Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

3rd day EVO owner initial impressions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2006, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd day EVO owner initial impressions

Hello to all, I have posted only very rarely on this forum before ( being a WRX owner, I basically had the "little kid on the sidelines watching the bigger kids play ball" thing going on.) As of 3 days ago, I became the proud owner of a GG IX MR as pictured here next to my brothers car

( can you guess which one is mine? pst, the one on the left...)

I gave it a few days so I could get used to the car, so the "new factor" was weeded out and I could come up with an educated statement portraying my personal experience with the car so far.

Driving the car, the shifter is very precise ( though it could be better, there are times of notchyness, but due to the fact of driving a Subaru for so long, this doesn't affect me aside from the fact of mentioning it.) The shifter is a bit tall, and one mod I plan on doing is get an aftermarket short shifter, not one to necessarily shorten the throw, but more aimed towards shortening the shift arm, if it were about 1" lower it would be perfect.
The steering is sharp, VERY sharp, even slightly turning it in either direction will send the car that way. This is not a bad thing, but I have been driving a car with a weaker steering response, so it takes some getting used to, it deffinately requires more concentration than with the WRX, but then again, the WRX cruised easier due to it's N/A like characteristics below 3500 RPM, thus making this stand out even more. I haven't had the option of free revving it or taking it higher than max 4k RPM due to the mileage so far ( I will write an impression when that day comes.) Though I have noticed this is where these 2 cars differ the most. Even the STi which I test drove, it still has an N/A characteristic manner below around 3-3500 RPM. Now the Evo doesn't seem to wind up till then either, but the EVO's gearing keeps you near 3k with ease, while in both the WRX and STi, below 3k is that natural flatline that seems to be incorporated into the cars for better gas mileage, or whatever it is there for, but I have noticed on the Subaru's, it takes forever to get to 3k, then it's all good after that, while the Evo effortlessly will go from any RPM to another with a simple blip of the pedal. I have been finding it extremely difficult to keep it around a 3-3500 shift cause it wants to build up speed so quickly in that area, and I am curious to see what it can do. Also with that said, don't wear steel toed shoes. my everyday shoes are far to heavy for this car, it makes my shifting sloppy and inprecise, though it's getting better, I still feel the rev happy engine is best tamed with a light foot, while my Subaru had no problems with a heavier shoe due to again, that flat 2-3000 spot.
The suspension is stiff, I don't think I need to elaborate much more than that for this crowd. I drove the car home on the highway after picking it up, and certain areas of road in SC totally jarred the hell out of me, my wife, and anything in the car ( she thought we had a flat tire.) I knew to expect it, though with the bilstein shocks, I would have thought the rebound would have been a bit softer, due to the fact my only other experience was with a regular IX. Now the stiff suspension may turn off some, but I know that was like that for pure handling goodness, and that's another section. This car exibits no body roll from anything I've done. now that's not saying a whole lot, since I haven't been able to really get on it, but I have taken turns and angled roads at times faster than a normal driving habit, and it totally goes into every corner low, centerred, and ready to do it again faster the next time. the handling is just fantastic, it makes any problems with a stiff ride disappear.
Now the interior, though good, deffinately could use improvements. the STi is way ahead in interior comfort. The over all ergonomics are far better in the STi, even the regular WRX just has a better interior fit and finish, though I wouldn't trade my Recaro's for anything. the Evo has a decent interior, though right way there was a small rattle that I still haven't located yet, which is annoying, but I'll find it eventually and quiet it. The guages factory placement was very strange, but luckily it doesn't take much to change that, and are now in a better position. The rear seat, ell, I don't sit back there, so I don't care if they are all that comfortable, I never really plan to have that many people in the car, even if it is a 4 door. The wing is great, I know this is a real divided issue some people love it, some people hate it, well, I'm one of the lovers, much better than the factory useless one on the WRX. Now it's not like I don't like my WRX ( which I still have for the moment.) There really isn't a complaint I have for the WRX, I just wanted more, and the EVO delivers all of that.
One final thing, I feel the brakes are great, but the pedal itself is slightly spoungy. It could use some SS lines and some new pads. The factory pads emit dust like its going out of style.

Over all, I loved the moment I test drove one of these months ago, and that hasn't changed, it is a pure drivers car, and can't be mistaken for anything else on the road ( even Subaru can't say that with it's Hyundai split grill.) the car gets looks, and even my neighbor, whom didn't know about this particular car, though it was totally fixed up, and I had to explain it comes from the factory like that. He ws taken aback by the huge brakes and nice wheel and wing. this car is great, and it deserves the praise of myself and everyone else who appreciates the last true JDM drivers car, because I'm sorry, this is the last, with the new EVO and STi being built here with strange paddle shifts and the like, I'm glad I could ****** up on of the last of this terrific range of cars.

