Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Whats with all these high hp cars....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea rwd is huge advantage, when you have 3000+ hp. But these cars are not making more then a 1000. There has to be a reason why this is happening. I mean, am i just being nutz? Or does the ams evo seem to get off the line kinda slow? I know it has the hp, but off the line didnt look to hot.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Since RWD seems to have an advantage over AWD, would it be theoretically possible to make a drivetrain that operates as AWD off the line for initial traction, and then switch to RWD for the rest? Or am I just retarded?
Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RWD has the advantage, because with the high power and weight transfer, they pull the front wheels and plant the slicks even harder. You can't put that big a slick on an AWD car and heat them up like you can on a 2WD car. I don't see why you want to start off in AWD then switch to RWD down the line, looks like to me it would be better to start off in RWD/AWD, then switch to FWD at the top for the lowest of drivetrain losses, since FWD tends to trap higher. But you'd still be carrying around all that extra weight.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by conphuzed
Maybe because it's associated with rice...somehow?
if thats the only reason -then people are missing out-imo
Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Even with a 100 hp disadvantage, the 900 hp awd car would win the race.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Ahh, I see. That makes sense, thanks. Don't really know all the mechanics of everything involved with drag.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RWD cars have better traction on those HIGH hp applications. the suspension and tires you can put on a RWD car exceed anything that can be done with AWD. You can't put 4 huge slicks on a 1000whp evo and pull 1.30 60' times like you can a rwd car.

awd is an advantage at lower power levels, maybe 400whp and below. and it also has to do with the engine setup, a 2.0 turbo WILL NOT come out of the hole like a 5.7L NA car, just won't do it.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Shep doesnt have a prob gettin off the line :-)
Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Disadvantages of AWD:
higher parasitic drivetrain loss
extra weight
front wheels have less traction off launch (weight transfers to rear wheels)
reliability (more shock to the drivetrain tends to break things)

Advtanges: way better traction than FWD or RWD.

I think the only reason why there aren't awd cars in the 5 or 6 second (maybe there is and I'm just ignorant) range, is because it is currently too expensive to develop a drivetrain to withstand the abuse of a high horsepower engine (especially ones with alot of low end torque which tends to introduce alot of shock). Everything listed as a disadvantage for awd drivetrains can be lessened through engineering (lighter/stronger materials, better suspensions, better lubricants to reduce frictional coefficients, etc.). However, all of this takes money. As it stands, we are still better off running our primitive redneck rear wheel drive contraptions down the straightaway =)
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

There is way more development in RWD drag racing, so I wouldn't say it is impossible for there ever to be a much faster AWD car. There is a Skyline in Japan that holds the record, but I think Shep may have beaten it at 7.9. However, I thought the Skyline did the 0-400m at 7.3 or something.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Shep doesnt have a prob gettin off the line :-)
You got that right.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mitchubishi
^^^From the launch ONLY...eventually the RWD will catch up and pass because their is less power lost through the drivetrain.

i thought the evo only lose's 18%....most other cars are 20-25%, correct?
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
i thought the evo only lose's 18%....most other cars are 20-25%, correct?
Thats incorrect, who told you that? Most RWD cars are 18%. If anything the EVO is 22-25% drivetrain loss
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

^^^Thank you sir^^^
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:33 PM

nitrous...

Originally Posted by triple6
. Plus alot of the evo guys HATE nitrous

why???

I think that it depends on your driving style and in which way you want to achieve your power. He says a lot of the Evo Guy hate nitrous...well theres a simple explanation to that. With nitrous, in a way you rely on a separate source to achieve power. It is different than having the car "drive" faster when you depress the pedal with your foot. The car itself making its own power with the right elements is a creative and an awesome phenomenon (sp?)....spraying a chemical into the cylinders to create more power is kind of tacky in a way..ricey maybe? It just adds an element of fakeness to the speed of the car. Anybody can throw a 50 shot on there car it doesnt take any skill to do that. Nitrous in an old oldsmobile (nothing against oldsmobiles ) will make it way faster intantly with the push of a button. Tuning a car however is more complex and can be tailored to your style or needs. It is much safer, requires more skill, doesnt require the push of the a button to be quicker. You can go a million different combinations with different mods and work to the tubo/engine/drivetrain...Modding actually makes the car itself more powerfull.....but hey it can be cool to purge the **** out of it at a light when lining up with some mustang ..... hey if you like the juice then cool, in my opinion other mods with the same money are more fun, effective and safe but its all a matter of preference. A matter of opinion!!!

Quick Reply: Whats with all these high hp cars....