Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

BOV review on IX.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2006, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BOV review on IX.

Well first off I know bov's are a no no but I had to try it anyway. My buddy took off his turbosmart dual port bov and replaced it with the hks valve, he just gave me the turbosmart so I put it in for laughs.

Install:
The install was pretty straight forward and installed it in about 20min, just used some basic tools.

Test drive/ first impressions:
I started the car and everything ran smooth so I drove it out of my nieghborhood, everything was still running/idleing smooth. I took it out on the open road for some WOT runs. I punched it in 3rd gear and glanced at my gauge, it read 20ish psi, then I shifted.......lol wow what a noise. So I did a few WOT runs just like that and it drove just fine, it vented and sounded great. I had no stalling or rough idles so I decided to keep it on for a week.

One week with bov installed:
Well I have had the bov for the entire work week commuting to work and had some driveability issues. At part throttle and anything under 10psi of boost I would experience either compressor surge or some bucking. I seems to run just fine on WOT and high boost runs. Still idles smooth without any stalling.

Final impressions:
Although it was fun running this bov the noise started to annoy me by weeks end and the low end drivability was driving me crazy. I put the stock bpv back on and it drives good again on part throttle/ low boost situations. Overall I think the turbosmart dual port is a great bov but it's better suited for a high horse power/high boost application. I decided to keep the bov cause I will need it in the future when I get my 57trim turbo installed, untill then I'm going to stick with the stock IX bov. Flame if you must.

Last edited by GgreyEVOIX; Apr 3, 2006 at 02:34 PM.