Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

FQ400 Question ...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2006, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always assumed it was the same MR suspension. At least it seems they implied that on Top Gear.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew LB
The Turbo is a GT35 on the FQ400. Its laggy, but has amazing power up top.

Watch it beat out a Lambo Murciallago here:

http://videos.streetfire.net/hottest...997DC125EC.htm
i didnt know it had a gt35.....what is the a/r on it? anyone know? i thought it was something more like a 25g.

i love that video with the lambo though, there is a guy in my area with an orange gallarado and i always mess with him. he never does anything though, but i cant wait to see the look on his face after he finally does.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Question Fq-400 Bov

Does anyone know what BOV is used in the FQ-400?

- Grey

Last edited by Grey Razor; Apr 29, 2006 at 07:56 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Don't forget that the FQ's and imports in the Asia-Pacific region have Active Yaw Control, which stateside evo's dont have. It makes a huge difference on the track.
I wonder though if it is possible to buy and install AYC on local evo's. Has anyone ever done this? The hardware should be available overseas and the casings in the body should have no clearance issues. I would think that it would just be a bolt on procedure to do. Correct me if i'm wrong.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wait... does AYC really make that big of a difference? I've heard plenty of minus' but never hear about the pluses. no one ever goes "oh i love my ayc" mostly its people saying "i love my car now that i have mechanical diffs" or "i hate ayc" "its too unnatural feeling" "it breaks all the time"

not to mention on the evo ix the rear suspension was lowered to keep ayc from interfering as much as possible.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by B4IFLY
Don't forget that the FQ's and imports in the Asia-Pacific region have Active Yaw Control, which stateside evo's dont have. It makes a huge difference on the track.
I wonder though if it is possible to buy and install AYC on local evo's. Has anyone ever done this? The hardware should be available overseas and the casings in the body should have no clearance issues. I would think that it would just be a bolt on procedure to do. Correct me if i'm wrong.
It will not fit with the USDM gas tank. We have an extra 2 gallon capacity.

-Paul
Old May 1, 2006, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Just add a fuel cell
Old May 4, 2006, 07:38 PM

wait wait wait,..... if i want my IX to handle as good as the FQ in that video,.. I will need a AYC???

it might not go into the Evo 8,.. but would it work for the IX?

not to mention on the evo ix the rear suspension was lowered to keep ayc from interfering as much as possible.
or does the IX has it already?

oh yeah,. what the hell is an Active Yaw Control anyways?

I thought for my IX to handle as good,.. that MR's suspension, (or good aftermarket shocks) would do the trick or close to it.
Old May 4, 2006, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spooling Dreams
wait wait wait,..... if i want my IX to handle as good as the FQ in that video,.. I will need a AYC???

it might not go into the Evo 8,.. but would it work for the IX?

or does the IX has it already?

oh yeah,. what the hell is an Active Yaw Control anyways?

I thought for my IX to handle as good,.. that MR's suspension, (or good aftermarket shocks) would do the trick or close to it.
None of the US EVO's are equipped w/ AYC.

AYC is achieved by utilising a torque transfer differential which is controlled by various sensors and an electronic control unit (ECU) to enable a difference in torque to go to each of the rear wheels.

by increasing the level of torque to the left rear wheel and reducing the torque level to the right wheel, it is possible to change the yaw movement of the vehicle. This in turn will cause the vehicle to steer inwards and reduce the amount of slip on the front tyres, thus resulting in reduced under-steer. It also works if over-steer occurs.

Best way to see a diff.....is get on GT4 and play w/ it on the EVO.

Turning it up -> when you left off the throttle around a turn...the car immead Turns in and too much almost Oversteers w/o giving it throttle.Crazyness!BUt BRILLIANT!
Old May 4, 2006, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

The FQ 400 would cost 300k if it were sold in Brazil ... 200% more than in the US!
Old May 4, 2006, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spooling Dreams
No. Just lots of driving school. Even the most base model Evo in the hands of a trained driver is amazingly fast at the track.

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com
Old May 4, 2006, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mach V Dan
No. Just lots of driving school. Even the most base model Evo in the hands of a trained driver is amazingly fast at the track.

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com
If you are using the video clip for comparison towards the end of the clip Clarkson states you can buy the low end evo and get 95% of the thrills the fq400 gives for 1/2 the price. If you really need MO' POWA just add a few things and a bit to the suspension/brakes. Then most importantly tighten the nut behind the wheel.
Old May 4, 2006, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by M3this
Hey guys I did a search for this and got nothing relevent for what I was looking for. Dose anyoneknow where I can get a list of the different parts that are on the FQ400 vs a reg evo IX or VIII ?
The absolute best reference for the entire "FQ" series of cars is the British "Mitsubishi Lancer Register" website.

Emre
Old May 4, 2006, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mmelmann
So if an Evo IX MR has say 350 whp or ~390 bhp... will it hold it's own against an FQ-400?
The difference is that the FQ-400 has forged internals, a huge turbo, and all the associated mods needed to get the most out of them. The 400 crank HP that this set-up puts out is VERY mild. There's literally tons of room to grow. Just by cranking the boost, you can safely pass 500 crank HP. Some of the guys on MLR.com have topped 600 HP on their FQ-400's without touching any hardware.

When you take a stock Evo VII, VIII, or IX, you might be able to reach 400 HP without opening the engine...but that's pushing it pretty much to the max. The 4G63T in the FQ-400 is just getting started where stock Evos top out. There's tons of room to grow.

The cost like 47,000 pounds to purchase, holy crap! My Evo 9 cost me roughly $31,000 and I added $1,800 in Vishnu mods to bring it up to around the 390 bhp mark.
That's not really a fair comparison. A totally stock Evo VII or IX will cost you around 30,000 pounds sterling. For the same car, you're paying $30,000 US dollars. Cars are much more expensive in the UK. And, don't forget, the prices in the UK include V.A.T., whereas our prices are before taxes. If you were able to buy an Evo VIII MR FQ-400 in the USA, the price would probably be closer to $50,000.

I'd like to think that we can basically have the performance of an FQ without having to pay the quid. Right?
Wrong. Sure, you can have a 400 HP Evo IX for maybe a few thousand in mods. But the FQ-400 is a whole other animal. Call up Vishnu, AMS, Buschur, or one of them and get a price quote for the forged internals, turbo kit, Motec ECU, 6-piston Alcon monoblock calipers, and all the dozens of other trick bits that went into the FQ-400. The 6-puck racing clutch alone would cost more than all your Vishnu mods put together!

This is basically a 600 HP car.

Emre

Last edited by Kayaalp; May 4, 2006 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Typos fixed!
Old May 4, 2006, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DanJ
Then most importantly tighten the nut behind the wheel.
i think this is a joke but cal me stupid,i dont get it and if it isnt a joke .......huh