Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

K&N Brerather Filter questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:25 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile K&N Brerather Filter questions

Hi, wat are the points of running the Brerather Filter? and wat are the benefits and harms of it? any help will be appreciated, thanx
Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

benefit is you won't have any blowby oil going back INTO your turbo, intercooler pipes and intercooler clogging them up.

disadvantage is it causes more polution i guess, it's illegal here in cali, but that doesnt stop me
Old Apr 2, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, so whats the big difference between a breather filter and an oil catch can then?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 02:42 PM
Account Disabled

my question is that does it effect the performance of the car? like would it cause the car to run rich or lean? and if it dont recirculate the air back into the intake, wouldnt ur engine compartment be dirty due to the oil vapor now been dump out of the head? and also, i dont need to get the car tuned after adding the breather filter do i?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

I've been looking into this as well. If it will stop the blow by getting into the intercooler and intake system, i'm all for buying one.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

No noticable ammount of oil can be seen coming out of the beather filter, it doesnt change your air fuel ratio....... Catch can's are a scam pretty much, it allows you to recirc the air back into the intake (like stock) but it removes any oil. Worthless mod if you ask me.

my .02
Old Apr 2, 2006, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Make your own catch can. Cheap, easy, less than $10 actually. Go to wal-mart and get a air/water seperater (I think that's what it is) for an air compressor, take out the foam insert, connect vacuum lines, and BAMMO!
Old Apr 2, 2006, 04:36 PM
Account Disabled

so if i installl the breather filter, it wont mess with my performance at all m i correct?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

I have a catch can and I don't have it recirculating back into intake. Just the one hose from valve cover to can. It looks good and it gets the job done.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know about this car, but in my last car vacuum was necessary, therefore a breather filter wouldn't be beneficial. That's the reason for the catch can. Although I can't seem to remember the reasoning behind needing to keep the vacuum, but yeah, I wouldn't want to get rid of it myself.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by occultworks
I don't know about this car, but in my last car vacuum was necessary, therefore a breather filter wouldn't be beneficial. That's the reason for the catch can. Although I can't seem to remember the reasoning behind needing to keep the vacuum, but yeah, I wouldn't want to get rid of it myself.
i don't think you need vacuum, otherwise buschurs intake pipes that have no nipple on them to connect the blowby hose wouldn't be a very good seller. also, on his site, it says to use the K&N breather filter if using his MAF pipe.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

You dont need to have it hooked to vacuum. It works just fine without it.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

If you're worried about sludge soaking the breather (it can happen) run a long (2 ft or less) hose to the filter and let the hose fold or bend at a point lower than the filter and crankcase vent. Then the goo will "catch" in the bottom of the hose. You can empty it like a catch can. It takes forever to build up anyway. If you actually filled up a can I'd be surprised. Use a spiffy braided line and it can actually look clean. If nothing else its functional. When turbo trix did my AEM speed density conversion, they just hooked up an 8 inch long open drain hose. It got a bit messy so I went with my ghetto breather line thing.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Good deal, no vacuum. Got it. Hmm, I could still use my clear catch in between the breather filter and head. No sludge!