Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

dealer did not pay off my old car !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stpracer
How did they get the title for the old car without paying it off?
They were to get the title from my credit union after paying off my old car. I never knew in a million years that a car could be sold without a title, but they did it. Apparently the dealership have loopholes to that.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to the dealership at a time when there's a lot of customers. Stand in the middle of the showroom and get loud with the salesman or manager about how they ripped you off so all the potential customers can hear. I'd bet they'd resolve the issue with you very quickly.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

thats why I bought from a good dealer south coast mitsu sucks man good luck getting your stuff resolved before your credit score goes down too much
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

what a trip.

the dealer i bought my evo from didn't pay off my trade-in either. it happened to be financed by my credit union, which was small and resposive enough inquire 3+ weeks later as to why i was late making my payment all of a sudden.

i walked in and started raising hell, and was directed to their finance guy, who mirculously discovered my paperwork sitting on the floor of his office, and took care of it with many apologies.

they, too, somehow managed to sell my old car already. i never quite figured that part out.

sounds like a bit of a pattern...?

good luck. i'm with the guy above- walk in while they're busy, with any relevant paperwork showing the status of your old loan- finance co, credit reports, anything and everything. don't talk to a sales grunt, find to a manager. don't start raising hell until you get him out on the floor. then, lay it out. LOUDLY.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

If the dealer finances the sale of your traded-in car, they never really have to produce a title since they're the lienholder.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sucks! I hope you get this fix Sam. goodluck bro!
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:47 AM

Ok guys, you need to relax! I am sure the reason the car wasn't paid off right away was a clerical error. **** happens! I am absolutely positive that they didn't pay it off on purpose. I work for a dealership and all kinds of stuff does happen, not on purpose. As far as the contract goes the finance person or salesman should have gone over it with you. Ultimately if you signed it there is really nothing you can do, I know you were fired up and wanting to get into you're new toy . You should have called the dealership and talked to the finance guy and talked about the no-payoff issue, before trashing them on the internet, just my 2 cents. Good luck! I am sure everything will get squared away.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:49 AM

Oh an I forgot to mention, they probably wholesaled you're car. It is absolutely legal to sell without a title, they have 30 days to deliver a title.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=KOEvo]

Stikiller check your bill of sale. Everything that they charge you for should be on there including the remainder of what you owed on your old car (if they did agree to pay it off). Everything is in writing. There shouldn't be any charges that "you're not aware of."

Last edited by Zeus; Mar 30, 2006 at 12:27 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

i did this is exactly what is typed on the contract

Price of Unit 33209

GAP ins. 695

Vehicle replacement 599

total price of vehicle 34503

less trade in 25200

taxable amount 9303

state sales tax 624.08

registraion fee 125

net pay off on trade in 22300

TOTAL 32501

so from that.;....the part where it says less trade in......doesn't that imply they are going to pay off my car? or no? and i don't understand, i mean why would the dealer NOT pay off my car for???? it makes no sense. why would i trade my car in to the dealership knowing they weren't going to pay it off....makes no sense. thanks for the help so far guys.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Warning for you both... if you guys have steel to work out with the devil... take it to PM.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

...and stikillller, I expect you talked to the dealer, and they refused you remedy before splattering them all over the net, right?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

i almost bought an 04 evo there last september... and they tried to pull the same garbage with me... to brad benson. i have heard way too mnay shady things about that dealership.

i would def go into the dealership and talk to someone; it is your credit we are talking about
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stikillller
hey guys the dealer i got my evo from [brad benson] did not pay off my old car and i got something in the mail telling me they are going to go through collections and whatnot, not this dealership is known for being THEIVES . They also scammed me for some other stuff on my contract for extra money that i did not notice till i got home. Now who can i report this to? This is messing up my credit so this isn't anything to be taken lightley. I want this dealership to pay because they have been fu*kin with me from the beginning, please tell me who i shouold call so they can be penalized heavily. Thanks
Yes the dealer messed up, but your should know to check with you bank to make sure it was taken care of.
You should have follwed up with your bank if you were some what responsible!
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fransevo
Ok guys, you need to relax! I am sure the reason the car wasn't paid off right away was a clerical error. **** happens! I am absolutely positive that they didn't pay it off on purpose. I work for a dealership and all kinds of stuff does happen, not on purpose. As far as the contract goes the finance person or salesman should have gone over it with you. Ultimately if you signed it there is really nothing you can do, I know you were fired up and wanting to get into you're new toy . You should have called the dealership and talked to the finance guy and talked about the no-payoff issue, before trashing them on the internet, just my 2 cents. Good luck! I am sure everything will get squared away.
In my situation too much " **** happened " from the dealership. It's good to see stuff like this out in the open so other fellow Evo owners can be cautious when they deal with a dealership. Remember it's us the customers that will get screwed if we are not on top of things. The dealership can promise you the moon to get you to buy a car, but when it's time to deliver it can be a different story.

Quick Reply: dealer did not pay off my old car !!!!!