Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Water under the carpet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2006 | 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

The same thing happened to my brand new Civic when I bought it in 2001. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the carpet free of charge. It turns out that some of the seals (near the trunk area) had not been properly installed (which they remedied). I don't know if this is exactly what is causing your problem, but whatever it is should be covered under warranty for sure.
Old Aug 31, 2006 | 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Hello, I hate to bring this back from the dead but I'm having the same leak issue with my 3,900 mile old 06 MR And I'd like to know what happened with yours? Did they solve it? If so how, what, etc?

I actually had two issues happen this week. The first was the leak that happened while it was raining like crap all this week from Sunday till Today. I had parked the car Sunday night after coming home from work in the rain. I didn't notice any leaks when I left it in front of my house. Next day I take it out in the afternoon and theres a pool of water in both the front and rear passengers side footwells about 2" deep.

So I thought maybe I left the window at a crack or the door didn't close entirely. I went and wetvacced it out. The next two days rained and I had the same result each day, pooling water in both spots, more in the rear when it's parked nose up incline and more in front when parked nose down incline, and I had to bail with a cup and wetvac the rest.

Now I don't use the AC daily, I usually have the windows down all the time in good weather and possibly use the heater at night. I have used the AC a total of maybe 4 to 5 times since I've had the car since June and of course used the Defog/AC when it is raining out.

I had read Warrtalons thread on his leak issue in the past but didn't think my situation applied since my car is a 06.

Then after about the second day of driving in the rain and having to bail it out every morning or night my SES light came on. I had thought I'd wait till next week to bring it in for the leak but as soon as I saw the light it went in the morning.

OK fast forward to today. The car is in the shop, they said the code was the dreaded and famed "Random Missfire" P0300 covered in past TSB's it got a reprogram/upgrade and all is well there but no results in finding the leak. They say they have the seats out, carpets up and trim removed and are spraying it with a hose and can't find anything. So I'm kinda at a loss and of course want the issue resolved.

I do have to give them credit at Yonkers Mitsubishi, they treat me well and take interest in any issue and are working on solving the issue in a timely manner so I have no problem with them or my service, actually I feel they are so far a VG service department.

I'm just curious about the leak mostly, And now if there is a history of the P0300 "missfire" occurring or reoccurring in a 06 yet?

Thanks for all and any help or advice.
Old Sep 8, 2006 | 07:36 AM

My car had water under the carpet only on the drivers side when it would rain or i would wash my car. the problem was a rubber plug that had a wire harness going thru it popped out from under the dash to left side and up a little. it was an esy fix just go from thru your wheelwell and push the plug thru.
Old Sep 8, 2006 | 07:41 AM
EvoM Administrator

Yeah, mine happened after a hastily replaced windshield. If there is a lot of water in the interior, it will be easy to spot, you just have to duplicate what causes it (ie: rain with a garden hose or A/C on for awhile while searching during idle).
Old Sep 8, 2006 | 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Yeah, mine happened after a hastily replaced windshield. If there is a lot of water in the interior, it will be easy to spot, you just have to duplicate what causes it (ie: rain with a garden hose or A/C on for awhile while searching during idle).
My leak only accumulated from the front passengers footwell to the rear while it was parked on an incline nose up. I'm still not sure if it started leaking while I was driving during a storm or happened while the car was parked. But I had at least 16 oz of water in the rear footwell that you could see and bail out with a cup.

It happened at the 3,900 mile mark on the odo but funny enough never happened before that during torrential downpours or even hail storms.

I had taken the car in to the dealer last week as I reported earlier, they solved the "SES" light. Turns out to be P0301 random missfire" and "reflashed ECU" as per TSB.

But they didn't have any luck with finding the leak even after I explained the conditions in which it occurred and listed past possible TSB's. They pulled up the carpet, removed the back and front passengers seats, checked for leaks with a hose, cleaned up the water under the carpet, applied sealer to seams and let it all dry out over last weekend before I got it back. Since then I only had a small sprinkle of a rain storm and no water accumulation. But I don't know if the leak is solved and really don't know where to look next.

It's definitely no related to the HVAC since I have run the AC constantly since I picked the car up on max recycle to maintain a dry interior. I've also placed 2 anti mold/mildew and water absorbers for flood damage in the car to keep any mold/mildew from growing and to absorb any water left in the carpet.

Any help and insight is always appreciated.

Other than that, the car is great but this leak issue alone could be enough to make me think about a trade in a bit earlier than I had previously intended.
Old Sep 8, 2006 | 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
I was outside a little while ago vacuuming my car. When I got to the passenger side front carpet I noticed it had a wet look to it. I pressed down on it and a good portion of it was damp. So I continued pressing my fingers into the carpet and right next to the center console it is completely soaked. Like when I push down, it makes a squishing noise pretty bad. It's like that in a couple other places, but one place is really bad!!

I've had my car for like one week and something is already happening!! Has anyone else had any kind of experience like this?? I took out the MR badged stuff so that it won't get water logged, but I'm worried considering it feels like a good amount of water beneath the carpet.
I know what this is!!! Check your wiper fluid, there's a leak thing under the passenger carpet, popped off on my car during suspension install. You've got to reconnect your hose, see if the sprayers work.
Old Sep 8, 2006 | 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

This is exactly what it is!!! I had it happen to me!
Old Sep 8, 2006 | 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evochow
06 evo have the windshield jar in the trunk, i think the hose runs under the carpet to to front of the car. you might have a loose hose somewhere. my o4 sti have the same set up for the intercooler spray.
This is what it is!!! Its not airconditioner check your wiper resevoir!!!
Old Sep 8, 2006 | 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
There is a hose for the wipers that runs under the carpetting.
Old Oct 28, 2006 | 07:48 PM

Dam, now my 3week old 06 MR is 2 inches under water on the passenger side from footwell all the way back to the rear seat. Will be taking it to the dealer Monday. Any ideas if there could be long term damage? When it dries out I hope like hell there are not stains. :/
Old Oct 29, 2006 | 11:33 AM

Its the rubber gromit that the wiring harness runs through, happened to my 03 and also my friends 03.
Old Oct 29, 2006 | 12:01 PM

Any idea where exactly this rubber gromit is so I don't spend an hour looking for it? Do I have to pull up the carpet somewhere?
Old Oct 29, 2006 | 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

I think like someone said, it's probably a rubber grommet. I was told it was a "seal" so that could mean anything. I'm not sure what they did, but it's never happened again. I can find out exactly what happened if anyone needs the info.
Old Nov 9, 2006 | 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
I think like someone said, it's probably a rubber grommet. I was told it was a "seal" so that could mean anything. I'm not sure what they did, but it's never happened again. I can find out exactly what happened if anyone needs the info.
Hi, my friend who bought a 06 Mr just last week has the same problem. When located the leak, it is on the passenger side coming from the "divider bump" (don't know what its called) between front/rear passenger side carpet. Its not the washer fluid, as we replicated the stormy condition from the past couple of days via DIY carwash.

SRTRaceR04, can you tell me what exactly was done so I can relay it to the dealer, unless my friend's situation is not the same as yours.
Anyone else who have experience with this please chime in.

Thx! BTW i'm posting for my friend because he hasn't been approved by mod's to post yeah.
Old Nov 12, 2006 | 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Those who had these problems, did the dealership took care of it or did it happen again?

Quick Reply: Water under the carpet