Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Questions About First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions About First Oil Change

Hey all,

I was wondering, when should I do my first oil change? at 500miles? or 1000miles?

Am I being too **** thinking that I should do it at 500miles?

Also, lol since I don't have the free maintenance anymore like I did w/my Evo 8, I'm going to try and do the oil changes myself on the IX.

I've seen it done a bunch of times, but never actually DID it myself.

For the first oil change, do I need to do anything special? to flush out all the metal shavings and whatnot? Or should I just let all the old oil drain out, and then just pour in new oil?

Any help/comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Some people change their oil that soon just to get the shavings out . Its really a personal preference though. I didn't change mine till 5000 and my car is fine so far. So really its up to you. . And as far as needing anything special , no. Just a regualr oil change man.... don't be so nervous , your not pinning a corsage on a prom date its a car .
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

I did mine at 500, then 5000, 10000 and so on. No problems here.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I'm going to change the oil at 1,000 miles, throw on my first round of mods, and then change it again in another 1000 miles. After that I'll do the Mobil1 every 3k. Just what my plan is.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

I havent done mine yet, will probably do it at about 1500 miles. Ive heard that the factory fill has special additives in it that help with break in and that you should leave it in for at least 3000. Im not quite sure this is true, but figured that instead of changing at about 500 like I was going to, I'd wait a little longer.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

I'm doing my first change this week. I'm at roughly 2500 miles. I'll be using a stock mitsu filter and 10w30 Royal Purple Full Synthetic.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NocturnalEVO
Hey all,

I was wondering, when should I do my first oil change? at 500miles? or 1000miles?

Am I being too **** thinking that I should do it at 500miles?

Also, lol since I don't have the free maintenance anymore like I did w/my Evo 8, I'm going to try and do the oil changes myself on the IX.

I've seen it done a bunch of times, but never actually DID it myself.

For the first oil change, do I need to do anything special? to flush out all the metal shavings and whatnot? Or should I just let all the old oil drain out, and then just pour in new oil?

Any help/comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Do not touch it until 1500 miles atleast. The oil in your car has an additive from Mitsu for brake in period. in other words its NOT pure Mobile one. you need that oil there to brake in the car right.

The shavings will be cought by the filter no worries.

I changed dmine at 1800 miles when i was sure the car is almost done with brake in.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:21 PM

Is there any truth to the fact that there are additives in the oil, and that you should leave the original oil in for 3k at least, to allow it to fully bond with the car???
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm... is there any way to verify for SURE that there is an additive in the oil to help with break-in?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
Do not touch it until 1500 miles atleast. The oil in your car has an additive from Mitsu for brake in period. in other words its NOT pure Mobile one. you need that oil there to brake in the car right.

The shavings will be cought by the filter no worries.

I changed dmine at 1800 miles when i was sure the car is almost done with brake in.
not true, I had mine sampled at 500 miles and it came back as oil, no unexpected additives or fillers of any kind. they said the metallic particles they saw in the oil were consistant with the breakin of a new engine.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Andrew LB
I'm doing my first change this week. I'm at roughly 2500 miles. I'll be using a stock mitsu filter and 10w30 Royal Purple Full Synthetic.
Where do you get your RP, and for how much?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Greg K
not true, I had mine sampled at 500 miles and it came back as oil, no unexpected additives or fillers of any kind. they said the metallic particles they saw in the oil were consistant with the breakin of a new engine.

Who is 'they'
Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fluid1
Where do you get your RP, and for how much?
I get it from my friends shop here in Los Angeles. www.rennermotorsport.com

As for price... i got two cases at cost. I'm not sure what the regular price is.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fluid1
Who is 'they'
the testing house that sampled my oil, can't recall the name here at work as it was 25k+ miles ago. I can see if I have the printout when I get home tonight.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Greg K
Whats the cost to get your oil tested? I may send in a sample just to see whats in it.

Quick Reply: Questions About First Oil Change