Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

THE GTA IN THE USA WOULDN'T BE THAT BAD (LOOK)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2002, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool THE GTA IN THE USA WOULDN'T BE THAT BAD (LOOK)

Hey guys I know how many of you - (me also at first) are freaked out about the idea of the GTA being the USA EVO......but after I read closely about it - It wouldn't be very bad - If they offered a 5 speed that is.....The reasons follow:

1) You can get the GSR wing (option)
2) You can get the RECARO seats (option)
3) You could always change the hood
4) You could always change the turbo (BIG 16G or 18G or 20G)

..........so if they offered the GTA in a 5 speed (which they likely would in the US) you could still have your GSR with minimum effort...........I know I plan to change the turbo if its a GSR or GTA. In the end you have a GSR with some extra sound deadening material.....BIG DEAL - you could remove that also - I would just leave it though......and not install a monster stereo.........Lastly, the shocks and springs - Go with some GABS and EIBACHS.......and your better than GSR good.......so don't panic if we get it.

THE OUTLAW
"Always on the run"
Old Feb 14, 2002, 03:00 PM

Remember all the experts saying the EVO would be $45k?
Old Feb 14, 2002, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

if gta stands for automatic...why in the hell would they make it manual transmission???????????
Old Feb 14, 2002, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by blackevoVII
if gta stands for automatic...why in the hell would they make it manual transmission???????????
From the little info that we have, I think the U.S. spec would probably be a mix of the two. Smaller turbo, sound deadening, front license plate in the middle of the bumper, but would come with a gsr hood, wing, seats, brembos and come in both automatic and manual similar to the WRX.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

two words: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GT
Old Feb 14, 2002, 09:52 PM

GT-A manual transmission? I dont think so. Its an automatic.
Forgot where i got this info from, but they say from a push of the button on the steering wheel the driver has the option of shifting gears on the steering wheel, ie sportshift . When u see some of those WRC drivers using the paddles on their steering wheel, u just gotta have something close enough to it. All they need to do is add a clutch, a guage metter that tells u what gear and rev u at, and a huge hand brake handle that comes right up to your torso height.

hmm....adding some roll cages and taking out the backseat would be nice
Old Feb 14, 2002, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

I think he means a VERSION of the GTA, not the actual GTA itself. Basically an Evo with the same features/options as the GTA but with a manual tranny coming std and an auto as an option.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Why should we have to put up with getting a smaller turbo and a crappy hood, and have to pay more for recardos and a wing that is suppost to be standard. SCREW THAT!!!! If the rest of the world can have an evo why can't we get the same? I really don't think mitsu is going to bring the gt-a espcially since they are showing the regular vii at the car shows. Also I dont consider replacing your hood and turbo a "minimal effort" Its going to cost you another 3 grand at least and will void your warrenty.

Last edited by edogg23; Feb 14, 2002 at 10:17 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 10:21 PM

edogg23, we should ask the same questions to all the car manufacturers. Ford for Focus RS, Honda for Type-Rs, VW for GTI 4 motion.....
Old Feb 14, 2002, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Also, Subaru for the Wrx...remember it came to tthe US with smaller, wheels, brakes, etc. and we have yet to see the Sti. There are a lot of cars that we don't even get...Mitsubishi may have the "just be happy you're even getting an Evo" attitude
Old Feb 14, 2002, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by broeli
Also, Subaru for the Wrx...remember it came to tthe US with smaller, wheels, brakes, etc. and we have yet to see the Sti. There are a lot of cars that we don't even get...Mitsubishi may have the "just be happy you're even getting an Evo" attitude
How many times does everyone on the board have to say this.....

The Evo is NOT trying to compete with the WRX. It's coming over to have something that will compete with the STI. No, the STI isn't here yet, but you can be damn sure that it will be here.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

The Evo is NOT trying to compete with the WRX. It's coming over to have something that will compete with the STI.
Exactly! Lets just hope that Mitsu knows Subaru's intentions and will bring the Evo over with as much hp as possible so there is no doubt that it will be a contender, if not a leader in the US rally car world.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 11:32 PM

Yes I ment a GT-A Like Model with a manual trans

Yes I ment a GT-A Like Model with a manual trans......wouldn't it be great if we got a 6 speed....I know I'm dreaming. Though the Porsche 911 Twin_Turbo with the 5 speed auto (manual overide on the wheel) is just as fast as the manual......or so close it is inmaterial......Im curious to see how the GT-A performs.

THE OUTLAW
"Always on the run"
Old Feb 15, 2002, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

Actually I would take the try'd and tested 5-speed that we know can handle 400 plus hp, over a brand new 6 speed that may or may not be not be as tough and as good. I have faith that will not screw this up.
Old Feb 15, 2002, 04:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by docious
two words: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GT
two words eh?

Quick Reply: THE GTA IN THE USA WOULDN'T BE THAT BAD (LOOK)