Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Catalytic Converter Laws/Fines...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2006, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic Converter Laws/Fines...

Anyone have a real answer to this...?

What are the fines (Max) if you are pulled over without a cat and you are caught? Also, What re the fines if you are a car dealership and you knowingly sell a car with a cat? JW b/c I bought a car in PA and before I went, I asked if the car had a cat on it. I was told it did, but it doesn't.. This is just one of many things that anger me.. We'll leave it at that, becasue I don't know if hte issue will be resolved.

The big thing is, I have to get the car through CT inspections, and I asked before I drive down if there was a cat on the car, I figurd I could trust such a simple answer.. I was told there was... THERE ISNT THOUGH!

What is the actual ammount they and I can be fined for this? I'm obviusly keeping the car off the road right now, I would just like to know. I heard $100k fine Dealer, $10k me.. Is this fact, if not, what is!?

Thanks.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you bought the car from a private owner, I think it is just caveat emptor, or whatever, buyer beware - its on you to make it road legal. A dealer couldn't knowingly sell a car without the proper smog equipment in place. I can't remember if it is $500, or $5000 fine. PRobably the latter.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Buy a stock cat or high flow cat and swap it out before inspection. Sorry to hear about the bad deal.

I live in CT. Why do you need an inspection? I thought that the inspection was only for older cars...
Old Apr 2, 2006, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chmodlf
Buy a stock cat or high flow cat and swap it out before inspection. Sorry to hear about the bad deal.

I live in CT. Why do you need an inspection? I thought that the inspection was only for older cars...
You may be right, however, I know for sure I need to go through emissions. I live in CT as well. Eitherway, the Cat is the least ofg my worries with the car they sold me, however, I want to know what they are liable for if they get caught. They are a dealer, and I did ask before I drove down for the car.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

BUMP for more info.. anyone else hear different on what the fines are?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 07:33 PM
Account Disabled

None of this makes sense. If the car was manufatured in the last 5 years you're not required to pass a smog check for the transfer of title. However, if for some reason CT has seceeded from the Union and thereby falls outside of these rules, it would still be the seller that needs to get the car smogged anyways. Is there something you're not telling us?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Did you buy the car from a franchised dealership or a sled lot? Is there a test pipe on the car? Does it have a aftermarket downpipe?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Consider yourself warned...

Last edited by Zeus; Apr 9, 2006 at 06:45 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

cops here in Kalifornia will on occasion litterally look under your car to see if you have a cat. My buddy has been stopped TWICE by CHP officers and they both checked his WRX.

I'm not sure what the fine is, but i know its a hell of a lot more than a noise ticket ($400 in LA County).

Last edited by Zeus; Apr 9, 2006 at 06:46 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

In CT you need to go through emissions if you buy a car out of state. The car has full 3" turbo-back with test pipe.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

so just go buy a 3"high flow cat and call it a day or take the drive up to the dealer and have them install one for you. your choice.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

D0h.... you'll never pass with a test pipe. I'd even think a high flow cat may be an issue with many states.

My window sticker for my new IX showed my cars smog index as being VERY high. I think it was a 1.0. Which is more than most SUV's.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Right... I understand what I need to do, etc.. The question is still at hand though. Does anyone know the MAX fine a dealership can recieved for knowingly selling a car without a cat? Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2006, 01:57 AM
Evolving Member

from the EPAs website:

up to 2,500 per voilation for individuals, service or repair shops, and fleet operators...
25,000 for new car dealers per violation...

this also was on the clean air act of '88.. which i'm not sure if there is stiffer fines these days.

HTH
Old Apr 3, 2006, 02:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
blackmail the ****ers....get free maintnence or something

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter Laws/Fines...