Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

sirius sat. radio antena location?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:56 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry XM is far superior. My MyFi works without any docking or connections. Truely 100% wireless Radio and the programing is far better. Opie and Anthony own.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Yes, and for $200 with no additional weight, I don't ever have to listen to commercials. Big difference from the comments I make.
Geeze.... i forgot to also add /sarcasm.

Lighten up man.

My removable subwoofer box is the only thing that adds any weight to my car as the amp is only a few pounds. The subs and its enclosure still don't weigh enough to make much of a difference.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by War Monger
Sorry XM is far superior. My MyFi works without any docking or connections. Truely 100% wireless Radio and the programing is far better. Opie and Anthony own.
Well, coming from Sirius I can tell you that Sirius really is 100% wireless also (no long cords between the car and the satellite in space). Sorry, couldn't resist!

I don't really care for Opie & Anthony or Howard Stern, but both services offer 100% commerical free music stations. I switched from XM because their playlists tend to be very shallow for the kind of music I listen to.

Sign up online for free trials of XM and Sirius online and decide which you prefer.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
How well the antenna works on the dash or the rear deck really depends on where you are located, especially with Sirius. Sirius satellites move and your location, time of day and direction all play a part in reception. If you are in a large metro area you will be picking up repeaters and reception will be better. I use a live portable Sirius unit on my commute from NYC to Jersey without drop outs. Some antennas are better than others too. PM me if you want more info.

Bill
Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

wow...thanks for all the responses already. I'm going to think about all these options, I'll let you know what I decided to do after I install all of it. I like the idea of keeping the antena in the back seat deck inside the car or on the trunk by the rear window too
Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:15 PM

I bought a Sirius Starmate which has a small antenna. I mounted it on the dash with double sided tape right up by the glass in the center. The cable tucked between the winshield and the dash easily.

I mounted the suction cup in my cupholder, and with my arm on the armrest all the controls are right at my fingertips. I filled the cupholder with some dense foam cut in the shape of a cup and it is solid. I hid the wires under the center console and tapped the cig lighter for switched power. I am happy with the installation and reception.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

anetnna
http://www.msprotege.com/members/jre...s/100_0001.JPG

controller thingy. wires go out the top of the cubby since there are 2 pieces of it, just slipped them between the two. no, it's not hard wired either, that thing plugged in is the receiver. maybe one day i'll wire it
http://www.msprotege.com/members/jre...s/100_0003.JPG

one day the controller will make it below the cubby to that little space in front of the shifter but it'll require some cutting to make it fit right so for now in the cubby it stays
Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:23 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ksattic
Well, coming from Sirius I can tell you that Sirius really is 100% wireless also (no long cords between the car and the satellite in space). Sorry, couldn't resist!

I don't really care for Opie & Anthony or Howard Stern, but both services offer 100% commerical free music stations. I switched from XM because their playlists tend to be very shallow for the kind of music I listen to.

Sign up online for free trials of XM and Sirius online and decide which you prefer.
There is NO Sirus Unit you can walk around with, say job with. It has to be docked to a power support and atenna. My Myfi just goes with me, no docking and works.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

There is NO Sirus Unit you can walk around with, say job with. It has to be docked to a power support and atenna. My Myfi just goes with me, no docking and works.
http://www.sirius.com/gs/s50/
Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

I have the new Alpine CDA-9856 CD/MP3/WMA Receiver ... i routed the sirius box into the glove box, along with the ipod control cable(best $30 ever)... then i took off the A pillar, and ran the sirius antenna a few inches away from the pillar and stuck it there with some double sided tape. then i popped the A pillar back on. I have signal cut from time to time, but not that much.

If I move it, it will probably be to the middle of the dash since other seem to have no problems with it there.

I actually took pics of my setup this weekend, I just haven't found the dock for my digital cam yet lol.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Correction: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8vl5sbK...s+s50&i=607S50

Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Wait.... now that i've done some reading, i must correct myself. It DOES have to be docked to receive live content. It then saves it for portable use.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I really miss Ron & Fez too... I've heard from a lot of people that the MyFi is in and out, but when it works, it's great.

As far as music programming, you can't possibly say that XM is "far superior" - they're virtually identical... for talk radio I think XM may be better, but for Sports, Sirius is FAR superior:

xm.................................................. ..Sirius
MLB, NHL, Racing, PGA................................NFL, NBA, EPL, NHL

Baseball and golf are boring enough to watch... but to LISTEN to???

If you don't care about the sports programming, and you are primarily interested in Opie and Anthony then it may be fair to say that XM is superior for you.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Andrew LB
Wait.... now that i've done some reading, i must correct myself. It DOES have to be docked to receive live content. It then saves it for portable use.
exactly, like I explained way up there ^^^. Anyway, like I said, you can record 3 stations all night and then listen to them all day, so you literally have well over 20 hours of programming (up to 50 hours total) from 3 different stations to listen to PLUS whatever you've recorded to the unit as individual songs. In other words, it doesn't matter that it's not live, it's the exact same programming as if you were to listen to it straight broadcast! In other words I can tape (say) howard in the early morning and then listen to it whenever I have time during the day, even undocked... The XM unit may be marginally better in the event that you're following a sports game while walking around, or you need to call into a show, but other than that, the s50 is as good as anything...
Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:51 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Andrew LB
I was HOPING you would say that. That POS Unit has to RECORD a show, it CANNOT PICK UP LIVE BROADCASTS like XM units can. It can only record 2hr blocks at a time. I HATE that Sirus says that this thing is portable, it CANNOT, Repeat, CANNOT recieve a LIVE Broadcast, it can only record stuff and THEN you can listen to it on the fly. The MyFi? LIVE.

Case closed

Quick Reply: sirius sat. radio antena location?