Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone have a Perrin Shorty Antenne on the Evo? Impressions? Options?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have a Perrin Shorty Antenne on the Evo? Impressions? Options?

I just picked up a 2006 IX SSL package Evo just over a month ago and wanted to do a few cosmetic changes to the outside of my car. The Perrin Shorty Antenne looks great but..... how does it sound? I live on Southern California so radio stations are pretty sold. On the other hand.... when i get out of the city i usually swap over to my IPOD or MP3/WMA/Sirius radio to get tunes without low quality and clarity. (actually i rarely listen to the radio.

So.... is the Perrin the way to go? Or ive had people mentioning for me to get a stock Honda S2000 antenne which wouldnt be a problem either. I just want to get a shorty antenna with good quality and a proper fit.

Do any of you guys have these on your EVO's and whats your impression of the two choices i'm mentioning here. AND.... if there are other choices.... throw them my way please!
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Andrew...this is like asking what brand of plastic valve stem caps to get. They work, they fit, and they don't have the best reception. The End. It's a $25 mod that isn't worth thinking twice about...
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

I have a Perrin shorty.

Good reception.

Good quality.

The Perrin shorty's base is slightly wider than the stock base.

Don't know about the S2000 antenna.

Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Andrew...this is like asking what brand of plastic valve stem caps to get. They work, they fit, and they don't have the best reception. The End. It's a $25 mod that isn't worth thinking twice about...
I agree.

I have it and in areas where you have less than perfect reception now with the stock antenna, forget about it with the shorty. I dont really listen to the radio much, so it doesnt bother me. I still get the strong signal stations fine though.

Just get it. If you decide you dont like it, you can sell it here and you'll only be out 5 or 10 bucks.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Thanks for your contribution to the tread. I just don't want to get suck with a POS like i hear the Perrin is. While i've heard the S2000 one is much better.

I'd rather do plenty of research before spending any money on any mod. Especially my upcoming Custom 3" Turbo Back Exhaust, fuel pump, MBC, intake, and custom dyno turning job.

And some of you may be interested in this new flash module which will be availably shortly from an LA Tuners Shop where you can program up to 5-7 various maps and when you want to switch flashes.... plug in the module.... and pick which one you want... and you're off after a 15 minute flash

I wont say who is going to be marketing this.... but its going to be awesome. Much like the flash box you can buy for subarus.

Warrloton: I'll inform you on this when its ready. You seem to know your stuff on most parts so i'll throw it by you and one other tuner you work with who has been indscussion with for the past week over the module.

I would love to drive on a dyno tuned 91 octane map and when i get to the track.... throw some VP 100 octane fuel in it and flash it for 100 octane and AWAY WE GO!!!!
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

The Perrin shorty isn't really that bad, just expensive for what it is.

My initial problem was that my car cover would not fit properly with the stock antenna.

Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

I know with the 05 Evo's there are some fitment issues since the thread was changed or something. I'm not too sure about 06's, but you may want to look into that.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I know about the new flash box, but no idea on the release date.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info. I'm runinng down to a honda dealer tomorrow to talk with the guys about it. If it fits, its mine.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

I bought an S2000 antenna because it was cheaper. It's stock from the S2000, so it has clear reception. I just wanted a shorter antenna, I hate the radio.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:55 PM
Account Disabled

S2000 antenna gives crappy receptions at times. As mentioned earlier in the thread, major radio stations will be fine... others might become very staticy.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

My Perrin shorty seems to have good reception, but then my
stock radio isn't anything special. Maybe I can't tell the difference.

Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ I ditched the stock radio a while ago with a very nice Clarion Pro Audio one. All i can say that even with the stocker system (SSL system), it makes it sound about 10x better and i never used any powered leads off the head unit. All RCA outputs and my Sub Output will be running straight into my sub amp.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ Since you have a nice sound system, I can see why having a good antenna
is important. If the stock antenna is working well for you, why not keep it.

If you pick up the S2000 antenna hopefully it works out for your setup.

Old Apr 8, 2006, 03:20 PM

I took the antenna off my S and tried it on the VIII, it doesn't seem to fit flush. It's very close but still bugs me that there is a bit of separation. Anyone else have this issue or is this just me ??

Quick Reply: Anyone have a Perrin Shorty Antenne on the Evo? Impressions? Options?