Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

sirius sat. radio antena location?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by War Monger
I was HOPING you would say that. That POS Unit has to RECORD a show, it CANNOT PICK UP LIVE BROADCASTS like XM units can. It can only record 2hr blocks at a time. I HATE that Sirus says that this thing is portable, it CANNOT, Repeat, CANNOT recieve a LIVE Broadcast, it can only record stuff and THEN you can listen to it on the fly. The MyFi? LIVE.

Case closed
Nice to know - I almost bought one!

Chill
Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

I was HOPING you would say that. That POS Unit has to RECORD a show, it CANNOT PICK UP LIVE BROADCASTS like XM units can. It can only record 2hr blocks at a time. I HATE that Sirus says that this thing is portable, it CANNOT, Repeat, CANNOT recieve a LIVE Broadcast, it can only record stuff and THEN you can listen to it on the fly. The MyFi? LIVE.

Case closed
congratulations. now back to what this topic is about...
Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
There is NO Sirus Unit you can walk around with, say job with. It has to be docked to a power support and atenna. My Myfi just goes with me, no docking and works.
Don't be so sure, I've had one for over 6 months. It is much better than a Myfi, just not something available to consumers yet. Myfi usually only work if you are in a repeater area since XM trajectory is much lower. XM does have a better repeater network to make up for it.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:08 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by BillAce
Don't be so sure, I've had one for over 6 months. It is much better than a Myfi, just not something available to consumers yet. Myfi usually only work if you are in a repeater area since XM trajectory is much lower. XM does have a better repeater network to make up for it.
B.S. I live out on the Jersey Shore, I take this thing MILES out on my boat, 100% Service. It works perfectly, I can listen to live stuff to, you know, like NEWS, or a live radio show or live music performance, not old stuff.

The Sirus unit looks a HELLOVA lot cooler. FYI the MyFi works underground in Pennstation, how cool is that? Subways too, and anywhere perfectly in NYC with what you said, a repeater, but 100% portable. Otherwise you just hang it in you belt or whatever, perfect service.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ddubb
wow...thanks for all the responses already. I'm going to think about all these options, I'll let you know what I decided to do after I install all of it. I like the idea of keeping the antena in the back seat deck inside the car or on the trunk by the rear window too
Is your window tinted? most tint is metalized and it will block some signal. If so, mount on the dashboard. Too bad we don't have fiberglass trunks like some cars, you can mount the antennas inside the trunk then and they work perfectly. I have mine inside my CF trunklid on my Evo. I have a Sigma on glass antenna in there too, which is always an option. You can get them from Nissan, Subaru or www.thesiriusstore.com sells them.

If on your trunk be careful, some antennas don't have the rubber insulators and will scratch the paint.

Bill
Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Trust me... it's not as big of a deal as it may seem. In fact I like it better because it's like using TiVo. I prefer to watch DVR'd tv so I can skip the commercials and segments I'm not interested in. I looked very hard at both units before I bought, and I realized that the amount of time that I would truly need to listen to an absolutely live show while I was walking around compared to one that I had recorded an hour earlier was virtually nil... I'd much rather be able to skip to the next song than sit through 3 minutes of "live" radio that I don't necessarily want to hear, you know? And I really don't care if I hear the exact same Howard (or Opie, or whatever) at 8am or at noon... nothing changes in that time...

They are both amazing players, but for most people's honest-to-god real life, you'll notice no difference. I'll say that for the people who walk around all day and gotta hear it live: Get the XM... happy?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

BTW, I walked around Vegas all week last week with 40 hours of programming to listen to/sort through, and somehow I survived...

I can see how you'd want a live weather report out on a boat, but you can simply take the dock with you... it's totally portable and has AC or DC in...

Last edited by SterlingEvo; Apr 4, 2006 at 02:18 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:21 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
They are both amazing players, but for most people's honest-to-god real life, you'll notice no difference. I'll say that for the people who walk around all day and gotta hear it live: Get the XM... happy?
People won't notice that they would have to record everything they want to listen too? Schedule it at 2hour blocks at a time? So just listen everything over and over again?

Vs.

Live Broadcasts and listening to ANY CHANNEL you want, whenever you want.

