Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Downpipe rattle

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2006, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downpipe rattle

So i have went through about 4 different downpipes, and the damn things still lay on the bar even with the custom bend!!!! I have even tried to do some custom bending, but it's just not going my way. Anyone have any suggestion about like spacers, or something i can put in between the downpipe and the crossbar to stop the rattle??? It only happens when i'm coming down from WOT, or when i rev it up past about 4K rpms. Anything will help!!!
Old Apr 2, 2006, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

I have the rmr x brace that comes with their downpipe and i have never had that problem.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you might be able to call buschur racing and get some spacers since they ship them with their downpipe.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:01 PM

most aftermarket braces are designed to clear an aftermarket DP. alternatively you can just remove the bar, sacrificing some rigidity, or, rather than just bend it, cut a notch in it as well, this worked for me with a 3" DP.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bdub25,

I must agree with you bro. My Woks Downpipe made a 1/8-1/4 inche cut directly into my trasnfer case housing, I found that out last month when they were installing my clutch.

This is not new to me because when i first installed the DP I already posted the issue about 18 months ago.

On the other note, I have the same issue on my Evo 9 and the Megan racing Downpipe. The flexi part touches the transfer case as well and sometimes makes noises/rattles when going through bumps.

This is a call for vendors and manufacturers to put up a good product.
I could take a picture and post it but I don't want to hurt vendors sales. I can live with small rattle noises once in a while.

My worry is the 1/8- 1/4 inche cut on my transfer case.

Carlos
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

that would worry me as well. i bet everyone's wondering how thick the transfer case shell is now!
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am not kidding you. I am afraid that if I post a pic it would hurt some vendors but I think I should custom fix it myself. I believe the heat from the Downpipe play a major factor.

In some way it does not surprise me that many downpipes really don't fit 100%, the clearances are minimal. I am not worry about the performance, I am worry about the fitting(touching transfer case and being too close to my oil pan) and rattling.

Carlos
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Yea, that's a good point. The performance isnt an issue to me anymore. I'd rather have a nice safe fit with no worries. I will try to get a video of the rattle and post it on here because it just seems like it gets worse and worse as time goes on. I dont want to buy another downpipe either!! I'm on my 4th!!
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

that's why i've been through 2 downpipes and just said screw it and put the stocker with a test pipe and a cat-back back on! no rattles anymore!
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get any JDM 2.75" dp and be done with it It clears tie-bar, won't hit your transfer case, and it will make some power/torque.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:27 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Speed Element
Get any JDM 2.75" dp and be done with it It clears tie-bar, won't hit your transfer case, and it will make some power/torque.
Where can we find the JDM 2.75" dp? And how much do they go for?
Old Apr 3, 2006, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by static63
I have the rmr x brace that comes with their downpipe and i have never had that problem.
I am going to buy one of those in the within the next couple of weeks. I get a little bit of rattle when I first start the car, but after that there is nothing. I used some spacers on the stock braces for now.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Buschur provided spacers with my TBE. No rattles and 3" all the way through. You only need about 0.5" more clearance. It would be worth it to just give them a call and save yourself a lot of frustration.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WagsEvo
Buschur provided spacers with my TBE. No rattles and 3" all the way through. You only need about 0.5" more clearance. It would be worth it to just give them a call and save yourself a lot of frustration.
Those are the spacers that I used, being that I have the Buschur exhaust. I still get a little bit of rattle, though not as much as I did before I used the spacers.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

I have a JIC DP with no rattles and some spacers on the cross bars. Clears the TC just fine. It is also the reason my Cusco Ver1 bar is not installed yet....do I crush the DP to clear it? Havent decided yet.

Quick Reply: Downpipe rattle