Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo is limited???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2003, 02:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, it's a salesman tactic but his manager could have been telling them that and they didnt know better.

The WRX when it first came out was supposed to be a "limited" production of 10k and it sold 18k at the end of the year.

Dont worry that you cant get an Evo because they are here to stay. There are also other options like the Impreza STi, the future Mitsu Colt Evo, Skyline (but it costs a lot more).
Old Apr 8, 2003, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by blackevoVII
Ive heard through the grapevine that this car is no longer limited edition. Mitsu will make as many as there are buyers.
So, does that Grapevine happen to be Sport Compact Car Mag? They are the only source that said the Evo is NOT limited in production.

EVERY other source, in cluding every other magazine, every salesperson, every salesmanager, every website, and even the President of MM in the US stated that the production of this car will be limited.

So which do you believe? SCC, or every other source?

We have also heard that the factory that builds the Evo for the whole world(partially by hand and on a slowed production line), does not have much in the way of excess capacity. ie, they can't just increase the production of the car at the plant because us Americans want 1000 extra cars.

I think the people who are wishing the car is not limited in production are the same people who just can't get their hands on an Evo at a good price yet. They are hoping and wishing that over time, these cars will still be available to them, and that through increased production numbers, their bargaining position will be improved.

I'm sure Evo's will be available for most of the year for 2 reasons.

1. Cars from the first shipment are still sitting in some dealerships due to price gouging and other economic factors.

2. All the cars for 2003 are not preordered like dealerships would like you to believe.

You will probably have to do your homework to get an Evo at a good price this year. They won't be hanging around lots for too long...and they won't be filling the lots with Evos either. But they will be available for purchase somewhere at a dealership.

But just don't bet on the (assumed by some) "fact" that it is no longer a limited production vehicle.

SC~
Old Apr 8, 2003, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by TrippinFlip214
The EVO is NOT a limited production car. announced this a few months ago.

is trying to bank on the EVO8.
Produce a press release. Or produce a release of some sort that shows the Evo is NOT limited in production

The SCC article does not count.....they are factually incorrect in their articles fairly often....and they state no actual source for their info.

If you can't produce anything, your statement will stand as BS.

SC~
Old Apr 8, 2003, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

I have not yet been informed of the true information on future evos to come (6speed, ayc, etc). I personally dont care how many evos they make. Naturally, no matter how many they make, you still have the expense factor. Not everyone is going to go and spend 30k or more on a car.

And does it really matter if it is limited. Get over it people. Buy the car because of its capabilities, and because you like it, not because you are going to be another "look at me, Im an idiot buying a car because no one else has it".

Last edited by lancealott; Apr 8, 2003 at 12:22 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 12:35 PM

Man!!! Just hoping the the 6 speed tranny and or the computer control LSD becomes available as an option. By the way I had a chance to run against a grey Evo8 from a roll and that sucka was fast for stock... Don't know if its some one on this list but i missed third he he he so you win... (it was in Westminster, Ca on the 405 North. I was heading back to San Jose) Peace
Old Apr 8, 2003, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by lancealott
And does it really matter if it is limited. Get over it people. Buy the car because of its capabilities, and because you like it, not because you are going to be another "look at me, Im an idiot buying a car because no one else has it".
i believe some people care if the evo is limit because maybe they can't get the car right now or they don't have that much money to buy the car(i am one of those people), also maybe someone just wait for the price on evo to drop, and for most people who buy evo is not just for showing off purpose, most of people buy the car because they love the car(at least i am one of them) so don't just assume people just want to buy ev to show off and by the way not every body is as rich as you are. Nice car cost money!!!
Old Apr 8, 2003, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

there is gonna be sevedrla production years of USDM Evos so if u don't get one this year they will be around for another few years
Old Apr 8, 2003, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Let's make room for a few facts.

6,500 is not "the real number". That is a rumor printed in one publication from an unnamed source which still somehow manages to be taken as gospel by some. The President of North America announced how many cars will come to the U.S. this year - 4,600 - and there has been no change in that number. Period.

Also, 556 is the total number of RDR's (Retail Delivery Reports) for March. That means the number of cars delivered to customers, not the number of cars delivered to dealers.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

I have to agree with Lancealott, there is a class of people this car was intended for. The suspension is too tight for the average everyday sports sedan family, too expensive for the majority of young people, limited interior comfort for the IS300, BMW, etc. group, and the list goes on. Most cars you give up something to get something so in retrospect you could say that the EVO was brought over for performance enthusists and possiblly grabbing a few customers from similiar classes of cars while it's here. The style, handling, power, and price tag that goes along with the EVO, makes up a very very small margin of the automobile customer clientel. From a different angle, you would think Mitsu needed something to fill the gap in their line-up to be competative with everyone else's. The end result, when this class of people have bought their EVO, STI, 350Z, etc. then where is the demand? How does the car evolve then? Maybe thats why they call it the "Evolution". Seriously, I don't believe this class of consumers is a money maker for Mitsu especialy to over-stock their lots with an unlimited amount of cars (this would drive the EVO's 30k price down). It probably will be made based on some supply and demand fromula, and in my opinion, won't be alot. Just look at Europe's production numbers, remember it began their (not a lot). I read that the UK is only getting 1000 this year. 2c.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Precisely. The Evolution is never going to have a mass-market appeal, not even a fairly modest one like the WRX - which is really a very different beast indeed. 4,600 units is probably spot-on for this type of car.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

hey mark...i didn't say they would bring 6500...thats the max they can build from what i have read

i am stuck with my current car any way so i will be on the next production year anyway
Old Apr 8, 2003, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

oh yeah Mark...u would know...how many years of Evo production have they planed so far? or is that undecided?

thanks for your info man
Old Apr 8, 2003, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Longfury
oh yeah Mark...u would know...how many years of Evo production have they planed so far? or is that undecided?

thanks for your info man
Years????? have not even said if the Evo will be back for 2004 yet, though I suspect it will.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

thats what i was wondering....i hope it is....i can't get one till 2004
Old Apr 9, 2003, 12:06 PM

can any body post any offical announcement about whether the evo is limited production or not, because some people say this, and some people say that~~i am very confused and don't know which to believed, so please!!!