Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Death of the EVO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2006, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death of the EVO

I have been thinking about this for a while, so it's time for the rant. Mitsubishi dropped out of WRC this year. The EVO IX goes out of production this August, so that sometime this fall, definitely by the end of this year, there will be no more new EVOs in the U.S.A. The EVO X is a year-and-a-half at least, maybe 2 years away. It will be 300 lbs. heavier and has a DSG automanual gearbox. The extra 20-30 hp won't make up for the difference in weight. It will be more expensive, as Mitsu is trying to compete in the market with the M3.

It's a sad state of affairs, and it's going to hit this community like a ton of bricks. I thought about buying a IX MR in the next few months so I can have another EVO to drive on the street (and to track of course), but I don't think I will. I am in a lease on an '04 Audi S4 that ends in Dec. of next year. There probably won't be an EVO available then. So who benefits from all this? Subaru. The STi will be on the market then. It will better than it is now, and Subie won't leave the market like Mitsu. Sucks, don't it?

Old Mar 31, 2006, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm
Old Mar 31, 2006, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

do what you want
Old Mar 31, 2006, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually not many people like the new frontend of the STi so ....most people will still have to choose between the used EVO 8/9 or the 04-05 Sti
Old Mar 31, 2006, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

From all that I've been reading on here, I wouldn't be surprised if you're completely right. It definitely makes me want to get my hands on an Evo IX before they're all gone.

I think the bottom line is that it's much easier for Mitsu to screw up the Evo (or not make it at all), than it is to continue to make it better at a reasonable price.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

i think subaru will begin to shift gears as well then. If people are truly attracted to the EVO (name, legacy, etc) then they will stick with it, and Subaru might too build an "M3" type competing car with some "luxuries"

its hard to say which way the market is going..

Had anyone asked me 2 years ago, I would have said another 1990-1997 Horsepower war. But it looks like with gas going where its going, and with cars gettin more and more expensive, people want some luxury for 32k+ cars, so why not make it a little more, appeal to both crowds and have luxury and "performance"

Its sad to say, i dont care fore the X, but as cars come out, they grow on us anyways. The evo wasnt always as pretty as it was. Maybe there will be the birth of a new evolutionary car.

Or, the other side. What goes up, must come down - or - All good things must come to an end.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

you know....every time the Evo jumps to a new platform people make the same complaints. Maybe you should wait till the X comes out before making any judjements.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 03:57 AM
Evolved Member

I see an increase in the price of a used Evo (following August, if what you say is correct).
Old Apr 1, 2006, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think its good.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Evolved Monkey
you know....every time the Evo jumps to a new platform people make the same complaints. Maybe you should wait till the X comes out before making any judjements.
Thank you.

Don't be so dramatic. When they were in the WRC they were doing poorly, and it had no effect on the cars we drive. Why not actually wait until the car is out before passing judgement?
Old Apr 1, 2006, 08:11 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I think you're best holding judgement, till all the cards are played.

The Evo X, albeit, possibly heavier, will out-handle, out-accelerate the current Evo.

There will also be an Evo 9.5 SE available as a gap filler. It'll have bits from the MR, minus the 6-speed. That will be available in Dec.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Well Mitsubishi is not doing to well as a whole. But I do see your point and I do see Mitsubishi screwing up another great car. Look at when Mitsubishi killed the dsm platform. Running a turbocharged all wheel drive vehicle for 8 years and then turning around throwing a N/A v6 in there on a fwd platform and the eclipse has got progressively worse, look at it now.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:03 AM

get it b4 is gone..I did
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolved Monkey
+100000000000000000000000000000000000000
Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
Well Mitsubishi is not doing to well as a whole. But I do see your point and I do see Mitsubishi screwing up another great car. Look at when Mitsubishi killed the dsm platform. Running a turbocharged all wheel drive vehicle for 8 years and then turning around throwing a N/A v6 in there on a fwd platform and the eclipse has got progressively worse, look at it now.
they did that cus they were planning on bringing the evo, what would be the point of them selling both? it doesnt make sense form a marketing point of view