Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stealership said acorn nuts dangerous

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2006, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stealership said acorn nuts dangerous

went to the stealership to get something checked out and a mechanic said that the open ended acorn nuts i put on pose a slight risk of the stud breaking off and messing up the wheel. He said the stock nut's end goes into the wheel and helps center it, unlike the acorn nut which just pushes on the outside of the wheel. Any truth to this? he said its a small risk but he made a big deal out of it. I feel like most of the weight is not put on the studd but on the mating between the rotor and the back of the wheel.
Anyone ever heard of acorn nuts posing a risk?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 02:39 AM
Evolved Member

Cool

Old Mar 30, 2006, 03:00 AM

The bottom of the nut doesnt taper to help center it, or is it flat?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
no the acorn nut is just fine unless ur wheels are desighned for the ones that fit snugly into the hole. it will not break the stud though. he is wrong the only thing it would do if u dont have the right lug for the wheel is cause a vibration if the lug dousnt center the wheel right. and if ur wheel dount have a taperd hole where the lug fits in then the acorn lug will
put a impression into the wheel. look at the hole on the wheel and if it is just a hole with no taper then u should put the stock lugs back on. the acorn will start settting itself into the wheel and get loose. sorry about the book. but i used to bust tires for a while.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

I did not see if you still run the stock wheels. If so, YES he is right. The factory lugnuts have a flat back (washer) and do slip inside the opening on the factory wheel.

Mattj
Old Mar 30, 2006, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

The OEM wheels are NOT designed for acorn lug nuts! The only real disadvantage of being open ended is corrosion and dirt on the stud. Like the other guys said, if you are using the OEM wheels switch back to the OEM lug nuts NOW!
Old Mar 30, 2006, 05:35 AM

how come no one mentioned this before? I hear all the time about people buying lightweight open ended lugs on here and alot of them are on the stock wheels.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

I think its pretty obvious by looking at the OEM lug nuts that they are very different than a taper/acorn lug nut. That said, almost every aftermarket wheel for the evo (and most other cars) uses acorn lug nuts. The seat for the nuts in the wheels is totally different from OEM. Don't forget to torque them to spec in a criss-cross pattern! I typically torque to about 80 ft-lbs.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by undrcroft
how come no one mentioned this before? I hear all the time about people buying lightweight open ended lugs on here and alot of them are on the stock wheels.

yea u can get open ended lightweight lugs for the stock wheels that are not tapered. u want the ones with a washer and that fit inside the wheel.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 02:01 AM

I got a set of EVO MR wheels. Now I need the right lug nuts because I don't have an EVO so I don't know what the stock lug nuts look like. If anyone can show me in the following link, or where I can find one that works, please help me out. Or if someone in SoCal wants to sell me their stock lug nuts that's fine too.

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/products...=249&sfID2=249