I'll update this in the near future...
Old Mar 26, 2006, 07:46 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Nice review, is this the brother of that other guy lol?
Old Mar 26, 2006, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have chose an different color than my brother's evo but that just me.
Congrats on the new purchased
Old Mar 26, 2006, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

good review , also as far as the turbo goes. the WRX turbo (i dont know about the STi trubo) isnt nearly as well planned as the evo has a twin scroll design. also a good tip is to drive with your fot at an angle with the gas peddle and under the brake. i wear skateboarding shoes as i have wide feet so i learned to adapt. also as far as the throttle at 3000 or up accelerate and slowly let of the gas as the revs get to the right area.

Last edited by evo-boy; Mar 26, 2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 09:50 PM

Your review reminded me of how I felt when I sold my WRX and bought an Evo. I bought my WRX in March of 01 when they first came to the states. I thought it was an amazing car, and I put 50,000 miles on it before I sold it and bought my first Evo VIII in June of 03. The Evo knocked my socks off!!!....and still does. I put 49,000 miles on my 03 EVO VIII before selling it and picking up a GG Evo IX MR. The stock MR suspension was way too soft and floaty for me (my 03 was Muellerized Stage 1)....So I had John Mueller set me up with some killer coilovers, rear-bar, bushings, and proprietary alignment...at the 1350 mile mark. Now I truly have the car of my dreams in terms of handling...Who knows what the desire for more forward thrust will lead to. Welcome to the Evo ranks.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 09:51 PM

nice read...
Old Mar 26, 2006, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

I forgot how far off the floor the stock clutch engages. Can you remind me sinse It's been so long sinse I've had a stock clutch and this new exedy twin feels really really good and I can't tell. Does it engage midway, close to the floor, or higher?
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:26 PM
Account Disabled

Good review dude. What made you pick the Evo over the STi? I ask because it seems like you've had a pretty good experience with the WRX and, it sounds like, Subaru in general.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Great review. Very fun car
Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome too the EVO WORLD!! nice review ejnoyed reading it.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

welcome, i remember when i first got my evo. my god was my breath taking away with all the power it held and the superb handling. hope you enjoy her. these are very special cars
Old Mar 27, 2006, 01:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WICKed'N'EVO
I would have chose an different color than my brother's evo but that just me.
Congrats on the new purchased
He was actually shooting for a white one!! The dealership he purchased his from tried to get a white one, but the dealership (the same one I got mine from) wouldn't give up their white one!! Not very cool of them!!!
Old Mar 27, 2006, 01:43 AM

nice!
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:03 AM

I recently spent some time in an EVO IX and my impressions are somewhat similar.

Steering: EVO
Tossability: EVO
Low-rpm pull: STi
High-rpm pull: STi
Interior: STi

The EVO reminded me a lot of my old S2000, soft at the bottom, and strong on top, only VTEC-land had a lot more pull to it in the EVO. The STi feels, for lack of a better term, more muscle-carish.

The interesting thing to me was that my STi felt a lot stronger than the EVO, like if we raced I'd win easily. However, leaving the EVO was harder than I expected, and I'm Cobb Stage 2.

The bad thing, for me, is that I'm pretty much done with my mods, but the EVO was stock, and will surpass my STi in all-out performace in the near future (unless it has already, Nate?). The bad thing for Nate (the EVO IX owner) is that my car will still feel faster than his, even though it's not.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:28 AM

Nice review.

As a new owner I think the shifter is a bit long also, but the shifting action is precise and smooth.

I couple of things I thought were strange. Sometimes when i slowly run up the rpms it doesn't feel like the turbo is giving me any kick till after 4k or so, but if I'm on the throttle hard it feels like it kicks in much sooner. Sometimes when slowing down it doesn't feel like I'm getting any engine braking, maybe the car has a light flywheel? And when I'm stopped at a light idleing the car feels like it has a cam, sometimes not a real smooth idle.

My break pedal is very firm and takes a lot more pressure than what I was used to which is fine. My biggest problem is trying to keep it under 5k rpms. Just when things start getting fun it's time to shift. 300 miles to go before I let it rip.

Quick Reply: 3rd day EVO owner initial impressions