Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Who has or had a 2003/2004

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:23 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who has or had a 2003/2004

I was wondering what the problems were that typically occured to give the 03/04 Evolution the label or unreliable. I have heard about the Brembo and Wing fading but who cares, it's not going to hurt the car. I heard of gear grinding, replaced transfer case and a bad clutch, that is about it. How bad is it when a gear is grinding and usually what does it cost to fix, does it just come back? How much is a new transfer case and what generally happens for it to break, I already know about the clutch I'd just try to buy a used well taken care of EVO that has that step already done. I was just wondering what to possibly expect if things DO go wrong, as far as if these problems are taken care of then they typically don't happen again. I am getting mixed reviews, some say there 03 has been GREAT and some say, EW EVO NO!. Also, is there ANY reliability advantage of having a 2004 or is it 100% the same animal? I was planning on buying a new WRX and going to more practical route til I saw a 03 Apex Silver driving acrossed the bridge then I got goose bumps.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Every time I read a post like this I get the impression that a lot of people think there is some list of problems that comes along with buying the car. Some cars have problems and some don't. It is that way for all vehicles, and I think a lot of it has to do with how people treat their cars. I mean no offense here, it just seems like there I read 10 posts like this a week.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

As for me, I own an 04, and I have no issues with it. I don't beat on it, and I maintain it well. I don't think you will be disappointed if you buy an Evo. If it is used just take your time and find a well kept one.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:39 AM
Account Disabled

I'm glad to hear, I want the car but can't afford new and pricing for 03's and 04's are very nice now. $20-23,000k at most is what I see them at. What other car with 10-30k that gives you what this gives you can do what this car does? Nothing I think
Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

I bought a used 03 that just had a new clutch put in. I have had no problems with the transmission including the clutch (just a stock replacement). I have had to buy new tires, and those were not cheap! Other than that, no real problems. Make sure you change all the fluids when you get it though, hard to trust anyone but yourself when it comes to a used car.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Well I bough my 03 E8 used and the only problem w/ it was the wing fading so I had the top of it painted. I'm having some issues now w/ boost and my CEL light, but that is to be expected when you start modding your car. As for my Calipers, they havn't faded at all yet. I keep them clean.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

i have a '03. broke it in for 1000 miles, changed oil at 500, 1000, 1500 miles and then routine, changed T-case and tranny fluid at 5000k miles and again at 11k miles with recommended factory lubes, never launched.

car is flawless, and has a few bolt-ons, its my daily driver and i work as a resident doc so i go back and forth to the hospital numerous times everyday which includes highway driving, and i drive aggressive with WOT blasts on onramps.

like someone said, its how the car was driven and maintained.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

I have a 2003. The clutch is fine. I beat mine up for 25,000 miles with about 300whp for 15,000 of them. I was suprised how long it lasted. You cannot expect it to last if you are constantly launching or dont know how to drive.

As for the Transmission, I got the famous 5th gear grind around 20,000 miles. The dealership denied my warranty on it, and also told me there is nothing wrong. The transfer case is also fine, unless you put the wrong fluid in there/ and or the constantly launching thing or dont know how to drive.

Other then that, and paint chips all over my hood, its a great car
Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
I've got an 03 with 66000 miles that runs 11s. I put over 50k miles and 50 launches on the stock clutch before needing to replace it. My transmission occassionally grinds and I get some gear noise. That is all I've had problems with.

Just like any car, probably even worse than an average car because the EVO just begs for abuse, if you beat on it and don't take care of it, you'll have problems. The wing and brakes seem to be hit and miss. I don't have problems with either, but I garage my car at home. Interestingly, the few people I know that have had problems, had problems with both the wing and brakes.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

I have an 03 also, Let see tranny rebuilt. Grinding again. I do the maintain it. No real problems.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

I bought a used 04 last year and its great...Im getting ready to change all the drivetrain fluids soon, cant wait to see if it makes it shift smoother than it already does with the new stuff....BG1 in the tranny and diaqueen everywhere else

Just look over the car, test drive it, check for the obvious see if you can get any details on the vehicles history and so forth, I dont believe mine was all that much abused, if at all? and I got it with 8k miles....now it has 20k and I dont abuse it whatsoever, I have yet to launch the thing...I just enjoy driving it without being a wild man behind the wheel

If you notice you only hear the horror stories of peoples cars on here, most of the time they say I dunno what happened the TC blew..I was just crusing down the highway?? haha riiiight you were....There are more evo's out there with no problems than there are with problems, its just you only hear about the bad ones that probably could be chaulked up to the driver not the car...Kinda like airplane flights? you never hear of the thousands of successful flights a day, but you always hear of the crash and that what makes people scared to fly...similar concept? Big picture you will be fine buying a used evo, just be patient and just look over everything on it....
Old Apr 4, 2006, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

26k - stock clutch, no faded brakes or wing, no probs pretty much.
I like to think that I take good care of it though. I don't launch it from lights, or do donuts in the snow, etc.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 07:26 AM
CGs
Evolving Member

I have a '03 with close to 31,000 miles -- no brake peeling, not wing discoloration, no mechanical problems. Stock clutch (never replaced), no TC problems, no gear grind -- but I did bring my clutch pedal out a little to match my shifting style (or mis-style).

Daily driven for about 4 months total of it's life - driven 3-4 days a week for the other part of it's life. Take it to a second gear redline pull almost everytime I get on the highway so I don't just baby it, but I do have pretty tame mods (panel filter, axel back, flash).

Good luck on your choice, I'll never regret having my '03 Evo
Old Apr 4, 2006, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had an 03 8 and the only problem i had was mitsubishi. the brakes clear started to pill but i found out it was because of a wheel cleaner i tried out. and i replaced the clutch with a act heavy duty and it was perfected to me after that
Old Apr 4, 2006, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 03 and only had trouble with a bad MAF when I first bought it. I had more trouble with an aftermarket ECU flash than anything else. No paint, brake, or real transmission issues. My stock clutch lasted to about 10,500 miles and my tires lasted to about 12,000 miles. It runs 12's and I'm happy.