Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dropped the clutch in my Evo!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2003, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
theres one case... i've heard a few dosen of wrx trannys breaking, and all i can say is this weds will show weither or not it is bad on the times....
Old Apr 7, 2003, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For all those people complaining that doing clutch drops will void your warranty and are advocating that the Evo isn't a 1/4 car I have news for you. If you take your car to a road racing track or do any type of racing it's considered abuse so Mitsu will not allow warranty claims if that's the case. Technically if you never want to void your warranty you can only street drive the Evo (but be sure not to "abuse" it).

Old Apr 7, 2003, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 1QWKEVO
theres one case... i've heard a few dosen of wrx trannys breaking, and all i can say is this weds will show weither or not it is bad on the times....
Not just one case, theres actually a few listed in there, skim through all of the posts.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

You jsut have to know how to talk to a dealership.... Hey we got my friends GST warrentied and it had a ACT2600 in it lol 2 broken tranny's..... Explain why they went ahead and warrentied that....
Old Apr 7, 2003, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Did they know it had an aftermarket clutch?
Old Apr 7, 2003, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

um I don't know what would you think when you saw a big @$$ yellow clutch infront of the tranny...... doubt mitsubishi clutches are yellow
Old Apr 7, 2003, 02:23 PM

The WRX up till 2002 had problems with the trannys mainly because of clutch drops. There were some other issues but they were worked out, clutch shudder etc. Subaru beefed up the parts inside the tranny and as i mentioned before put a cylinder on the clutch to prevent clutch drops. Subaru had to get tough on warrantying every tranny because everyone was being stupid and dropping the clutch. I would rather have a worn out clutch than a broken tranny anyday. This isnt about subaru vrs mitz. Its about doing things with your car that are not smart. Car and driver did a reivew on a performance wrx and found they got alot faster times by slipping the clutch instead of droppping it. Do what you want guys. i am just trying to give a friendly warning. If dealerships get alot of trannys coming in because of clutch drops then they are going to start being tough on what they will or will not warranty. They are in the business to make money. I guarantee when they designed your tranny they didnt think every tom dick and harry would be dropping their clutch at 5000 rpm.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by dlowman
...I guarantee when they designed your tranny they didnt think every tom dick and harry would be dropping their clutch at 5000 rpm.
C'mon now. I agree that dropping your clutch will cause unusual wear and tear of your drivetrain, however, I don't think that the Mitsubishi engineers are that naive.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by 1QWKEVO
Umm...the wrx has been around since March 2001. Evo has been around for ~1 month. I don't understand how some of you are so sure that the evo tranny is bulletproof... from what I've read, there have already been some evo tranny failures...

BTW, I would probably delete that video and this thread...this thread might come back later down the future and bite you in your ****.

Example: (you'll have to read the first few pages to see what happened).
http://forums.i-club.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1
Old Apr 7, 2003, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by ScoobyDoobieSTi

Umm...the wrx has been around since March 2001. Evo has been around for ~1 month. I don't understand how some of you are so sure that the evo tranny is bulletproof... from what I've read, there have already been some evo tranny failures...
I'm no expert by any means, but, I was under the impression that the EVO VIII tranny is the same "bulletproof" tranny that's been in use in the older generations. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Old Apr 7, 2003, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by zyounker
Because it is a common known fact that dropping the clutch is VERY hard on the drivetrain. And slipping the clutch will get you better times.. What would you rather replace? a ware item like a clutch or a tranny?

In the WRX people droping the clutch would hit 1.8 60fts.. and people slipping have got all the way down to 1.6 60fts.. But hey, it is your tranny warrenty, and i garrenty mitsu will not want to warrenty it.. SOA use to be nice about, until everyone started turning tranny claims from dropping their clutchs..

Also, it could blow your tranny in a few launchs.. i know of WRXs that did it with one launch. I also know ones that slip the clutch and have over 100 passes..
-Zach
Tell ya what, get an Evo and go drag it. Try slipping the clutch and tell me what you smell. That's right. You can't slip the clutch in this car. It fries almost instantly. If people are getting better times in an AWD car by slipping the clutch it's because it puts down too much power and keeps the wheels spinning. A stock WRX would fare much better with a clutch drop then slip if it weren't for the crappy tranny. The Evo tranny is solid and won't have problems with a clutch drop. ALL of this has been discussed already in previous posts. You will NOT get better times slipping the clutch in this car.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Evilution

You will NOT get better times slipping the clutch in this car.
That proves to be seen yet. The best technique I've heard has been to slip the clutch FAST on AWD cars (DSMs to be specific), power isn't really the concern.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

So far all of the best times actually tested including by myself have been from clutch drops. The only difference I do is a 10% lift to engage clutch for like 3 tenths of a second then fully release. This seemed to prevent wheel spin better. Magazines all did a clutch drop, the few posts on this forum garnering 13.5-13.8 are all from clutch drop. Most of us have also stated that we tried slipping the clutch. Like I said if you slip it for more than a second it burns. You can smell it really quickly. I think that's plenty of proof for ya don't ya think. Do a search, read the mag articles and know the truth. If someone finds a miracle way to slip it properly and get better times then they'll be a god send. Until then dump it.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 05:23 PM

Obviously if you slip the clutch for more than a second, it will burn. That's true for any clutch and any car. When I say slip the clutch, this is done rather quickly. Almost as if you were dumping it. Again, I'm no expert. I got this information from a reliable source (a reputable DSM vendor).
Old Apr 7, 2003, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Evilution
So far all of the best times actually tested including by myself have been from clutch drops. The only difference I do is a 10% lift to engage clutch for like 3 tenths of a second then fully release. This seemed to prevent wheel spin better. Magazines all did a clutch drop, the few posts on this forum garnering 13.5-13.8 are all from clutch drop. Most of us have also stated that we tried slipping the clutch. Like I said if you slip it for more than a second it burns. You can smell it really quickly. I think that's plenty of proof for ya don't ya think. Do a search, read the mag articles and know the truth. If someone finds a miracle way to slip it properly and get better times then they'll be a god send. Until then dump it.

um, i do own an evo, and if you cant do it, you are not doing it right.. U dont need to burn up the clutch.. but you do need to feather it.. not just side step the clutch.. And i get MUCH better launches slipping it.. although i have never droped my EVO's clutch.. but i did my WRXs..

Oh, and maybe u should go ask the DSM guys.. they slip too..

This isn't new information.. and the AWD system in the evo is not all that different or new. it has been around for years..

Quick Reply: Dropped the clutch in my Evo!!!!!