Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mods that affect reliability

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2006, 09:26 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods that affect reliability

I was wondering if there were any mods that would affect the reliability of an VIII
Old Mar 30, 2006, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Any time you start mod a car it will affect the reliability.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
I was wondering if there were any mods that would affect the reliability of an VIII
Getting the wrong gas(lesser oct than required)
misuse of NOS
misuse of MBC
Wrong turbo solenoid actuator

Those two are in my opinion the number one killer. Other stuff like full exhaust, cams or even alcohol kits might vary the iddle and make your car richer but it wouldn't hurt as much as MBC improperly set up

Carlos
Old Mar 30, 2006, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Wrong turbo solenoid actuator ?? whoa what is that? does it require boost fluid?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Oh yeah, I forgot. Try puting some Tein F 2"F drop .9" rear drop on a Evo 8 MR and you can say buy buy to your stock Bilteins, your front tires and if you wait too long you can also include a set of motor mounts.

It happened to me so no need to search.

Carlos
Old Mar 30, 2006, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kf6ytc
Wrong turbo solenoid actuator ?? whoa what is that? does it require boost fluid?
Woahhh, that is puting an aftermarket solenoid actuator that opens too late(overboost) In other words, there are some upgrade turbo solenoid actuators in the aftermarket world. You have to be aware some of them delay the aperture of the waste gate. minor changes on the length of the actuator rod could cause excesive overboost.

Overboost cost me 2 4G63 egines and two turbos on DSM's alone. So, yeah overboost is in my opinion number one killer wether is a loose hose, a rusty actuator rod, a clog boost line, a pinche boost line, a MBC faulty installation, a boost line loose/cut/unplug, etc, etc

my .2c

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Mar 30, 2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:01 PM
Account Disabled

Anything you do to a car will effect reliability.

IMHO, it is important to balance your goals and use of the car with your performance objective.

Once you reach a certain performance level the car should no longer be considered a form of reliable transportation . . . I think at 900 whp I have more than reached that level !
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
Pick the right parts and get it tuned right and you'll be surprised on how reliable the car will remain. All our sales guys, Dustin, Sean and Dave, have 400bhp Evos that they use for daily driving. My stock 911 has been less reliable. And it's been in the shop for the last 3 months waiting for some obscure transmission bearings from Sweeden. All this to save having to buy a new transmission for $11,000, which is what Porsche insists I do. Owning a modified EVO is a walk in the park by comparison. Tune it right and drive it like you stole it.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Shiv,

What Porsche are you refering to? the G50 and G64 tranny on the Porsches are bulletproof. The Carrera 4 ACD is very advance as well, only downside is the system is pressurized to 2500psi.

Also, on the Porsche AWD system(964's an up) if you go with a different tire profile from the front to the rear the car wouldn't run. It detect the minor variation of tire diameter.

Carlos
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Pick the right parts and get it tuned right and you'll be surprised on how reliable the car will remain. All our sales guys, Dustin, Sean and Dave, have 400bhp Evos that they use for daily driving. My stock 911 has been less reliable. And it's been in the shop for the last 3 months waiting for some obscure transmission bearings from Sweeden. All this to save having to buy a new transmission for $11,000, which is what Porsche insists I do. Owning a modified EVO is a walk in the park by comparison. Tune it right and drive it like you stole it.
Shiv,

By the way, I have very good friend of mine that works at Lancaster Porsche in Cambridge, UK. He is the senior Part manager of the dealer. If you ever need special parts from Europe, just let me know, this guys is very good friend of mine for many years. His name is Andy Webb(21 years working for the Porsche dealer). He got me the best prices in the past.

Just let me know..

Carlos
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Carlos-- your inbox is full!
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:39 AM
Account Disabled

Well I was thinking of reliability of a Warrtalon, Vishnu, Buschur stage kit. That's all. I was planning on going with a S1 or S2 Buschur kit and then some HKS cams and calling it a day.