Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why does the Evo8 no longer compete?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2005, 01:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Mitsubishi still has EVO VIII in the Japan Rally championship and I believe they won the 03 or 04 title. (title may have been won w/ a VII if it was in 03)
Old Aug 23, 2005, 02:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll chime in on this old-*** thread. WRC doesn't have homologation rules anymore, so they are all purpose-built race cars with no ties to their roadgoing cousins aside from the bodywork.

Production-based rally like Group-N is where you should be looking for real-world results from actual roadgoing cars turned rally monsters.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 02:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy 2003 brought back from the dead thread!
Old Aug 24, 2005, 02:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by machron1
I'll chime in on this old-*** thread. WRC doesn't have homologation rules anymore, so they are all purpose-built race cars with no ties to their roadgoing cousins aside from the bodywork.
That's why I don't understand when people get so bent out of shape about the Lancer having 4 doors and being a sedan and the others coupes. Since they are purpose built cars with tube chassis, it isn't like they carry that much more weight, or really are that much bigger, no? I don't agree with the no ties part, though - not completely. There is a 4G63 block way down at the bottom of the engines in the WRC cars.

PSA (Peugeot/Citroen - same company) currently occupies 1 & 2 in WRC manufacturers's points. They have a tremendous amount of money in their racing budgets. Much more then both Mitsubishi and Subaru, they can R&D and buy themselves trophies and championships. They are a much bigger car company period. It is going to be tougher for smaller teams like Mitsu and Subi to get back on top, if ever. But hey, at least we're building SUV's for them. Maybe some WRC technology will be given as a reward and Mitsu can be in third place.

Last edited by GPTourer; Aug 24, 2005 at 03:17 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GPTourer
Since they are purpose built cars with tube chassis, it isn't like they carry that much more weight, or really are that much bigger, no?
That hasn't been allowed since grp.B in the 80's IIRC?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh okay, so it is the steel unibody and panels. But with it being totally stripped with just a cage welded in and carbon fibrer and aluminum used extensively, how much more or less could one weigh over the other?