Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Moving Radio to Accomodate Gauges?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2003, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving Radio to Accomodate Gauges?

Anyone know if the radio can be moved to where the "cubby" is so that gauges can be mounted where the radio would have been? I think the garnish that the in-dash 6-disc changer uses can be used to hold the radio.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

i don't see why you couldn't move it, but i know in the lancer the stereo wouldn't fit where our "chubby" is. just my 2 cents
Old Apr 8, 2003, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

I think the little cubby is a standard DIN size, if you have success moving it there I'd be very interested in hearing about it!

EDIT: And I have a seen a 6 disc changer in a OZ Lancer in that slot there. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by iodine23
I think the little cubby is a standard DIN size, if you have success moving it there I'd be very interested in hearing about it!

EDIT: And I have a seen a 6 disc changer in a OZ Lancer in that slot there. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.
I'll stop by the dealer and see if I can get a part number for the garnish that the changer uses. Hopefully I can buy that separately.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 03:10 PM

You can buy that DIN sized panel from the dealer. I just got one from our local dealer. Part #MZ598263EX, list price $69.22! I haven't moved the radio down there, instead I installed some DIN sized gauges. Another option for people not wanting to buy DIN sized gauges (like the Mitsu ones):
I have a carbon fibre piece that replaces that cubby and has a flat panel where standard 52mm gauges could be mounted.

Let me know if you are interested. Thanks.

Mike
michael@tadmotorsports.com
Attached Thumbnails Moving Radio to Accomodate Gauges?-dash-piece.jpg  
Old Apr 8, 2003, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Rallyevo

I have a carbon fibre piece that replaces that cubby and has a flat panel where standard 52mm gauges could be mounted.

That looks pretty good! However, is there something with a more "OEM" look? Something like plain black?
Old Apr 8, 2003, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

i would be interested in that, but i don't know about a composite material for the interior
Old Apr 8, 2003, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

i dont have an evo, but my interior is basically the same . . .look at my pictures to see what i did . .
Old Apr 8, 2003, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by wags528
i dont have an evo, but my interior is basically the same . . .look at my pictures to see what i did . .
That's EXACTLY what I want to do. So is that the DIN panel that Mitsubishi sells?
Old Apr 8, 2003, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

well actually, the lower radio trim piece is from mitsubishi yes . . . . but the carbon fiber piece for around the gauges i made myself . . .
Old Apr 8, 2003, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

that looks good! where did you get the cf for that?
Old Apr 8, 2003, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

wags: What size are those gauges you have in there?
Old Apr 8, 2003, 05:43 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

The JDM EVO VIII has the HVAC controls located where we have the cubby. If these JDM parts are available and interchangable, it could be a solution worth considering. This leaves a din space under the radio (or over if yoou choose to lower the radio. It will no doubt be more expensive than the solutions previously discussed in this thread.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

jfh,

Actually I emailed japanparts about that, but they haven't gotten back to me. I was wondering if their auto climate controls would work in our USDM Evos, in which case, I'd just slap that in there and open up 2 DINs up top. You're right, it would be more expensive but hey, you get what you pay for... nothing like a nice auto climate control unit!
Old Apr 8, 2003, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

In fact, here's a picture Mark posted in another thread:

This would be a good/cheap alternative to importing the climate control unit (or if it doesn't work with our USDM Evo's). Hurry with the FAQ!

Oh yeah, and a quick question about the Defi's if anyone knows.. I like the D-gauges cuz they're cheaper, and the illumination on those matches our factory cluster colors (amber/red needle). Since you can't daisy chain the DG's like the Defi-Link ones, would you have a mess with the wires? Or can you still hide them like in the above picture?

Quick Reply: Moving Radio to Accomodate Gauges?