Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

FQ400 Question ...

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2006, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by her0
I noticed that suspension components are not listed. Anyone know if FQ400 handles any differently from the standard evo?
It's the stock Evo VIII MR suspension, including S-AYC. The only difference is the ridiculous Alcon 6-piston monoblock calipers with floating rotors.

Originally Posted by Spooling Dreams
wait wait wait,..... if i want my IX to handle as good as the FQ in that video,.. I will need a AYC??? ... I thought for my IX to handle as good,.. that MR's suspension, (or good aftermarket shocks) would do the trick or close to it.
S-AYC by itself isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be. I drove an Evo VI--TME with AYC and it was cool, but hardly earth shattering. All it does is help the car rotate when you enter a corner too hot.

A properly set up car with good, track-oriented alignment can rotate just as easily (and even more predictably). If you invest $2,000 in a good coilover suspension and actually find someone who knows how to properly choose appropriate spring rates, adjust damper valving, corner balance, and fine-tune the suspension, you'll totally eclipse the handling of a stock Evo VII MR. There's nothing magical about the stock MR suspension or S-AYC. Good old fashioned suspension tuning will get you much further.

Emre

Last edited by Kayaalp; May 4, 2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old May 4, 2006, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spdrcr456
i think this is a joke but cal me stupid,i dont get it and if it isnt a joke .......huh
it's a joke, basically means take some driving school sessions. Sorry sarcasm is a bit hard to send over the interweb.
Old May 4, 2006, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

is there a link where we can see that the FQ400 Uses a GT35? id like to see where it says what turbo it uses, what trim n such. thanks!
Old May 5, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DanJ
it's a joke, basically means take some driving school sessions. Sorry sarcasm is a bit hard to send over the interweb.
ok i kinda thought that but wasnt sure.
funny anyhow
Old May 5, 2006, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by PapitoEVO8
Lancer Evolution VIII MR FQ400 parts list:

Custom built Garrett GT Dual Ball bearing Turbocharger
Owen Developments custom manufactured cast Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold and Exhaust Elbow
Omega Forged Pistons
HKS Forged Con Rods
HKS 680cc Injectors
Zytec ITP116 High Pressure Fuel Pump
HKS 1.6 mm Steel Head Gasket
Motec M800 OEM ECU
HKS Iridium Spark Plugs
Jan Speed High Flow Sports Cat
Alcon competition derived 240 mm high clamp mode, heavy duty clutch complete with Cera-metallic 6 paddle sprung centred drive plate
HKS High Strength Head and Big End Bolts
Alcon Mono6 Brake Kit incorporating Monobloc 6 pot road caliper with 343 mm curved vein Disc on a Aluminium mounting bell assembly with Ferodo DS2500 brake pads
Ralliart Aero Mirrors
Carbon Fibre Front Lip Spoiler
Carbon Fibre "Sharks Tooth" Rear Vortex Generator
PIAA High Performance Light and Wiper Upgrade
Gloss Black Team Dynamics Lightweight Alloy Wheels
No CAMs? Did I miss something? If not, that goes against all the discussons here in not upgrading the turbo and keeping stock cams... Interesting to hear it can flow to 600hp with more boost, stock cams?
Old May 5, 2006, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
The difference is that the FQ-400 has forged internals, a huge turbo, and all the associated mods needed to get the most out of them. The 400 crank HP that this set-up puts out is VERY mild. There's literally tons of room to grow. Just by cranking the boost, you can safely pass 500 crank HP.
Emre
Yeah, but I'm not comparing a modified FQ-400 vs. a modified IX. I'm saying that if you want to have an Evo that will hold it's own against cars such as a Gallardo... an Evo IX MR with two mods (full exhaust and say a Vishnu tuned Ecutek) for less than $2K on top of the original purchase price will basically suffice... you just wouldn't have the AYC.

A FQ-400 is not a 600 hp car basically... it's a 400 hp car that costs over $50,000
An Evo IX is not a 400 hp car.... but it can be for less than $2,000 in mods... so the grand total is about $36,000 more or less to get a "400 hp" Evo.
That's the point I'm trying to get across.
Old May 5, 2006, 03:42 PM

What kind of numbers does an FQ-400 (as they are sold) put down typically? That would be interesting to know. From that point we can better compare our mildly modified (comparatively) VIII/IX numbers. Anyone know?
Old May 5, 2006, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cdavy
No CAMs? Did I miss something? If not, that goes against all the discussons here in not upgrading the turbo and keeping stock cams... Interesting to hear it can flow to 600hp with more boost, stock cams?

Old May 5, 2006, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

well if you say average dyno is about 16% drivetrain loss, that puts the FQ400 at

340HP at the wheels.
Old May 5, 2006, 03:47 PM

I just could not imagine the FQ-400 build-up goes through all those mods and left the CAMs stock... Are they simply missing from that list? Seems like there would be some HKS 272s in there... Anyone?
Old May 5, 2006, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoRecordSetter
well if you say average dyno is about 16% drivetrain loss, that puts the FQ400 at

340HP at the wheels.
Nice...I guess W/ what little mods I have and the conservative tune @ 20psi I'm a "FQ400"

Just need AYC,ACD and some coils @ 1/5 the price.
Old May 5, 2006, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
Originally Posted by Kayaalp
The difference is that the FQ-400 has forged internals

Emre
Correct me if im wrong but the evo has forged internals ... thats one of the many reasons that the 2.0L can make more power then the USDM STI's 2.5L (sti's dont have forged internals).

Old May 5, 2006, 04:19 PM

I seem to recall the same about the VIII having forged rods and/or pistons. Seems like you could make an FQ-400 without building it up if it is only tuned to ~400 crank HP...
Old May 5, 2006, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by M3this
Correct me if im wrong but the evo has forged internals ... thats one of the many reasons that the 2.0L can make more power then the USDM STI's 2.5L (sti's dont have forged internals).

I believe so....but also can handle the power due to the CAST Iron Block...the EJ20 and EJ25 do not have that either

I was told the 4G63 was pretty much the "4cyl equivalent" to the Mighty 2JZ(cast Iron Block also).
Old May 5, 2006, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

im sure the FQ400 Cams arent the same as the stock 4g63 Cams, but they arent listed cause they are for that car maybe.

does anyone have more information on the TURBO used? i want some statistics on it, trim and wheel sizes.