Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Theft Issues?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2006, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theft Issues?

How is car theft for you Evo owners? I live in northern NJ where your modified Honda is constantly targeted. I'm considering purchasing an Evo, but I don't want to live the way I did with my ITR, ie never parking at the mall, movies, etc.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not too many people can afford an Evo so I would say evo are not primarly an target for thieves. Consider if you have an honda parked next to it, the honda would be the one thief go to.

Unless you got and nice set of blingy wheel then that's a whole different story.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

i doubt u will find any evo theft that wasnt flatbeded or had the keys......
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

I know that Subaru WRXs and STi's and Audi S4s all have a VERY high theft rate in the north NJ area. They are typically taken for 1 of 2 reasons:
1) Taken to be used to commit other crimes. This is more common than you might think. They are preferred because they are easy to steal and very fast. NJ police typically will not even chase them because the police know these cars can easily outrun a Crown Vic.
2) Stolen for parts. Seats, wheels, exhausts, intercoolers are the common parts taken because they are both very easy to take off and are high-value parts that are easy to sell quickly.

The Evo would seem to fit both categories 1 and 2. So even if it is not at the top of the theft list just yet, it appears to be exactly the kind of car a thief would want.

Do not let overconfidence in the Evo's Immobilizer system lull you into a false sense of security about your car. I am not familar with the exact innner workings of Mitsu's system. But similar Immobilzer systems found in Subarus and Hondas are EASILY bypassed in just a few minutes.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

i got my car broken in just 2 months ago... windows smash, navigational system stolen, greddy EBC ripped off dash... i live in west chicago.. im assumin the neighborhood isn't too good around here
Old Mar 31, 2006, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

I think vandalism would be a bigger occurance on Evo's, there are a lot of jealous people out there.