Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is the MR worth the difference in price?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is the MR worth the difference in price?

Ok I am days away from getting an evo. I know MSRP there is a $5000 difference between the 9 and the 9 MR but at most dealers its a $4000 difference. I drove both a 9 and a 9 MR back to back albeit breifly and they really are the same car. Is the only place you would truly feel the difference on a track or is it negligable. When it comes to resale do you think there will be a $4000 difference between the 9 and MR's when they start to appear used or is the MR likley to loose more money ? ? ?
Thanks for any help...
MarK.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:20 PM

SEARCH...it's been covered before
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:23 PM

Ok just did some research, an Evo 8 MR is only worth $1500 more than the standard evo 8. Was the price difference between the 8 and 8 MR the same in 05 as it is now in 06, as if so there is no reason why there should be any difference with the 9's in which case the MR's do loose more money than the standard car ? ? ?
MarK.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

It amazes me how some people do not research. The search tool on this forum has saved me from wasting other people's time with old topics that have been covered time and time again. Dude, research why don't ya.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kingsolomon12
Ok just did some research, an Evo 8 MR is only worth $1500 more than the standard evo 8. Was the price difference between the 8 and 8 MR the same in 05 as it is now in 06, as if so there is no reason why there should be any difference with the 9's in which case the MR's do loose more money than the standard car ? ? ?
MarK.
"Some research"? Why not finish researching and research some more afterwards. Research, research, research ... research your brains out.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Ok I am days away from getting an evo. I know MSRP there is a $5000 difference between the 9 and the 9 MR but at most dealers its a $4000 difference. I drove both a 9 and a 9 MR back to back albeit breifly and they really are the same car. Is the only place you would truly feel the difference on a track or is it negligable. When it comes to resale do you think there will be a $4000 difference between the 9 and MR's when they start to appear used or is the MR likley to loose more money ? ? ?
Thanks for any help...
MarK.
If your biggest concern is depreciation, then no its not worth it.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:39 PM

The search function is not working for me right now. I will try again but if any of you can actually give me some insight that would be helpful...
MarK.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YES, it worth the extra money man!!

MR has these followings.....
1. 6 speed tranny w/ aluminun shift knob
2. HID headlight
3. Boost Gauge kit
4. Vortex generator, Zero lift kit
5. Bilstein shocks
6. BBS forged wheel
7. Aluminum roof
8. Other MR stuff such as badges, floor mats, etc....

All came with factory warranty!!
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

well my friend had one, and i would have to admit, absolutely.... NOT!!! ha at one point we had the same mods and im 190 him being 145 and pulled on him like a rapped ape.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Yodobashi
If your biggest concern is depreciation, then no its not worth it.
Depreciation is not my biggest concern but it is definatly a factor. If the MR cost 4g's more but retained this 4g's when selling privatly I would get it on principal that its technically the better car and I will get my money back when I sell it. However it seems like the MR looses a further $2500 over the standard evo so with this conjured with the fact it costs $4000+ more how did so many of you justify it. Money is money and we all work hard for it so some of you have justified the above money factor with the fact that it must be a better car. I am asking specs aside as we all know the actual specs i.e. aluminium roof, lighter wheels ect. but how is the car actually better to drive ? ? ? On paper there is no doubt that the MR is a better car but how does this translate on the road which is what really counts.
Thanks again,
MarK.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Extra stuff on MR = more weight so I guess if you looking for the fastest out of the 3, RS, IX or MR then the RS is best for you cus it out runt he two heavier EVO.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's hard to quantify how it translates on the street. I make great use of my 6spd on the road course and while cruising on the highway. I love how my BBS MR rims look compared to the plain Enkeis, and I love using them for racing, since they are 17lbs each and are forged, which makes them very strong. I love my smooth shifting due to the teflon-coated shifting cables, and I absolutely love the Bilsteins when autocrossing and road racing. The things I do on the stock suspension are just mind-boggling to me. I get the most awesome stock setup for racing in terms of suspension and wheels, but then I also get a very soft and smooth daily ride that isn't harsh.

I don't know where you get this "looses a further $2500 over the standard evo" (loses, btw) stuff, but I get the feeling you are confusing the base GSR with the SSL version. The SSL version is only 2k less than the MR, but has leather, moonroof, and sound system. However, the base GSR has none of that stuff, not even HIDs, and is 4k less. They do not sell for only 1500 less than the MR. They are worth much less...
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

If only the MR would have had the SSL package, I would have gotten an MR
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Depreciation is not my biggest concern but it is definatly a factor. If the MR cost 4g's more but retained this 4g's when selling privatly I would get it on principal that its technically the better car and I will get my money back when I sell it. However it seems like the MR looses a further $2500 over the standard evo so with this conjured with the fact it costs $4000+ more how did so many of you justify it. Money is money and we all work hard for it so some of you have justified the above money factor with the fact that it must be a better car. I am asking specs aside as we all know the actual specs i.e. aluminium roof, lighter wheels ect. but how is the car actually better to drive ? ? ? On paper there is no doubt that the MR is a better car but how does this translate on the road which is what really counts.
Thanks again,
MarK.
Check out the motor trend article where they compare all 3 models. Basically, the MR was 1/2 car length quicker around a track. IMHO, not worth the money. But if you are a competetive racer, your opinion might be different. For me, I would rather have a sunroof and leather seats and save a couple grand and be half a car slower around a track but thats just me.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:16 PM

Finally some useful replies... thanks... In regards to the RS I have ruled it out as it really does lack some important features as far as I am concerned and the insurance is 30% more for me on the RS versus the standard GSR or MR. The SSL package means nothing to me as I love the stock interior, I could see myself sliding in the leather seats more when conering, the stereo is still **** albeit better than the stock one and I dont really care desperatly for a sunroof so I am torn between the standard Evolution and the MR which has a price difference of $4900 MSRP which translates to around $4000 at most dealers giving deals. As far as my figures go in terms of loss on the 8 vs the 8MR look for yourself at KBB.com...
Any more info and insight would be greatly appreciated... keep it comming...
Thanks again,
MarK.

Quick Reply: Is the MR worth the difference in price?