Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

which engine damper should i go i with

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2006, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evolved Monkey
Installing a motor mount requires you to remove the plastic undertray and getting the stock bushing out of its mount is prety difficult.
no sh*t, thanks for filling me in. i didn't know that. maybe thats why i got the agency power mount? whatever the case, different strokes for different folks.........
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hk2ronin
Thats why he is asking because he does not know as much as you do. You are always so quick to put down people on this board asking questions because they don't know the awnser. Just because people don't know as much as you about an evo doesn't make them any less of a person. I've seen several posts where you just make fun and bager people about their questions. Yes sometimes people ask stupid questions, sometimes post in the wrong forum but that doesn't mean you should act and post the way you do.

Think of WarrTalon as the Peanut Gallery. You dont have to listen to him, and yes He has an attitude about everything. He is degrading BUT ( and i say this BEFORE you say anything Warrtalon) he knows his stuff very well, he is an experianced driver, does his research. And as he puts it Doesnt like to hold hands. Personaly i think its helpful to get to the point, and his comments are make me laugh most of the time.

I have the Weapon R Engine damper. And I have not adjusted it too much yet. Is a piece of junk? Ahh not in my opinion it does what it supposed too. however i also bought the front and rear motor mounts from BR for 85 shipped and it was probably a better solution. Again the Weapon R or Any damper at that point is mostly a gimick to make money. After all dont forget that APS, Cusco, Weapon R and so on Still have bills to pay and mouths to feed Soooo. Take that into consideration.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by freshsrt-4
no sh*t, thanks for filling me in. i didn't know that. maybe thats why i got the agency power mount? whatever the case, different strokes for different folks.........

The Motormounts are a task but not as hard as you put them out to be. Than again if working on a car isnt you idea of a good time than i can understand where your coming from.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

How much of (increased) vibration should I expecting from swapping only the front motor mount bushing with an aftermarket unit???
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

if you got with mounts, a decent amount, but i found that you would expect alittle more with an engine damper.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evolved Monkey
Installing a motor mount requires you to remove the plastic undertray and getting the stock bushing out of its mount is prety difficult.
AMS sells their motor mount already pressed into a new housing for I believe $95, making the install simple for anyone.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
From my own experience the WR dampener didn't work well. It broked (I don't when it happened but it must have been for a while). I got the AMS pink one that is already pressed in and the install wasn't hard. I makes a HUGE difference. I like it a lot more.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 09:01 AM

yea save your money just get a front dampner from AMS, they are the only real company tht i trust for the moment, i have a lot of respect for those guys especially with that new gt42r turbokit they got.....
Old Mar 28, 2006, 09:02 AM

or excuste me not the dampner but the ams front mount.....sorry for the spelling error
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:41 AM

I believe any performance mod will have draw backs and plus sides. In the case of the Motor mounts VS. Engine dampers here is what I have encountered with my ten years of being in the Import world.

Positives:

Motor Mounts:

Reduced engine movement
Reduced Shock load on "some parts"
Increase in shifter feel and less missed/grinding of gears
Better transfer of power due to less engine movement causing wheel hop.

Engine Torque Dampers:
Reduced engine movement with out modifying factory mounts.
Increased traction due to less engine movement
Less vibration than mounts
Less labor involved with install.

A damper is used to compliment stock motor mounts. The damper will allow you to fine tune the effect of the damper where as motor mount inserts will limit you to the level of firmness that the mount is. A damper you can remove for a long trip or when you wont be at the track for awhile.

All and all I belive a damper with a front mount on the Evo is the best all around solution. This way you are replacing and aiding (sp) the remaing motormounts. All we are trying to do is get more power to the ground and both products do a great job of it. Just look at your pros and cons before you dive into your factory motor mounts. New stock mounts cost a pretty penny
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

so can someone answer:

what do you replace? the whole front engine mount or just the bushing?

know the part number?

do you put in a new OEM or an aftermarket??

thx
Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Typically just the bushing

The part # shoudl be available from anybody that sells Powerflex or the Buschur Mount.

Aftermarket of course...the only way to go!
Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

I made a post on this a little while ago. I had the Ingalls Torque damper at first and used it for a good year on its stiffest setting. The only real noticable vibration came when sitting at idle(revolver cams didn't help that much either). I noticed after I did my stroker kit that the engine seemed to have more movement. When I did my turbo kit/intake manifold I figured then would be a good time to upgrade the mounts. I bought only the forge front mount(about $$45). The difference was night and day. You do get more vibration driving but in my opinion its not intolerable. At the cost of the slight vibration though, the motor rolls MUCH less. Shifting feels smoother, launching feels smoother, decel roll is gone, accel roll is much less. I'd say the mount holds way more value over the torque damper. This is my opinion. If you dont think you could handle the vibration and are ok with payin more money for less roll resistance do the damper, if you want performance per dollar, do the mount for sure.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Some holds hands; some get to the point. I'm not a hand-holder, now move on.
is this before or after foreplay?