Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why does the Evo8 no longer compete?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2005, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is more of a sports sponsorship issue than a car issue...

mitsubishi team hasn't fielded a team since 1999, probably some financial issues caused this problem. I don't even think they rallied with their Evo7 Rally concept car that came out in 2001. It also doesn't help the world's best driver, Tommi Mackinen, left the team in the late 90s as well.

Subaru has always had a team throughout this time. To my recollection they have been competitive but just not winning.

Last edited by mdosu; Aug 22, 2005 at 05:24 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

well i cant wait till gets back into WRC and i cant wait for Toyota to get back in it as well. I htink they are coming back in 07 or 08 with a AWD turbo corolla.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 08:42 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

If you guys watch WRC on Speed you can see that the main reason Mitsu doesn't do well is because of all mechanical problems and driver errors. On some stages, Mitsu actually had the fastest times which means car could be very competitive.
Similar for Subaru, they lost sh1tl0ad of time with problems when running through water puddles etc. plus Petter is a better driver than the Mitsu guy.
Peugeot/Citroen cars are superior because they had less issues and mated with a good driver they win races.
You can also see in Formula 1 how french cars started to dominate. They build good cars.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 12:55 PM

The Formula 1 results are tainted by constant rule changes, man they are screwing up F1. Eff French cars!
Old Aug 22, 2005, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Evos and STis still pwn Group N.

I wholeheartedly agree that Group A should be brought back. I remember the first time I saw an Ur-quattro coupe on the street in Germany ... I was like "OMG!!" ... and now, over 20 years later I own an indirect descendant in my Evo, and everytime I drive it, I'm still like "OMG!! What an incredible car!" and I thank my lucky stars for the WRC of yesteryear.

l8r)
Old Aug 22, 2005, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

i would buy a 2 door pocket evo
Old Aug 22, 2005, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Soon 2 B EVIL
well i cant wait till gets back into WRC and i cant wait for Toyota to get back in it as well. I htink they are coming back in 07 or 08 with a AWD turbo corolla.
Don't know about Toyota's future, but Mitsu is competing this year. They got a podium in Monte Carlo while using a less sophisticated AWD system than the other teams. Mitsu's biggest downfall is their drivers right now. Rovenpara is pretty good, and Galli has potential, but he's still young and makes mistakes. He crashed twice in the Rally Finland a couple of weeks ago.

They've definitely proven that the car is fast and competitive. A lot of their earlier low points finishes are due to team orders--finish in the points and don't wreck the car.

Things should get very interesting next year. Pugeot and Citroen are dropping out of WRC competition This means their drivers will probably be looking for new teams (I'd love to see Gronholm behind the wheel of a Lancer). Also, there will be a lot of rule changes intended to decrease the build/operation costs of the cars, which will hopefully get more manufacturers in the competition. Subaru has already done some testing of their new "stripped down" (relatively speaking) '06 car.

Go to www.wrc.com for videos and latest news.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm confused when i read posts in this thread talking about mitsu taking a break or not competing this year in wrc????
Old Aug 22, 2005, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hueman
I'm confused when i read posts in this thread talking about mitsu taking a break or not competing this year in wrc????
Me too. They quit in the middle of '01 I believe, and were out all of '02. But they began redevelopment in '03 and were testing in a few events in '04. In early '04, they said their three-year plan was to develop the '04 car by driving in a few events (which they did), have a competitive car for the full '05 season (which they've got), and to fight for the title in '06 (which they're in a great position to do).

They're competing, and doing fairly well for a team with a brand new car.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
and mitsu does well in other rallies.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

I feel good enough knowing out evos are homologated after one of the most dominate platforms in WRC history. Mitsu is not exploting the technology that other teams are using because of the new rule changes that go into effect. They may dominate WRC next year.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 04:44 PM
DCD
Evolving Member

Over here in NZ, any privateer runs an Evo or a WRX. They dominate the non WRC competitions.
I think it comes down to money. Subaru and Mitsi can't compete financilly compared to the big boys like ford. I don't know for sure but I would imagine the budgets behind those winning teams are huge.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by justchil
i would buy a 2 door pocket evo
You and me both. I saw a concept drawing of one a while back and was hoping they were going to make it. Here is a pick of their new sportback concept

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/articles/sportback.asp

Not what I had in mind
Old Aug 22, 2005, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hueman
Look at the dates on the first posts. This is an old thread.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Soon 2 B EVIL
Are they talking about letting Toyota back in