Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2005 Evo Rs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2006, 07:42 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Evo Rs

How scarce is the RS? I have been told by many that the 05 is the way to go for a used EVO, and it is indeed worth it over the 2003 and 2004 for many reasons however I still have a budget, $22-23,000... used with not a ton of miles hopefully 30k or less. I get out of training in the fall and that is when I plan to buy, think I'll have a problem finding a nice used 05 RS for that price?
Old Mar 26, 2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
How scarce is the RS? I have been told by many that the 05 is the way to go for a used EVO, and it is indeed worth it over the 2003 and 2004 for many reasons however I still have a budget, $22-23,000... used with not a ton of miles hopefully 30k or less. I get out of training in the fall and that is when I plan to buy, think I'll have a problem finding a nice used 05 RS for that price?

Hah! Good Luck. I had searched 10 states and found one in NJ! I had to drive my car up there, trade it and drive the RS back, after I stayed in Maryland for 2 weeks and broke it in so it was ready to go 1000 miles back home. I found an 06!

Hah! and RS IX It is a car from hell! They are very very scarce! I have a guy right now who will offer 32k for mine and I said noway, nohow... I wouldn't even take 35K.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 08:12 PM
Account Disabled

Eh I don't know if they are THAT scarce, I saw one for sale in the classified section, an 05 in WW with 9k and the guy wanted $23,500... no hits. I saw a IX in WW one state below me for $27***.00 Too bad I was not in the market, I'm sure I can be patient, damn there are alot of 03's for sale though. I just want to be as smart as can be when buying a used EVO and I think an 05 over the 03 and 04 is a good start.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
Eh I don't know if they are THAT scarce, I saw one for sale in the classified section, an 05 in WW with 9k and the guy wanted $23,500... no hits. I saw a IX in WW one state below me for $27***.00 Too bad I was not in the market, I'm sure I can be patient, damn there are alot of 03's for sale though. I just want to be as smart as can be when buying a used EVO and I think an 05 over the 03 and 04 is a good start.

You would be farther ahead (even on the pavement) if you can find an 06!
Old Mar 26, 2006, 08:46 PM
Account Disabled

Nightshifter...please stop. He's looking for an '05 VIII RS, not a review of your '06 IX RS.

SpooledYa...they're out there. I have an '05 RS and I'll occasionally browse cars.com or autotrader.com to see what kind of value it's holding in PP sale. I've saw an '04 RS with 40k miles going for $19k at a dealership a few months back. That's the lowest VIII RS I've ever seen. Most '05 RS models are still well above $20k but I think the price range you're looking at (21k-23k) is realistic. Just be patient. Lots of people buy the RS for the performance and sell them relatively shortly thereafter because of the lack of creature comforts. Let one of those morons take care of the depreciation for you and you'll essentially be getting a new car.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Turd Squirter
Nightshifter...please stop. He's looking for an '05 VIII RS, not a review of your '06 IX RS.

SpooledYa...they're out there. I have an '05 RS and I'll occasionally browse cars.com or autotrader.com to see what kind of value it's holding in PP sale. I've saw an '04 RS with 40k miles going for $19k at a dealership a few months back. That's the lowest VIII RS I've ever seen. Most '05 RS models are still well above $20k but I think the price range you're looking at (21k-23k) is realistic. Just be patient. Lots of people buy the RS for the performance and sell them relatively shortly thereafter because of the lack of creature comforts. Let one of those morons take care of the depreciation for you and you'll essentially be getting a new car.
That's why I have 3 cars. The RS is mainly for the track. The STi track & around town. The Cadillac CRX is my daily vehicle. Problem is, these morons probably beat the **** out of the car. But hopefully that 100,000/10 warranty will cover yah

I would go for an IX RS. Better car.

So what the difference if you spend 5k more (if you find one).. 50$ more on the payment ? And you have a new car, better technology.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Dam you make it sound like your car is ultra rare or something. RS is a production car seen them at couple of dealers.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

RS is rarest of the bunch.

Your not looking at all...plain and simple. Back in september i had the opportunity for purchase a new 05' RS off the lot for 23k flat down near L.A., and thats with ^cali prices. Luckily i held out to trade in my 03' for a IX RS for 26,500. Look harder.

Last edited by Darwinator; Mar 26, 2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SR20DE-T
Dam you make it sound like your car is ultra rare or something. RS is a production car seen them at couple of dealers.
Anything that is ultra rare is a production car.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NightShifter
That's why I have 3 cars. The RS is mainly for the track. The STi track & around town. The Cadillac CRX is my daily vehicle. Problem is, these morons probably beat the **** out of the car. But hopefully that 100,000/10 warranty will cover yah

I would go for an IX RS. Better car.

So what the difference if you spend 5k more (if you find one).. 50$ more on the payment ? And you have a new car, better technology.
You sound slow....you have to explain why YOU think the IX RS is a better car.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darwinator
RS is rarest of the bunch.

Your not looking at all...plain and simple. Back in september i had the opportunity for purchase a new 05' RS off the lot for 23k flat down near L.A., and thats with ^cali prices. Luckily i held out to trade in my 03' for a IX RS for 26,500. Look harder.

That was an awesome deal. I bought my 03' 48 hours before I saw that deal in the paper, otherwise I would be driving an RS right now.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:29 AM

Anything that is ultra rare is a production car.
True! They have to produce it in order for it to exist in the market !
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NightShifter
Hah! Good Luck. I had searched 10 states and found one in NJ! I had to drive my car up there, trade it and drive the RS back, after I stayed in Maryland for 2 weeks and broke it in so it was ready to go 1000 miles back home. I found an 06!

Hah! and RS IX It is a car from hell! They are very very scarce! I have a guy right now who will offer 32k for mine and I said noway, nohow... I wouldn't even take 35K.
BS! If you are not lying then send the guy my way, I'll sell him my RS for $32k and go buy another one.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Rare is not a word I use for a car that is still produced rarest of the EVO models but not rare as like a 1970-71 Plymouth 426 Hemi Cuda Convertible. Now that is a rare car I think only a few in existance.

Last edited by SR20DE-T; Mar 27, 2006 at 06:54 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:49 AM

Beating a dead horse here... but I guess we believe in an afterlife :)

You sound slow....you have to explain why YOU think the IX RS is a better car.
Well for starters, you are getting a better engine and turbo in general.
Too bad MIVEC (which employs a variable-area cam sprocket) only alters valve timing (where's the lift!)
The turbo has an increased compressor cover diffuser diameter to further improve boost response. This will give you a boost response over the entire rev range. The new turbo is a TD05HR-16G6C-10.5T. The EVO IX’s ECU allows it to pump 20.1 psi of boost at 3500 rpm and 16 psi at redline!
Improved gear ratios! Updated slightly lighter EVO-specific Enkei wheels !
Aesthetic changes to the front, which to most people, looks better then its predecessor. Interior upgrades (steering wheel, pedals, seats...). True, the 8's and 9's retain the same drive train (did the 8's have ACD?). I'm not sure if the RS has the rev limiter @ 5500 rpm. Blah blah blah, so the X will be even better, and then the XI and maybe the XII! Or just skip to lucky number XIII, because XIIII is not good luck in some Eastern Superstitions!

Bottom line, the EVO IX is better. The improvements aren’t huge, but neither is the price increase!

Last edited by NightShifter; Mar 27, 2006 at 07:23 AM.