Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

3rd day EVO owner initial impressions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UltimateLurker
I recently spent some time in an EVO IX and my impressions are somewhat similar.

Steering: EVO
Tossability: EVO
Low-rpm pull: STi
High-rpm pull: STi
Interior: STi

The EVO reminded me a lot of my old S2000, soft at the bottom, and strong on top, only VTEC-land had a lot more pull to it in the EVO. The STi feels, for lack of a better term, more muscle-carish.

The interesting thing to me was that my STi felt a lot stronger than the EVO, like if we raced I'd win easily. However, leaving the EVO was harder than I expected, and I'm Cobb Stage 2.

The bad thing, for me, is that I'm pretty much done with my mods, but the EVO was stock, and will surpass my STi in all-out performace in the near future (unless it has already, Nate?). The bad thing for Nate (the EVO IX owner) is that my car will still feel faster than his, even though it's not.
The greater displacement STi motor will have more torque than the 2.0 evo motor, making it "feel" faster...
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Doogie Howser
The greater displacement STi motor will have more torque than the 2.0 evo motor, making it "feel" faster...
True, but the difference was night and day, the STi feels like it has a definite advantage, though it doesn't.

The EVO had a real Jeckyll/Hyde personality to it, so to speak, it felt heavy and slow in the lower rpm's, but higher up in the rev range it felt very light and nimble, not so much powerful, but light. My Cobb Stage 2 STi never feels light, even in peak boost, but feels powerful at all times.

Forgot to mention that the gearbox in the EVO felt like it was full of syrup, very strange, maybe because the car only had 1K on the clock.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

yea i think the evo is a tease...it's like whenever you drive normally, you have to shift right when the fun is about to start =(
Old Mar 27, 2006, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the compliments, I'm glad you enjoyed the review of my experience so far. Tis true, The STi has more torque down low, there are no arguements in that, but unfortunately it just felt a bit sluggish after the initial pull, which still took a second to come on. the short gearing in the EVO pretty much puts you in the sweet spot no matter what ( at least in my car, someone here is talking about a stiff clutch pedal, mine is almost identical to my subaru's clutch. very light, great engagement, and Mr. Mejia, the engagement is a little before halfway, pretty much in between a quarter way and half, which is how I likes it, to low and it's annoying, to high, also irritating, I have always loved my Subaru clutch, and I'm glad Mitsubishi performs well too ( unlike the god awful one in my brothers SRT-4, sorry Dan, but that whole clutch and shifter system is for the birds, guessing gears.)
The Evo doesn't seem to have any lack of torque. the one great thing I always loved about the 4G63 engine is it's ability to create torque out of a low volume engine ( it's second only to the VW 1.8, which in my opinion, is the best german engine out there, this thing is unreal with how much torque it can produce.)
The reason I went with the EVO over the STi, it was a tough choice, but I just found myself having more fun in the EVO. I enjoyed the STi when I test drove it, but it didn't nearly blow my socks off like the EVO, not to say it's a bad car, it was one I was pining over for a very long time, but one thing that did it in was the new front end, I just couldn't get over it. I started to like it a little bit, but just not enough, while the EVO front end improved, gone are all the chrome bits ( save for the mitsubishi emblems, in which my rear one is already gone, and the front one is soon to follow, does anyone know how I go about doing that?) Speaking of STi front end, we'll be making a custom front end for the STi to get rid of that goofy grill for all of you that feel the way we do, while we'll leave the rest of the kit pretty much unchanged aside from a lower lip, it will look something like this(please excuse the unfinished work

Appearance wise, there's nothing I don't like about the exterior of the EVO. since the altezza tail lights were smoked, it looks ALOT better in my opinion, cause there isn't anything gayer than altezza tail lights. SO looks are an important factor, cause I don't think anyone will spend over 30k on a car and only be a fan of one part of the car.
Over all, it's a great car, one last thing to add, I'm about to go detail my car with this stuff I picked up from Wal-Mart called ICE, it's a synthetic detailer, I tried it on the WRX, and I even put it on the hood of my brothers car while he was sleeping, this stuff works great. It's not a wax mind you, but it gives the paint that extra edge to really shine, and it's easy as hell to apply. I recomend checking it out for yourself ( also, you need to buy some micro fiber cloths, total, it costed me like 13-14 dollars.)
I'll keep this thread going as I get more into my car, let you know how I like it once I pass the looming 1000 mile mark, and really get to enjoy it ( within a legal, or almost legal limit traffic permitting of coarse, no racing though.)
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:29 AM

It's interesting that you find low-rpm torque in the 4g63, I found it to have almost none, and found myself constantly itching to be higher in the rev-range .

Unfortunately, my first EVO-love was the V, and because of that the new car looks heavy in the middle, and the headlights look too big for the car. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't kick a IX out of bed, the STi styling just seems more consistent to me, but I realize I'm in the minority there.

Did you mention the '06 STi front-end? It's as bad as the EVO X is good, opposite ends of the spectrum, horrible to absolute bliss. The X is where it's at, no doubt.