Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is the MR worth the difference in price?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by x838nwy
My evo is and MR and it's actually 2003 (thought it was 04 till about yesterday). No tranny problems with my 6 spd. No probs with by S-AYC and none withthe ADC.
I am gonna go for the MR for sure, either WW or GG we will see. In relation to the S-AYC - the US cars still don't have this do they ? ? ?
Thanks again guys,
MarK.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

It all comes down to what you really want with the car, do you want the aluminum roof or sunroof, or the regular steel roof? do you plan to upgrade the gauges? the wheels? Is the 6-speed that important to you? gears 1-4 on the 5 speed are the exact same, the 6th gear only drops highway rpms ~500 rpms lower than the fifth gear on the 5 speed. Lets face it the Evo can tend to have tranny problems, do you want to have to try and rebuild a 5 or 6 speed, all things to consider depending on your goal with the car. A stock MR is better than a Stock GSR no doubt in raw performance numbers, however when modded all those things can change. This is all my opinion anyway, take it for what its worth.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
all the major trans rebuilders charge the same price for 5 and 6 speed repair. funny, i'm looking at the specs right here and the gear ratios are different. 5-speed=1-2.928,2-1.95,3-1.407,4-1.031,5-.72, with a final drive of 4.529 and the 6-speed=1-2.909,2-1.944,3-1.434,4-1.1,5-.868,6-.693, withy a final drive of 4.583 so they are substantially different. in my opinion the 5-speed gear ratios are superior for the strip and the MR shines at the autocross and daily driving as far as the highway goes but it's all personal preferance. both trannies are used at everything well.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hondafan
all the major trans rebuilders charge the same price for 5 and 6 speed repair. funny, i'm looking at the specs right here and the gear ratios are different. 5-speed=1-2.928,2-1.95,3-1.407,4-1.031,5-.72, with a final drive of 4.529 and the 6-speed=1-2.909,2-1.944,3-1.434,4-1.1,5-.868,6-.693, withy a final drive of 4.583 so they are substantially different. in my opinion the 5-speed gear ratios are superior for the strip and the MR shines at the autocross and daily driving as far as the highway goes but it's all personal preferance. both trannies are used at everything well.
I'll stick with my shorter third and shorter fourth gears, since my fist and second are both taller than the MR's, I would think shorter gears in an autocross where you spend more time in 1st and 2nd would not be a good thing. I could see the taller 3rd and 4th being of benifit on a real race track though. To each their own. Cheers!
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you've got to take the final drive ratio into account as this affects every other gear ratio.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kingsolomon12
Ok I am days away from getting an evo. I know MSRP there is a $5000 difference between the 9 and the 9 MR but at most dealers its a $4000 difference. I drove both a 9 and a 9 MR back to back albeit breifly and they really are the same car. Is the only place you would truly feel the difference on a track or is it negligable. When it comes to resale do you think there will be a $4000 difference between the 9 and MR's when they start to appear used or is the MR likley to loose more money ? ? ?
Thanks for any help...
MarK.
Here's my reasons for getting the MR over the IX. (I used to have an 03 GSR)

1. Smoother ride at lower speeds. 2. Smoother shifting trans. 3. Better 4 to 5 shifts.. well then of course 5 to 6. I remember a noticeable gap between 4th and 5th. 4. HIDS without having to get an SSL package. (I prefer the standard seats anyway) 5. I prefer the BBS wheels.

I'm not bashing the GSR or RS at all. They're awesome cars. I just prefer the MR and I was willing to pay 4k extra for it.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hondafan
I think those gear specs are for the evo 8? The IX ratios are a little tighter now while first gear is a 2.785.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

You know I discovered this new thing... it's a menu option at the top of the forum... oddly and cryptically labeled S E A R C H. After 10 seconds with this magical new feature, I discovered this graph that may lead you to enlightenment...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...chmentid=60552

FYI it is from this thread

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=129594

Last edited by DrSmile; Mar 28, 2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:57 PM

dont think the mr is worth that price. there are 3 bolt on parts that u can add to your evo to get more power and make ur evo faster and the price for these parts add up to 1,200. read it in a tuner mag.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by lancerzdropped
dont think the mr is worth that price. there are 3 bolt on parts that u can add to your evo to get more power and make ur evo faster and the price for these parts add up to 1,200. read it in a tuner mag.
+1

MR isnt worth the money you can do a lot of stuff to a 9 GSR for 4000 dollars have 360WHP and suspension 9 wheels look better than the bbs ones anyway
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:11 AM
Account Disabled

NO !!! MR just say no
If your planning on not modding, which is nearly impossible keep the giant wheel gap and bounce that comes standard on the MR and be happy. i'd rather get some Pss9's and all the other removable bolt on's that you will eventually want. I know I was concerned with the warranty issues before i bought the evo, now i'm just like everyone else, and i trust that My evo is strong enough (bulletproof) to Mod and not break
Old Mar 29, 2006, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lancerzdropped
OK, here is a guy who doesn't even drive an EVO criticizing the MR

Originally Posted by TarmacBlackEvo8
+1

MR isnt worth the money you can do a lot of stuff to a 9 GSR for 4000 dollars have 360WHP and suspension 9 wheels look better than the bbs ones anyway
Here is another guy, slamming a car he does not have or understand

Originally Posted by RobDogg
NO !!! MR just say no
If your planning on not modding, which is nearly impossible keep the giant wheel gap and bounce that comes standard on the MR and be happy. i'd rather get some Pss9's and all the other removable bolt on's that you will eventually want. I know I was concerned with the warranty issues before i bought the evo, now i'm just like everyone else, and i trust that My evo is strong enough (bulletproof) to Mod and not break
First of all, not modifying your car is not impossible. Actually, once you modify your car and screw it up totally, it's very easy to leave the next car alone. The giant wheel gap is the same as in all EVOs. There is no difference in wheel gap between the MR, GSR or RS..... The "bounce" you complain about is called "suspension compliance". To you it's not desireable but it's much sought after by people who prefer performance over looks. Personally, I don't like to rice-up any EVO. The MR is even more exclusive and carefully engineered. From reading your signature I see that you've already destroyed the BBS wheels from your car as well as changing or perhaps damaging other parts. Of course, you can do whatever you want to your car, but don't think you are right about everything or that your ideas are the best for everybody. Sounds to me that you wasted a lot of good money and ruined a fine car. You should have considered buying something like a Honda Civic and modifying the hell out of it, with slammed suspension, 19" wheels, etc. You would have been happier, saved a tone of cash and saved a fine car from a gruesome fate

What I don't understand is why so many people are against the MR.... No MR owner ever slams the other EVO models (although they are definitely below the MR). Seems like there is a lot of MR hatred, specially by people who do not own one...
Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DrSmile
You know I discovered this new thing... it's a menu option at the top of the forum... oddly and cryptically labeled S E A R C H. After 10 seconds with this magical new feature, I discovered this graph that may lead you to enlightenment...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...chmentid=60552

FYI it is from this thread

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=129594
1-4 look almost identical to me
Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

MR no. You can install a much better coilovers for alot cheaper and then use the left over money for your power mods.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can't install new coilovers, 6spd tranny, aluminum roof, and 17lb rims for cheaper, though.

Quick Reply: Is the MR worth the difference in price?