Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

US EVO not to be turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2002, 03:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation US EVO not to be turbo?

I spoke with the dealers at Browning Mitsubishi and they said that the 2003 Evolution will not come equiped with turbo because of new laws that were implemented in California which makes it illegal?! He then stated that the new Eclipses don't even come in turbo anymore (The GST were not produced). But the good news is that it will still be pulling around 270HP.

Last edited by plastikpyro; Feb 16, 2002 at 04:15 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2002, 03:51 AM

I didnt know Mitsu ever made any TT Evos.. you sure your dealers not on crack?
Old Feb 16, 2002, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

Oops, I meant to type in turbo Damn Fruedian Slip! I was reading an article in Import Tuner on a Twin Turbo Supra earlier and it kinda stuck in my mind. (I will edit the previous message). But I think he was on crack though.
Old Feb 16, 2002, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

Re: US EVO not to be turbo?

Originally posted by plastikpyro
I spoke with the dealers at Browning Mitsubishi and they said that the 2003 Evolution will not have twin turbo
They are absolutely correct! The 2003 Evolution will not have twin turbos.........but then again they never did. Don't worry. One turbo is more then enough (provided they keep the titanium/aluminum turbos used in the Japanese spec RS2)
Old Feb 16, 2002, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

Never mind my last post then. You just beat me by a few minutes
Old Feb 16, 2002, 04:37 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, wait a minute, who beat the dealer with the stupid stick?
huh?
speak up?
Because that is some serious ****, unless the Evo will start carrying a V6 under the hood, very difficult, almost impossible to get a 4 banger up to 270 HP, displacement my ***. I don't want an engine half the size of the car.
It will have Turbo!
Old Feb 16, 2002, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

You show me an Evo without a turbo, and I'll show you a Cedia. Hehehe...I really doubt that there will be a 6-cyl Evo...it just wouldn't make sense.
Old Feb 16, 2002, 06:35 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go grab a stupid stick and beat your dealership person there. Evo is a world rally car so it has to have 2liters. The non turbo version is the OZ rally.

Of course the evo has a turbo! Why do you think mitsubishi is saying they need time to fit the intercooler to pass 5mph bumper!

Oh yeah note that the subaru WRX is a 2 liter TURBO selling in California.
Old Feb 16, 2002, 09:19 AM

No turbos in California, thats the first I have heard of that. I am going to go make a citizen's arrest at my nearest Subaru dealership.
Old Feb 16, 2002, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the Scoop on the turbo law. I will head out first thing in the morning to the VW, Subaru, Audi, Porsche, SAAB and Volvo dealers to break the news. I hope this wont cause too much of a problem for the dealers. They will probably sell their remaining turbo models to miss-informed customers who will be unable to register their cars. I think that is great that Mitsubishi is now able to squeeze 270 hp out of a normally aspirated 4g63 motor. Makes the S2000 2.0 seem down right pale in comparison. What little turbo lag we had in the past will now be completely gone! No more boost leaks, high underhood temps, damaged front mounts. Just pure, HP in the truest sense.

Matt
Old Feb 16, 2002, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Either way, turbo or no turbo I could care less. The EVO is gonna carry a hefty price tag of around 30 G'z. My OZ Lancer will be pushin turbo in less then a month. $3500 dollars for a turbo kit from RRE. $400 for custom EVO VII hood job and $400 for the rear spoiler from RMR. $600 for a set of Sparco seats. I'll come out $10,000 under the sticker price of the EVO.
Old Feb 16, 2002, 10:27 PM

oh yea...

Originally posted by plastikpyro
Either way, turbo or no turbo I could care less. The EVO is gonna carry a hefty price tag of around 30 G'z. My OZ Lancer will be pushin turbo in less then a month. $3500 dollars for a turbo kit from RRE. $400 for custom EVO VII hood job and $400 for the rear spoiler from RMR. $600 for a set of Sparco seats. I'll come out $10,000 under the sticker price of the EVO.
and you'll still get spanked by my Integra type-R. Hell, I'll let the wife drive.

120hp stock FF motor
add Turbo kit (6-7 psi max on stock block)
IF it's a decent size turbo, MAYBE 60hp. That's 180 at the crank.
and if you think that's all you need ($3500 kit), than you are sorely mistaken. To do it correctly...Forged piston, forged rods, programmable ECU, LArger injectors, Adjutable FPR, Exhuast, Boost controller, turbo timer, etc.....And let's not forget about LABOR.

So by the time you do all that, you'll have $30k in the car...and will still get smoked by a stock EVO. hmmmmm. Somebody should have just got an EVO...

my .02
Charles
Old Feb 16, 2002, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Do I sense hate in your reply? What ever happened to friendly forums these days. Full of immature people who can't carry normal conversation without breaking into brawl? If your paying well over 30G'z for:
"Forged piston, forged rods, programmable ECU, LArger injectors, Adjutable FPR, Exhuast, Boost controller, turbo timer, etc.....And let's not forget about LABOR." then you're paying too much. Who ever said anything about paying retail.
I will still be well under sticker price my friend and I'll be zippin through Willow Springs and Ortega Highway for a good year and a half instead of waiting for the EVO 8 to come out to the US. As for "LABOR" its good to have friends who are mechanics in the import scene. So chillax man, don't worry so much about me. If your wife needs a car to drive she can roll in mine.
Old Feb 16, 2002, 11:09 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think all he's implying is that don't do it. It evo is almost an entirely different car from the lancer OZ. The EVo has a wider track different suspention. AWD with yaw control. Brembo brakes. and pushed out fender wall. What i realize at the auto show is that the evo body shape is different. Like the rear quarters. side quarter windows and etc...

Is it worth having a 180hp with add-on's? How about the longevity of the engine? Remmeber if you spend upward of 23k you might as well purchased the subaru wrx.

My brother in law purchased one and add turboxs stage 2 kit (298hp) for 1700 and then added an up pipe pushing it above 300+hp. I can tell you one thing it's faster then my chipped M3 with ecis intake. It might just be cheaper to get a rex then to mod a lancer oz. Just something to think about.
Old Feb 17, 2002, 02:57 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the reply GTR but theres no need to defend that dude. Mr. "and you'll still get spanked by my Integra type-R. Hell, I'll let the wife drive."
You have a valid point in regards to the REX. That ride would've been my first choice but my heart and passion belongs to the Lancer. Years of waiting for it to hit US soil finally made me snap. If Mitsubishi wants to give us the Cedia Lancer instead of the EVO VII, I'll take it. Even though it has been de-tuned to Honda Civic status, its still a Lancer nonetheless. I'd rather roll in a 190 HP tricked out Turbo'd Lancer then a WRX anyways. Sure the WRX has AWD and pulls 227 HP stock at 217 Torque on a 4-cylinder intercooled turbo engine but the whole point of the import scene is to start from scratch and work your way up. Buying a car that already GODLY defeats that purpose. The fun lies in the months of buying new parts, installing and tweaking your ride to you own specification. Then you can truly say "this Lancer is mine". Besides $16,000 vs. $24,000 gives you alot more cash leftover to buy parts.

Quick Reply: US EVO not to be turbo?