Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dropped the clutch in my Evo!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2003, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The point u are missing is you are doing it wrong and causing possible damage to the drivetrain..

It is faster/better to slip the clutch. Droping it just does damage..

-Zach
Old Apr 7, 2003, 11:00 AM

That is the whole point. No matter what kind of AWD car you have. Your going to do damage. How subaru fixed the issue was to put a device in the clutch to make it where the clutch slips when you try to drop it. Guess what? That fixed 90% of the problems! The bottom line is you kill your drivetrain when you dump your clutch.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

When i was talking to Rhys Millen last week, he told me one of the best (and one of the safest) ways to launch the Evo is to hold the handbrake and feather the clutch and gas so that you are kind of moving forward but the brake is hold you back (almost exactly like when you go up a steep hill at a stop light)......then when you want to go, you let go of the brake and release the clutch and hit the gas all at once. Mind you, you're doing all of this for less than 2 or 3 seconds. Once I get my evo i'm going to test it out.

I've become pretty aquanted with Rhys from talking to him at some shows. It would be cool if I could stop by his shop and he could teach me how to properly launch.....i'm sure he wouldn't mind.....he's totally approachable like that.

Rob
Old Apr 7, 2003, 11:59 AM

1QWKEVO,

If you really want to see mitsu void your warranty, get up to highway spedd and then jam the tranny in reverse. My sister did that on a brand new civic automatic years ago. She told my dad "I don't know I was just driving along and it started making this funny noise and lurching alot." My dad went down and cussed out the dealership about the tranny going out on a brand new car, only about 1100 miles on it. Two days later they called back and told him that the car had been dropped into reverse at high speed and they voided the warrenty on the tranny. Man did my sister get an *** chewing.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Any transmission can fail if you beat up on it enough, anything from a Subaru WRX to an Evolution VIII and yes AWD cars have a shorter life span than 2WD cars if you launch the car hard alot... The service department at the dealership can tell if youve been abusing your car, especially the transmission and clutch disc. You have a nice car on your hands, you spent alot of money on it and im taking you want to keep the car in good mechanical shape, I wouldent want to see it on the back of a tow truck while your fighting with the service manager on getting a new transmission covored under warranty.

Last edited by tryandcatchme; Apr 7, 2003 at 12:18 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
comment about sticking the tranny in reverse on the Highway:

Thats jsut plain stupidity... I'd void one too...

Comment bout launching the car wrong:

Launching/powershifting an AWD in any shape way or form is wrong. Slipping the cluch will ware your clutch alot faster then dumpping, dumping at worst will creat heat scores on the flywheel.... And I don't know Fastest Steath in the US seams to like my style of launch (thats where I learned it from hint hint) Besides once in a while isn't going to do damage, it's those guys who do it from stoplight to stoplight. If your not going to have fun in a fast car go buy a Kia and not a performance vehicle(no offense to Kia owners). Besides mitsubishi is STUPID if they think people aren't going to race around in an EVO, that was their whole selling feature (it's rally bread/ this is a power machine)
Old Apr 7, 2003, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Big Tex
1QWKEVO,

Man did my sister get an *** chewing.

your dad chewed your sister's ***? [sorry...]

but yea, i dont really trust people who hang **** from their rear view mirror anyway. dropping the clutch can only hurt your car.

whoever does this and says "oh hey its new and has a warranty" has ZERO respect for the money they (or their PARENTS) spent on the damn car
Old Apr 7, 2003, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

did i comment on my sister? oops

Um yah i've got all the respect in the world for my car, I do all my own maintance/ modding/ repairs. Not one of my current 5 vehicles has seen a repair shop. All from 271hp to 750hp.

I'm not one to baby a car, thats not what I spend my money to do. Besides who in the hell cares about a clutch anyways.... if it's broken in then go for it, and when it wears out buy a new one... But slipping a clutch is going to wear the surface of a clutch alot faster (do the math) excess heat causes excess wear, not to mention makes the clutch hot so it doesn't grab as hard as it could between gears.

But hey, to each his own...
Old Apr 7, 2003, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

All this clutch dumping, you'd think you bought an EVO to do drag racing, if you wanted to be a drag racer you should've got an old GTO with a Hurst shifter, you can dump all freakin day and night and not hurt it.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

ya i don't know why people make it suck a big deal about dropping a clutch, can't we all jsut get along.....
Old Apr 7, 2003, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 1QWKEVO
.... And I don't know Fastest Steath in the US seams to like my style of launch (thats where I learned it from hint hint)
if you don't think that will find you...think again...http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/sho...arranty+denied

....posting that sh*t in public PLUS a video?...cool as the video was ...I'm sorry, but your just asking to be owned...take it for what it's worth...that is all...
Old Apr 7, 2003, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

ya i don't know why people make it suck a big deal about dropping a clutch, can't we all jsut get along.....

Because it is a common known fact that dropping the clutch is VERY hard on the drivetrain. And slipping the clutch will get you better times.. What would you rather replace? a ware item like a clutch or a tranny?

In the WRX people droping the clutch would hit 1.8 60fts.. and people slipping have got all the way down to 1.6 60fts.. But hey, it is your tranny warrenty, and i garrenty mitsu will not want to warrenty it.. SOA use to be nice about, until everyone started turning tranny claims from dropping their clutchs..

Also, it could blow your tranny in a few launchs.. i know of WRXs that did it with one launch. I also know ones that slip the clutch and have over 100 passes..

-Zach
Old Apr 7, 2003, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

no affense guys but our clutches aren't that strong we are talking stock clutches. And the Evo tranny is not a WRX tranny, WRX tranny' are known to break...
Old Apr 7, 2003, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

no affense guys but our clutches aren't that strong we are talking stock clutches. And the Evo tranny is not a WRX tranny, WRX tranny' are known to break...

Well, if you want to be slower and do damage to your drivetrain go ahead.

Can only lead you to the water.. cant make u drink..
Old Apr 7, 2003, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Evolution Transmissions are known to break also.....

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=17829

Quick Reply: Dropped the clutch in my Evo!!!!!