Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weird sound when starting

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2006, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird sound when starting

I have been getting a weird noise when my car sits undriven for a day or more. The sound is coming from the engine bay and occurs only once while it is turning over. It kind of sounds like the engine beginning to move and the sound is the unbonding of the pistons. I have just gotten my oil changed, so it isn't a lack of oil or bad oil.

Does anybody else get this? Does anybody know what it is, or how dangerous it is?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

well what does it sound like? my engine makes alot of different types of noises..but usually all of them put a smile on my face. so what does yours sound like?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:43 PM

It sounds almost like a lack of lubrication for a fraction of a second. Once the engine starts going, it will be fine.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Well when ever you start a car there is always a lack of lubrication... It takes a few seconds for all the lubrications to be at the right place.. Correct me if im wrong.. Thats what my Autos Teacher said.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

My car has been starting to make that noise too in the past month. The exact symptoms as scheppmo stated. It makes a loud "thunk" type sound once when its turning to start. Once it starts and everything gets going, everything runs and works perfectly and great. I dont know if its a matter of oil b/c with fresh oil it still does it. I was thinking perhaps the starter was starting to go bad. Anyone else have any experience with this?
Old May 23, 2006, 09:30 PM

I think I will get a tune up, maybe it will solve this problem. When is the first tune up due? I am at 18,000 miles.
Old May 23, 2006, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

why waste your money on a tune up if the car is running good.its just probably common dry start knock untill the oil pressure comes up which is just about instantely.