are easily taken care of

on a side note, there's been rumors from reliable sources that there will be no production Evo's in 2007, since the regulations for airbags are changed for the year or something like that, and Mitsu doesn't want to change the IX for just 1 year since the X is almost out...so u might want to look into that to make sure there will still be Evo's left for u when u're ready to buy. just to let u know about it.
I was reading a mod's post about an evo 9.5 to be released before the X. It is in the future models section. He said he heard it in a meeting so I want to hope that it is true, but I am quite aware that I might not be able to come across a new IX by the time I'm home.. If that is the case I will have to look for used, but I will keep hoping. I would love to just book one and have it ready and waiting for when I'm home, but it is just not possible at the moment I am 21 and I am getting some support from the family for the purchase of this car, so I have to make sure to include them in the purchase as much as possible.

*I am not one of those spoiled bastards, I worked my *** off in school and still do so my parents want to show me their support*
Old Mar 24, 2006, 08:42 AM

I'm in the same boat as you, and having a really hard time debating between the GSR and the MR. I personally want to leave the suspenion stock, but do a few bolt-ons to boost power up a little bit. So the MR seems a better choice for me, but if you want to upgrade the suspenion a GSR would probably be the better way to go IMO. Good luck figuring it out.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Eggy
I was reading a mod's post about an evo 9.5 to be released before the X. It is in the future models section. He said he heard it in a meeting so I want to hope that it is true, but I am quite aware that I might not be able to come across a new IX by the time I'm home.. If that is the case I will have to look for used, but I will keep hoping. I would love to just book one and have it ready and waiting for when I'm home, but it is just not possible at the moment I am 21 and I am getting some support from the family for the purchase of this car, so I have to make sure to include them in the purchase as much as possible.

*I am not one of those spoiled bastards, I worked my *** off in school and still do so my parents want to show me their support*
....that's cool that your parents want to show you there support by doing that. I'm with you, I'm 22 and I've busted my *** since middle school to pay for my hobbies, but it's always nice when the parents jump in to help you out or give you a little something extra.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

All my thoughts and many comments and even some photos on this issue, in two jam-packed threads:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=188557

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=189826
Old Mar 24, 2006, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

I think you are making the best choice. The base GSR is still the best value and the most popular one sold. I would not spend the extra cash just to get HID's in an SSL if that's the only thing you want out of that package.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
I think you are making the best choice. The base GSR is still the best value and the most popular one sold. I would not spend the extra cash just to get HID's in an SSL if that's the only thing you want out of that package.
After reading the threads in the above post I'm now getting worried that I might want a sunroof.... ARRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

But I don't want the leather seats or crumby stereo system!!!!!!!!!!

Damnit.... damnit damnit damnit...

Why must life be so difficult!!!
Old Mar 24, 2006, 05:32 PM

i'd buy the rawest of the bunch EVO RS!

Quick Reply: Am I making the right choice? GSR over GSR SSL or MR