Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HELP! Car won't start!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2006, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! Car won't start!

For some reason my car isn't starting! When I turn the key in the ignition, the radio will go on, but then nothing. Not even the sound of the engine trying to turn over. I tried to turn the key and hold it for a few seconds, but still nothing, and then I noticed white smoke coming out from under my hood! I rushed over and popped the hood, and it looks like the smoke was coming somewhere from the upper driver's side of the engine bay, but I couldn't isolate it completely because the smoke quickly stopped.

What could be happening??? I have a Walbro fuel pump installed, could it be that??? Please help! I'm stuck here at work until I can get my car going and I don't really want to be here all night
Old Apr 3, 2006, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

do you hear the car make the purge noice when you turn the key?
Old Apr 3, 2006, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It could simply just be a fuse. There are 2 places to check to check fuses, one is in the engine bay close to the battery the other is below the steering wheel next to the dimmer dial. If none of the fuses are blown it could be the starter, the coilpacks, the spark plug wire ... Goodluck!
Old Apr 3, 2006, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Did you try to jump the car.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

ya, check to see if the fuel pump is coming on. If not then that is your problem, cause if it is not working correctly you will get nothing, literally, when you try and crank it over. You just installed a walbro, have you drivin it since? if not check, check to make sure it's installed correctly, but I am sure you have already done that. In the evo manual cd, there is a good troubleshooting guide for the fuel pump, just do a search in the table of contents.

Also, do you have an alarm hooked up? sometimes if those are not working properly, it can prevent turning over the engine like in your case.

I had a different problem than you way back as my car would crank over fine, but no fuel pump and no spark. turned out to be a bad ecu, but I took me forever, trying to find that out. (and a lot of money).

hope it goes well, sorry to hear, i feel for you.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:23 AM

Well, by giving the car quite a bit of gas before turning the ignition, I got it to start no problem, so I'm assuming this is a problem with the fuel pump? How can I fix it?

And what was that smoke coming out of my engine bay? That's what I think worries me the most right now....

Thanks for all the help guys!