Please.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

I have to say the S50 is dissapointing. Look on Sirius fan sites at the hundreds of posts regarding lock ups, firm ware problems, lack of support. There are many simple features that it lacks and make it hard to compare to a TiVo. It really didn't replace the Ipod like advertised and you coulod have bought an ipod and a trouble free Sirius receiver for less money.

The Myfi is far from perfect too. XM practically gives them away and if you aren't in clear view of the sky or in a reapeter area it won't work well. They had an extremely high return rate and an external antenna is needed for good performance. Xm technology is much better though.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

People won't notice that they would have to record everything they want to listen too? Schedule it at 2hour blocks at a time?
Vs.
Live Broadcasts and listening to ANY CHANNEL you want, whenever you want.
Please.
Ok, you're talking exclusively about talk radio here (2 hour blocks), because does it really matter that you hear Kelly Clarkson at 12:35pm or 7am? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most people are more concerned about 24 hours of music compared to a couple hours of talk. I mean if you are buying Sat. Radio ONLY for one short M-F program, you're wasting your money anyway... As I mentioned too, the most AWESOME feature is that you can "listen" to up to 3 CHANNELS' simultaneous programming even if they overlap... so if I want to listen to Howard (say) in the morning, then I can also be recording 2 other stations and then listen to that after. Also, I have 2 home docks, and 2 docks for wherever I am (even on a boat) where I'm not wasting the battery power to boot...

So just listen everything over and over again?
I also mentioned that you can record 50 hours of programming, then scan through it and record 50 more, on the same channel or different. In other words 3 times the daily programming and variety of listening to just one channel "live". So, no... not the same thing over and over...

Listen, I'm not arguing that the MyFi ISN'T a good player... I'm simply defending the s50 and arguing that it IS a GREAT player. If you want XM then get MyFi, and if you want Sirius then get the s50...
Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

I got mine center in front...
Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BillAce
I have to say the S50 is dissapointing. Look on Sirius fan sites at the hundreds of posts regarding lock ups, firm ware problems, lack of support. There are many simple features that it lacks and make it hard to compare to a TiVo. It really didn't replace the Ipod like advertised and you coulod have bought an ipod and a trouble free Sirius receiver for less money.
Most people who were disappointed with the s50 didn't understand (due to misleading Sirius advertising) that it wasn't "live portable" - and just as many people were disappointed with the XM player, because it simply wasn't universally receptive. The most recent firmware update added features and solved issues... plus with a "trouble free" sirius receiver you can't record anything. It's like an iPod, but with constantly revolving "free" songs in 100 different styles.

It's like people who post on here about problems with certain vendors or products. You never hear from the silent thousands of satisfied people... and like most people who post on here, they didn't understand what they were getting or had different expectations.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Case closed
Now if you actually read my post immediately after that one, you'd see that i corrected myself.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 04:03 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
Ok, you're talking exclusively about talk radio here (2 hour blocks), because does it really matter that you hear Kelly Clarkson at 12:35pm or 7am? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most people are more concerned about 24 hours of music compared to a couple hours of talk. I mean if you are buying Sat. Radio ONLY for one short M-F program, you're wasting your money anyway... As I mentioned too, the most AWESOME feature is that you can "listen" to up to 3 CHANNELS' simultaneous programming even if they overlap... so if I want to listen to Howard (say) in the morning, then I can also be recording 2 other stations and then listen to that after. Also, I have 2 home docks, and 2 docks for wherever I am (even on a boat) where I'm not wasting the battery power to boot...

I also mentioned that you can record 50 hours of programming, then scan through it and record 50 more, on the same channel or different. In other words 3 times the daily programming and variety of listening to just one channel "live". So, no... not the same thing over and over...

Listen, I'm not arguing that the MyFi ISN'T a good player... I'm simply defending the s50 and arguing that it IS a GREAT player. If you want XM then get MyFi, and if you want Sirius then get the s50...
There is no way you can convince me that pre recorded material is better then live. What if I want to change a channel? What if I don't LIKE the song recorded? Live is better always. Live talk too. But you have a choice, not limited to what you recorded on one channel.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
here's where my xm antenna is located...perfect location vs having it mounted in the rear...limo tints kills reception in rear... + here is a pick of my latest mod....no evolution VIII uk badge... looks cleaner

Last edited by Evoryder; Apr 4, 2006 at 05:13 PM.

Quick Reply: sirius sat. radio antena location?