Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

All the hype about the MR ans IX, what the RS, that's the fastest of the 3!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2006, 03:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NightShifter
So let me get this right. The RS is really a GSR ?
It sounds like you don't know that much about the car you posses.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 04:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NightShifter
So let me get this right. The RS is really a GSR ?
If you add the factory stereo, speakers, ABS, Power doors, powers door-locks, take off your aluminum hood, aluminum fenders, aluminum roof and add the GSR hood, fenders and roof then it is a "GSR". The "RS" is basically an "MR" without the 6-speed, Billstein suspension, BBS wheels, ABS,Power door-locks, power windows and the "Vortex Generator". Oh yeah, and the "RS" has the "Helical differental" that the"mr and the gsr" don't have.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

Not that it hasn't been covered 1000x but the GSR also has aluminum fenders and hood and all models now have the helical differential.

You also forgot trunk carpeting, color matched mirrors and sound deadening

Originally Posted by Thugline
If you add the factory stereo, speakers, ABS, Power doors, powers door-locks, take off your aluminum hood, aluminum fenders, aluminum roof and add the GSR hood, fenders and roof then it is a "GSR". The "RS" is basically an "MR" without the 6-speed, Billstein suspension, BBS wheels, ABS,Power door-locks, power windows and the "Vortex Generator". Oh yeah, and the "RS" has the "Helical differental" that the"mr and the gsr" don't have.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 05:04 AM
Evolving Member

+1 ...Good Answer
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

This is a funny thread. I think you guys scared Vin Diesel away. Hell be back under another name and avatar in a day or two.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah the RS is a great car, one of the best performance bargains on the market, but all EVOs are great, IXs, VIIIs, VIIs, and etc., all our great vehicles. Just think about it this way, how many limited edition pure performance vehicles that can cost well over $30,000 continue to exist when the Manufactuer of this vehicles is in major financial trouble? Not many that I know of, usually they are the first to go, but the EVO is different, the EVO is special.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:14 AM

If I were an EVO guy it'd certainly be an RS for me, but with an MR 6-speed and HID swap.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AtO-MiX
Ok you shift your car daily at 7200rpm...lol your car wont last very long.
Ok so wait, does that mean my Evo is going to explode soon? Cuz I shift past 7200 when I can....daily. Been doing this for years....on several vehicles....for thousands of miles...please someone explain quoted reasoning?

(oh yeah and I run my Mobil 1 past 5000 miles....eek!)

((my engines stay tight - like a frog's ***))

Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by 3000ways
Yeah the RS is a great car, one of the best performance bargains on the market, but all EVOs are great, IXs, VIIIs, VIIs, and etc., all our great vehicles. Just think about it this way, how many limited edition pure performance vehicles that can cost well over $30,000 continue to exist when the Manufactuer of this vehicles is in major financial trouble? Not many that I know of, usually they are the first to go, but the EVO is different, the EVO is special.
True, they're all great cars overall! Each year is a stepping stone to something even greater. Hence, it evolves! Or Evolution!
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

This depends on the year. For 2005-2006 where all the EVOs have ACD's stock. The RS, GSR, and MR all have Helical differentals in the front. They also all have aluminum hood and aluminum fenders only the RS and MR have aluminum roofs.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by DrMerl
Ok so wait, does that mean my Evo is going to explode soon? Cuz I shift past 7200 when I can....daily. Been doing this for years....on several vehicles....for thousands of miles...please someone explain quoted reasoning?

(oh yeah and I run my Mobil 1 past 5000 miles....eek!)

((my engines stay tight - like a frog's ***))

I agree with you on this! I don't know the mentality of the individual who made that statement. If you are a good driver, and keep that oil healthy, you shouldn't have any problems. Put it this way, I had an SRT-4 (which i built up as a hobby), and i would continuously race it to 6500 rpm (stage II ECU with a 50 trim turbo) all day long. But I didn't rag on the engine. Keep it smooth. All these special cars were designed to race, whether it be straight or on the twisties. 7200 rpm is not going to hurt the engine, that's why we have limits from the factory. As for drivers who can't shift well, or like to hold the engine at that RPM for sustained periods of time just to impress their friends at the mall.......
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by EvoRobert
Why do you have Vin Diesel as your avatar?
why not ?
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
They are all fast
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:56 AM

why do people insist on calling any USDM EVO "GSR?" there is no GSR here. in japan the car they call GSR is closer to our MR than the regular EVO. in the US there is the RS, IX, and MR. or RS, VIII, and MR. there is no GSR.

i couldn't live in an RS personally. i need power windows, locks, keyless entry, etc... if you ask me, the EVO even in MR trim is missing features it should have. the biggest pain in the *** is the lack of a 6 disc in dash, and MP3 compatability. even Civics have that now, but my ~37k MR doesn't?

The EVO IX's are great though. i've heard of every model, RS-MR hitting as low as 12.8's stock. pretty badass. I wanted the aluminum body panels, and most importantly the 6speed, that's why i went for the MR. also, it's the fastest around a road course according to a comparo i read between the 3 models, but that doesn't really mean much. the gear ratios to that particular track could have been better matched to the MR than the other two, and driver irregularities come into play as well. they all finished within a second of each other... i think it was only a few 10th's difference, so i guess it all depends on what you like. if you can live without creature comforts, go with the RS. you can't go wrong with any of them though. The EVO IX is just a great car. period.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by HaHAAHhAHHAH
why do people insist on calling any USDM EVO "GSR?" there is no GSR here. in japan the car they call GSR is closer to our MR than the regular EVO. in the US there is the RS, IX, and MR. or RS, VIII, and MR. there is no GSR.

i couldn't live in an RS personally. i need power windows, locks, keyless entry, etc... if you ask me, the EVO even in MR trim is missing features it should have. the biggest pain in the *** is the lack of a 6 disc in dash, and MP3 compatability. even Civics have that now, but my ~37k MR doesn't?

The EVO IX's are great though. i've heard of every model, RS-MR hitting as low as 12.8's stock. pretty badass. I wanted the aluminum body panels, and most importantly the 6speed, that's why i went for the MR. also, it's the fastest around a road course according to a comparo i read between the 3 models, but that doesn't really mean much. the gear ratios to that particular track could have been better matched to the MR than the other two, and driver irregularities come into play as well. they all finished within a second of each other... i think it was only a few 10th's difference, so i guess it all depends on what you like. if you can live without creature comforts, go with the RS. you can't go wrong with any of them though. The EVO IX is just a great car. period.
Exactly! I mainly use the car for track. You're right. 12.8s for a stock RS equipped with a good driver and good track and weather conditions (maybe even 12.7s.. haha) I don't think people noticed my smiley face after quoting the RS being a GSR...